Lt. Commander
# 11
02-18-2010, 03:06 PM
I'm running into the same error, WIn Vista 64-bit with an 8800 GT using the latest drivers, I am fully up to date with the 196.21 drivers for my card and STO gives me the error as of today.
Lt. Commander
# 12
02-18-2010, 03:14 PM
I have an nVidia GTX 280... It can handle anything to date and I'm getting this message, too.

I mean, I don't mind being told that my drivers are out of date, but don't plaster it all over the place like I'm an idiot. At least take the Steam approach and say "hey, there are updated drivers that you might want to check out, if not, fine, and you won't see this message EVER AGAIN."

Plus, Steam doesn't force me to reset my graphics settings to low or default settings in order to even start the game. I absolutely loathe this sort of approach. "Because our software THINKS your computer is using old technology, we're going to force you to change your graphics settings, okay?"

Again, it's nice to be alerted to driver updates, but I know my computer's capabilities better than any software does, and even if my computer might have low specs (which, I might add, it definitely does NOT), I should still be able to do what I want as far as graphics settings. If I want to chug along at 10FPS because I think it's a good trade-off for pretty pictures, let me do it. Ugh...

A minor cosmetic annoyance, to be sure, but it's still uncalled for.
Lt. Commander
# 13
02-18-2010, 03:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by germanshepherd View Post

A minor cosmetic annoyance, to be sure, but it's still uncalled for.
Its worse than that.

I wouldnt mind it IF it was right - but its not, its wrong - its telling you to update something which is already as up-to-date as possible.

Its worse than the post office:

Worker: You need to fill in the green form.

Me: Ive filled in the green form, here it is.

Worker: No, you need to fill in the green form.

Me: WTF

STO: You need to update your graphics card drivers with nvidia

Nvidia: Your graphics card driver is uptodate

STO: You need to update your graphics card drivers with nivida.

Lt. Commander
# 14 Running Better
02-18-2010, 04:31 PM
I too get this message on startup. I have a Dell Latitude D830 with a Quadro NVS 140 chip with the latest Dell approved driver. Definitely below spec but it's been running the game so far at minimum settings. Whatever this patch was, it improved my performance considerably in space and on the ground.
Lt. Commander
# 15 One More Tally
02-19-2010, 04:03 PM
I'm also getting this message; DELL Vostro 1500 w/ Nvidia GeForce 8400M GS; purchased about 2-3 years ago, and just updated with v195.62 drivers (latest from Nvidia web site) as of today. Probably a bug, and with the number of posts in this thread alone, I'm sure this will be taken care of fairly soon. It's a good idea to post your system specs if you're getting this message so the DEVs have some useful information to work from.
Lt. Commander
# 16
02-19-2010, 05:06 PM
dev response regarding this here:

http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...d.php?t=121015