Lt. Commander
# 1 Product Key already in use
02-20-2010, 08:58 AM
so, I bought the game, installed it on my old computer, but the motherboard ended up going out on it a few days later. I bought a new computer with my income tax money, and I wanted to reinstall the game. I'm new to PC gaming, and it said that the product key was already in use. I gathered that it was referring to the game on my old computer. I was wondering if there is a way to make it so that I don't have to go buy the game again, because... well I won't do that.

Can I put the game on my new computer or get another key from Cryptic? I mean I paid for it, and got the subscription. I would hope they can help me.
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-20-2010, 09:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enterline View Post
so, I bought the game, installed it on my old computer, but the motherboard ended up going out on it a few days later. I bought a new computer with my income tax money, and I wanted to reinstall the game. I'm new to PC gaming, and it said that the product key was already in use. I gathered that it was referring to the game on my old computer. I was wondering if there is a way to make it so that I don't have to go buy the game again, because... well I won't do that.

Can I put the game on my new computer or get another key from Cryptic? I mean I paid for it, and got the subscription. I would hope they can help me.
Just copy the folder from old computer's disk onto your new one, then make a shortcut on your desktop to the exe file in STO folder, and it should work.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-20-2010, 09:01 AM
The product key is tied to your account, not a computer. You can use the account on any computer that has a current version of STO.

You can only have one concurrent login for the account (can't share it with someone else to use).
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-20-2010, 09:03 AM
I wish I could get the info from the old computer, but its fried.

Its installed and patching, it worked around the product key I guess. Weird.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-20-2010, 09:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enterline View Post
I wish I could get the info from the old computer, but its fried.

Its installed and patching, it worked around the product key I guess. Weird.
Not really weird the key is tied to your account. You can install the game on a million computers if you like. You can then log in at any of these computers, as they key is tied to your username and pass. Not the computer.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-20-2010, 12:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tedgp123 View Post
Not really weird the key is tied to your account. You can install the game on a million computers if you like. You can then log in at any of these computers, as they key is tied to your username and pass. Not the computer.
Ive got the same problem. Rebuilt my system with a new MB, CPU and video card. The problem it that the install gets stuck at the web page asking for the access key but there is no option that I see to install the game without entering the key.

Any ideas or other work arounds?
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-20-2010, 01:09 PM
went the same way for me.. entered the key on the new computer. the keybox went red. was a little bummed went to the kitchen to get a soda and when i got back it was installing...didnt dare question it
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-20-2010, 01:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddredar View Post
Ive got the same problem. Rebuilt my system with a new MB, CPU and video card. The problem it that the install gets stuck at the web page asking for the access key but there is no option that I see to install the game without entering the key.

Any ideas or other work arounds?
Download the launcher, and let it update by itself. You'll need an active account to start updating, but it will work.
The key is tied to the account, not the computer. You could have a billion computers all with STO on. As long as you have an active account, you will be able to patch and play.