Lt. Commander
# 1 Why STO will succeed
02-21-2010, 10:53 AM
There is nothing bigger in the sci fi world than Star trek.
Silicon valley is the land of trek.
The whole valley is watching this game. It is probably standard issue right now

BUT

If this game fails or continues much longer in this state, Cryptic AND Atari are finished. I and many other people like me will avoid future titles like the plague! I will not buy their stuff simply out of principle. They have to know this. Taking this title on was a huge responsibility. Star Trek fans are very loyal but if you mess with them THEY WILL REMEMBER!

Therefore, they will work as though their carreers depended on it. They will produce a great product.
If not, with this economy, ... well. Let's just remember they have much more to lose than the $50 you paid for this.

C'mon Cryptic you can do it!
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-21-2010, 11:35 AM
Should I cancel my sub?
Lt. Commander
# 3 Agreed
02-21-2010, 11:46 AM
Guzz, I think Cryptic has put out enough material to not be finished if STO fails, but it seems to me (just from what I've read in these forums) that their reputation was already severely hurt by Champions Online.

The extremely loyal fanbase that Trek has have waited many years for a Star Trek game with the fundamentals of space and ground play. Cryptic HAS to make both more in-depth and Trek like to succeed here.

Will it work? I do not know. Do I hope? YES! I want to truly feel like a captain of a starship. As of now, they could probably change the name of STO to "Random Space Somewhat Online" and be just fine...

I hope your theory is right! People are paying attention, the fans are talking, and there are plenty of us willing to work with Cryptic to make something happen to make this game the Star Trek game some of us have waited for.

Heck after "Star Trek: Conquest" and "Star Trek: Encounters" it can't get much worse.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-21-2010, 11:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoso1701 View Post

Heck after "Star Trek: Conquest" and "Star Trek: Encounters" it can't get much worse.
It can always get worse
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-21-2010, 11:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by guzzoid View Post
There is nothing bigger in the sci fi world than Star trek.
There's this little thing called Star Wars.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-21-2010, 11:51 AM
I think the rule of "when in doubt, blame Atari" applies here.

When you're talking about destruction of popular franchises in the video game medium, Atari has a far more impressive track record than Cryptic.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-21-2010, 12:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morrus View Post
There's this little thing called Star Wars.
No doubt Star Wars is huge. But I still maintain Star trek is bigger.

Also Star Wars is more for the kid in you.
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-21-2010, 12:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by guzzoid View Post
No doubt Star Wars is huge. But I still maintain Star trek is bigger.

Also Star Wars is more for the kid in you.
its a close call, but i go with star trek as well. its more focused on the mature audience than star wars is.
star wars probably made more money though and could make more money with millions of star wars nerds playing old republic ( i love star wars, dont get me wrong) than star trek could.

looking on the movie side, i dont know if there are any plans in the star wars department to make some more, but i know that the actors on the new star trek movie made contracts for at least 2 sequels.
since the new movie was a huge success, and rightfully so... it could make star trek as a franchise much more dominant than it is right now.

in terms of franchise strength i would rate them as equal at the moment.
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-21-2010, 12:32 PM
Players dont matter, only money does. Cryptic are raking it in and thats all they care about.

Star Wars > Star Trek any day.
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-21-2010, 12:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeppouk View Post
Players dont matter, only money does. Cryptic are raking it in and thats all they care about.

Star Wars > Star Trek any day.
Atari is a business. OF COURSE money is going to come first.

What do think this is, the land of milk and honey?

Pro-tip: Lucas Arts is a business too.