Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > PvP Gameplay
Login

Lt. Commander
# 11
02-20-2010, 05:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longasc

The Klingon Empire can provide about as much story as the Federation. Just play the ages old Star Fleet Command series, and you can see what fascinating campaigns they created for Federation, Klingons, Romulans - in a way the ages old game Star Fleet Command III has more and better story / content that Star Trek Online has today.

Even Guild Wars did not managed to entice the majority of players to play too much PvP before the more casual and larger scale pvp modes came into play. Small arena pvp is not enough to keep a lot of people entertained for ages, and for sure not in a subscription based game.
Absolutely agree on that one, there were even whole games based on Klingon content (Honor Guard, Klingon, etc) not to mention the abundance of episodes (mostly DS9) which give a fairly good lookout on what a Klingon might do besides kicking Feds around.
Lt. Commander
# 12
02-20-2010, 05:21 AM
Also, I wanna see other "cosmetic" features fixed in lieu with the PVE; such as new uniforms, armor/kits showing on your character. All that plus the lack of PvE content just makes the Kling Empire feel.... unfinished.
Lt. Commander
# 13
02-20-2010, 06:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amialis View Post
And hopefully in time it will, but asking for a pvp system, in a pve game no less, that is more then rudimentry at the start is kind of silly to me.

People complaining their is no fleet action pvp, no less then a few weeks after release, is kind of silly as well.

If anything before adding in more pvp varieties they have to address the pvp queuing system that causes many teams to become incomplete at the start, as well as finding a way to address the population imabalance.
If these arent adressed it doesnt matter what pvp varieties they have...
I don't really disagree with you on this, but I think the complaints are valid, and the only way Cryptic will ADD those things eventually is if people request them. While I think it would be silly to expect those things to happen any time soon, it's quite reasonable to complain about their absence in the meantime.

Of course there is productive complaints and non-productive ones, but that's another argument entirely.
Lt. Commander
# 14
02-20-2010, 06:59 AM
Why? Because it becomes more and more boring to play Cracked Planetoid over and over again. Because it sucks to buy rare and epic items. I want to find it and I want to have the feeling of success. Because it would be funny to see a Klingone campaign. Because I want to do more than CP and Nebulas

Enough reasons?
Lt. Commander
# 15
02-20-2010, 07:43 AM
I agree with the OP.

Cryptic's PvE is not that exciting. You wanna know what Klingon PvE is going to be like? Easy enough: zone in, shoot anything that's shootable and click anything that blinks. The difficulty will be tuned so that the below-average gamer can complete it, which means it's going to be mind numbingly boring for the rest of us.

You're going to get PvE which is even duller than your 300th run of Cracked Planet, you're going to level past it in 3 days if you don't simply get bored with it first.

It's a waste of development time.

What we need is more/better PvP. Yes, doing your 300th deathmatch can get boring, but the solution is to add more maps and more gametypes, especially bigger, more complex games that have some strategy to them. Cryptic style PvE is not a solution.
Lt. Commander
# 16
02-20-2010, 08:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by madgelo View Post
when you can just shoot feds all day long

way more fun! and productive ( helps Tissue companies make money)
Please PvP is a poor quake death match at the moment and I can only do so many PvP missions a day. Also I like to to Win in PvP and that means not having a team using common equipment and having no special abilities against a team wih elite equipment and loads more specials.
Lt. Commander
# 17
02-20-2010, 08:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amialis View Post
And hopefully in time it will, but asking for a pvp system, in a pve game no less, that is more then rudimentry at the start is kind of silly to me.

People complaining their is no fleet action pvp, no less then a few weeks after release, is kind of silly as well.

If anything before adding in more pvp varieties they have to address the pvp queuing system that causes many teams to become incomplete at the start, as well as finding a way to address the population imabalance.
If these arent adressed it doesnt matter what pvp varieties they have...
Personally I think you're being silly blindly defending Cryptic.

They knew there was going to be PvP very early on, so there's no excuse for not having thought out the PvP systems better. They've also had more than ample time to come up with content for us. That they failed to listen to the real Klingon community that was following the game and telling them they needed to have Klingon content besides just PvP is their fault.

The MAIN reasons for the population imbalance is because of them advertising that the Klingon side is "all about PvP", and the lack of content on the Klingon side. That they can't see that mistake for what it is is also their fault.

To the OP, the reason people are asking for Klingon PvE is because most mmo players want a variety. They're not "PvPers" or "PvEers". They want both, and they want sufficient amounts of both. PvP is fun, but it turns boring to most people if they have to do it too much, just like PvE does to them if they have to do it too much.

Lt. Commander
# 18
02-20-2010, 09:13 AM

What Hagon said. Cryptic decided to shorten their development cycle by 2 years. This was unfortunate, because while coding an engine does take a lot of work and time, putting a storyline worth its salt also takes a lot of work and time. And before you can config and develop an engine to your game, there needs to be a solid storyline in place. Star Trek is not only about the Federation, but about the collection of races and the political relationships of the UFP with the other polities in the quadrants.

For whatever reasons, Cryptic decided to do only 16-20%, in my estimate, of the storyline for launch. Claiming expansion as excuse is good for only so far, but given how shallow the Klingon faction currently is, someone apparently blew the timetable by large fubar factors. If there had been a storyline of sufficient detail, this would not have been so glaringly obvious.

Marketing has been going into serious damage control after all this, and even then long patches of silence are all the answer we receive in reply for our most elemental query: why?

It's one thing to build expansion material when supplied with a solid detailed story to direct it. Quite another when there is only the faintest trail of a story. Storyline theme is a key factor to MMO development. It not only offers content for the players, but also gives cohesive direction for the developers.

Lt. Commander
# 19
02-20-2010, 09:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Cid

What Hagon said. Cryptic decided to shorten their development cycle by 2 years. This was unfortunate, because while coding an engine does take a lot of work and time, putting a storyline worth its salt also takes a lot of work and time. And before you can config and develop an engine to your game, there needs to be a solid storyline in place. Star Trek is not only about the Federation, but about the collection of races and the political relationships of the UFP with the other polities in the quadrants.

For whatever reasons, Cryptic decided to do only 16-20%, in my estimate, of the storyline for launch. Claiming expansion as excuse is good for only so far, but given how shallow the Klingon faction currently is, someone apparently blew the timetable by large fubar factors. If there had been a storyline of sufficient detail, this would not have been so glaringly obvious.

Marketing has been going into serious damage control after all this, and even then long patches of silence are all the answer we receive in reply for our most elemental query: why?

It's one thing to build expansion material when supplied with a solid detailed story to direct it. Quite another when there is only the faintest trail of a story. Storyline theme is a key factor to MMO development. It not only offers content for the players, but also gives cohesive direction for the developers.

I can only imagine they decided they had to get their game out before star wars the old republic had to get people commited enough so when a better game came out everyone doesn't just leave.
Lt. Commander
# 20
02-20-2010, 09:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azrael102 View Post
I can only imagine they decided they had to get their game out before star wars the old republic had to get people commited enough so when a better game came out everyone doesn't just leave.
It's much simpler than that I think, Cryptic is owned by Atari and Atari NEEEEEEDS money right now or it's going to die.