Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 11
02-21-2010, 12:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by xylander View Post
Well also, silly posts like this one assume that people share your sentiment. They sold over a quarter million lifetime and annual subscriptions in prelaunch. So, by definition your argument is somewhat moot. That, and there's a nice dev tracker feature here on the forums that you can check to get this information.

So, allow me to translate the OP's concerns to a more common level:

"A GM/Dev has not spoken to ME and my concerns are what are important."

To the wind with the thousands of replies that are in the dev tracker. Am I right?
I think you should start realising the game is dying.

Theres thousands and thousands of us that wants answers. If not, our accounts will stand at Cancelled forever.

This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Cryptic Studios Forum Usage Guidelines ~Dionaea
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 12
02-21-2010, 12:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawkill View Post
Right, this doesn't even remotely address the concerns reviewers and players have voiced about the following:

- Repetitive; simplistic; very little incentive to advance. http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/star-trek-o...1069983p1.html

- Ground combat is a clumsy disaster Most battles aren't tense or exciting because they're far too easy Shallow, disjointed exploration Missions are repetitive and poorly written. http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/start...ry;read-review

etc. BTW, I hate these two sites for reviews but that doesn't mean I don't think they are spot on here.

Those are MAJOR issues regarding the state of the game being unpolished, beta-quality, and content lacking. These are almost exactly the same problems found in CO, and one that they are now facing a massive player revolt and people leaving in droves.

I appreciate the link and I've seen that. Yes, it does consolidate the minor gameplay issues themselves. But this is regarding the game system as a whole and whether it was ready for launch in a time where they are in a market with 10+ year MMO licenses.

The number one biggest problem with Cryptic: They honestly believe they can create these licenses ALONE.

They have done it with Champions, where they have over 25+ years of source material to use and they come into a launch with almost nothing. They have not seriously enlisted the writing staff of the game system and sourcebooks throughout the process.

This is even WORSE with STO: there is NO ST series in production at this time. HUNDREDS of writers are out of work or working on non-ST projects. WHY would they settle for not enlisting their help, the help of folks from Starfleet Battles, and other systems only to use VOICES? Reason: they rush projects and they are CHEAP. Well, when the customers leave the game their "investment" shows it all.

Does anyone really believe this game was ready for launch?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 13
02-21-2010, 12:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Securion View Post
II think you should start realising the game is dying.

Theres thousands and thousands of us that wants answers. If not, our accounts will stand at Cancelled forever.

This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Cryptic Studios Forum Usage Guidelines ~Dionaea
This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Cryptic Studios Forum Usage Guidelines ~Dionaea
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 14
02-21-2010, 12:53 PM
Major news and feedback isn't going to be posted on the forums anyway, they move too fast and most people are incapable of using search. Instead, it's much more likely to show up on the front page, a la

http://www.startrekonline.com/node/1158
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 15
02-21-2010, 12:55 PM
in case you missed it, there's a handy link to the post where a player is compiling all the dev responses on key issues in my sig.


as for giving definative dates for key points.. lets say they put a post out saying "klingon PvE will be in by end of march" and the end of march comes around and its not ready for any one of a thousand reasons (poor AI, bugged maps, objectives not completing properly etc)

what do they do? do they release it anyway so they've met that "promise" and have the forums flood with a thousand angry people at the state of the content? or do they hold it off and say "sorry, its not quite ready yet" and have the forums flood with a thousand angry people at the fact that they SAID it'd be in by then?

there are many things in life you cant put a deadline on, or should i say you SHOULDNT put a deadline on. programming is one of those things. you never know how it'll pan out exactly until you compile it and run it once you think you're finished, and once you do that you dont know how long it'll take to locate the exact parameter thats screwing up and causing the issues you're seeing... why did STO launch with problems? because the publisher, under pressure from the owners of the IP, put a deadline on it..

so no, i for one wont be pushing devs for a definative date for anything they've said will be put in, instead i'll be keeping my eyes on what has been said and what gets delivered.. and if something looks like its being pushed aside or forgotten its up to us as a community to ask if its still being worked on and to push for an answer to that question, not a when.

All MMO's have a drop off of substantial numbers after the first month, as long as a game retains enough subs to keep it viable and keeps them long enough to keep the new content coming it'll do fine.. and with an IP like this as long as the game gets to its first major expansion, then that expansion is likely to be advertised and put the game back in people's minds.. some of those first month drop offs may even come back to give it a second look and if the issues that had them leave in the first place are fixed, they're likely to stay.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 16
02-21-2010, 01:10 PM
ZenBrillig, Shingi,

Again, I appreciate the responses and I know that what you are talking about is in line with certain particular "adjustments" that they are planning on making to a particular game mechanic. What I'm trying to address is the need to get a massive DEV response (I think it is great that a player is compiling this on their own time, I'm not sure a customer should be gathering all of this together for the developer. In fact, they really should not have to) that counters what is going on now.

