# 21
02-20-2010, 09:49 AM
Agreed. It was one of WoW's best features
Lt. Commander
# 22
02-20-2010, 10:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanatari
I'll go ahead and say that this wont happen, because in the years CoH has been out they haven't done it. This tells me it's more than likely not possible with the current engine. We must also consider how fundamentally broken many key aspects of the game are. Adding new major features is not something I want to see when the game has major flaws even now.
If they put a UI into the game, then it's possible to mod it.

Personally, I'd love to see some UI customization added. The game sorely needs it, but if there's one reason why it can't be done, I'd have to attribute it to IP. Sure it was one of WoW's best features, but blizzard owns the ******** IP. it's theirs. For Cryptic, there may be some issue with their CBS overlords. The execs may not want us to make hello kitty themed UI's. Or how about the first person that mods his power distribution bars to look like lightsabers or something? We want it, cryptic may even want to give it to us, it may not be wholly up to them though.
Lt. Commander
# 23
02-20-2010, 03:47 PM
Don't really see how modding could threaten the Star Trek brand... simply don't expose the parts of the API that might be brand-sensitive (such as the appearance of ships, Star Trek logos, ect).

What a sensibly controlled but reasonably powerful modding API can do is turn a passionate fan base into a massive engine for innovation at very little cost to the company.
Lt. Commander
# 24
02-20-2010, 11:28 PM
I wholly agree. Checking out new UI mods is one of the things that keeps WoW fresh. It is an activity that keeps people enthused about the game even when they aren't actually playing it. A player that has something new to look at after a year (and has control of it, no less!) is less likely to get bored -- and less likely to unsubscribe as a result.

The customer is entertained, somebody else did the work, and Cryptic gets the money.

About 15 years ago I started running a hobby game store -- now I run a chain of them. It is absolute truth that what keeps a product line selling for years after its introduction is not the smiling faces of your employees -- it's the volunteer enthusiast that donates his time to keep it alive. If I lost all my employees, I'd be sad but I could replace them. If I lost all of my volunteers, then for each one, a line of products would stop selling.

If you give the creative enthusiast an opportunity, he will spread his enthusiasm to others. If you tell him to shut up and stop bugging you about running a game, he'll go elsewhere and someone else will reap the benefits of his motivation.
Lt. Commander
# 25
02-21-2010, 12:38 AM
Agreed. This is a very good idea
Lt. Commander
# 26
02-21-2010, 12:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salgueira
If you give the creative enthusiast an opportunity, he will spread his enthusiasm to others. If you tell him to shut up and stop bugging you about running a game, he'll go elsewhere and someone else will reap the benefits of his motivation.
I think this is something that someday everybody will figure out -- world first (for the creatives); elements in that world second.
Lt. Commander
# 27
02-21-2010, 01:34 AM
/signed.
So much about the default ui in this game bugs me. WoW spoiled me with what it let's you do with your ui (even though i mostly ran the default). So many what i consider to be fundamentals for a ui, detachable and movable chat panes, 5+ action bars scalable and configurable in the horizontal or vertical plus a bunch of other stuff that's already been mentioned.

Please, please let the talented players that enjoy doing this type of thing make the game better for all of us.
Lt. Commander
# 28
02-21-2010, 02:08 AM
/signed

i 100% agree on that we need a moddable UI.
It wimake this game so much better already. it really helped people out in games like WoW etc etc
Lt. Commander
# 29
02-21-2010, 02:53 AM
Signed with an Ultra Combo.
Lt. Commander
# 30
02-21-2010, 07:08 AM
The biggest reason they should add at least HUD customization is:

The controls in Star Trek (the actual panels used by TNG onward) are user-customizable! We know this because there was one episode where someone else was temporarily in command and complained that a given workstation wasn't using a "standard configuration"