Champions and Star Trek are probably two of my most favorite genres as a kid. I grew up in the 80's and after playing pnp rounds of Champions while 5-6 of us battles through a mission with great fun, we'd probably head back and watch some old episodes and later the TNG. It is extremely difficult to bring these to the computer game arena, some say almost impossible. ST has tried it for over 20 years and I can count on one hand the number of "good" games. The rest are trash. Champions is absolutely massive in the game system itself and no one even touched it.

They need to understand that they bear heavy burdens not only in carrying the licenses but creating a polished, content-rich game that enlists the HELP and ASSISTANCE of the genre creators as well as the fans.

If they do this alone, they will certainly fail.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 17
02-21-2010, 01:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pawnzerd
I am so waiting to get rid of all the whiners and noobs.
If posting your concers about issues with STO is being a whiner, then I would like to see more whiners so Cryptics knows what they need to change.

Also, I think we all fall in to the noob title seeing as how this game has only been live for a few weeks.

Honsestly, if you like this game in it's current state than I guess you would be happy if people no longer complained. I had high hopes for this game and am not pleased with the current product vs what has been talked about by Cryptic as far back as 2008.

Cryptic has my list of concerns, I only hope they continue to work hard and develope this game. Once some more content is added for all grades I'll venture in to this game again. As of now, i do not enjoy the fact I am only given 2 missions per grade. I have to then grind out 3/4 of that grade to advace to the next grade only to be given 2 missions for that grade. And no, I did not skip any missions including fleet actions. Only thing I have never done is PvP and I shouldn't have to PvP to level.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 18
02-21-2010, 01:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tovarish22 View Post
They've actually addressed quite a few concerns: server stability, server queus, problems with pre-order items, fixing graphical errors and revising confusing/misplaced mission text.

Just because they haven't fixed the issue YOU feel is most pressing doesn't mean they haven't fixed any at alll.
WoW, they made progress on the things that should have been working from day one? All hail Crytpic. LOL. Seriously, the lack of any real movement with the game portends what people should already know about Crytpic games - they are small, simplistic, and all about the box sales. This game is currently 95% or so of what it will ever be, if that is good enough for your $15 a month then go ahead - if not move along.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 19
02-21-2010, 01:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrys View Post
They need to understand that they bear heavy burdens not only in carrying the licenses but creating a polished, content-rich game that enlists the HELP and ASSISTANCE of the genre creators as well as the fans.

If they do this alone, they will certainly fail.
Honestly, I don't believe this is true. Fans/players are not qualified to be game designers - trying to collaborate with them, in my opinion, is much more likely to result in failure.

Collecting feedback from the community is a good thing, and Cryptic is doing that. But a real give-and-take, back-and-forth communication between the developers and the players is both expensive and counterproductive.

/rage on - and J.J. Abrams blows
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 20
02-21-2010, 01:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrys View Post
ZenBrillig, Shingi,

Again, I appreciate the responses and I know that what you are talking about is in line with certain particular "adjustments" that they are planning on making to a particular game mechanic. What I'm trying to address is the need to get a massive DEV response (I think it is great that a player is compiling this on their own time, I'm not sure a customer should be gathering all of this together for the developer. In fact, they really should not have to) that counters what is going on now.

Champions and Star Trek are probably two of my most favorite genres as a kid. I grew up in the 80's and after playing pnp rounds of Champions while 5-6 of us battles through a mission with great fun, we'd probably head back and watch some old episodes and later the TNG. It is extremely difficult to bring these to the computer game arena, some say almost impossible. ST has tried it for over 20 years and I can count on one hand the number of "good" games. The rest are trash. Champions is absolutely massive in the game system itself and no one even touched it.

They need to understand that they bear heavy burdens not only in carrying the licenses but creating a polished, content-rich game that enlists the HELP and ASSISTANCE of the genre creators as well as the fans.

If they do this alone, they will certainly fail.
Again, we all realize that this game was pushed out far too quickly.

With that said, it isn't in Cryptic's hands when to do that. You have CBS wanting results, and wanting results NOW.

This leaves the people you're bashing, the ones actually programming and working, desperately trying to keep the game afloat.

And hey, Champions Online is fun to me, thank you very much. It has its own stable fanbase.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:11 AM.