Lt. Commander
# 11
02-21-2010, 12:42 PM
LOL....please...

1) This is not the largest IP in sci-fi, though its definately a front runner.

2) It will not 'fail' (depending on your definition). It will live on for many years, most likely hovering in the 300,000-ish active player range. Its a niche game (as soon as design considerations have to be made for a 3rd part IP, you are by definition in the niche realm), so it will have niche numbers.

3) Both Crytpic and Atari have already made a profit off this, it's a win for them no matter what.

4) Future sales will not depend on STO, if the SWG snafu didn't sink SOE, this will not sink Crytpic or Atari

5) I am no fanboi of either Cryptic (by a LONG shot, they make simple/shallow games and have very poor design standards) OR ST. You can see my post history for evidence of both of those. So there is no bias here either way.

6) Welcome to the real world.
Lt. Commander
# 12
02-21-2010, 01:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaddock
It can always get worse
Oh my gosh I spit my coke when you said that.
Please don't scare me like that.

:-)
Lt. Commander
# 13
02-21-2010, 01:18 PM
STO will probably never be an MMO that grows in success or subscription numbers over the years like WoW has because it has already had such a dissapointing launch (and I don't mean the server issues... that's been minimal). Instead, I mean that the game is so unfinished and is getting brutalized by the mainstream game reviewers and on MMORPG and gaming forums everywhere. Where-as World of ******** was praised from the very beginning.
Lt. Commander
# 14
02-21-2010, 01:24 PM
IMO cryptic games are the exact opposite of WoW.

In WoW, level 80 was the beginning. They even have +XP bind on account items and streamlined the leveling process to get you to 80 sooner.

In cryptic games, level 1 was the beginning. it's about the journey and not the destination. Let's face it, right now the end game's pretty bleak I am having tons of fun along the way though.
Lt. Commander
# 15
02-21-2010, 01:27 PM
In reality this game sucks ****, plain and simple. If you are a fanboy and are clinging to hope, you better take your time levelling, because once you reach RA5 you are going to want to kill yourself.

This game will fail because it's obvious to me that the developers are just Star Trek fans, not MMO fans.

This is not an mmo.

Major fail.
Lt. Commander
# 16
02-21-2010, 01:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morrus View Post
There's this little thing called Star Wars.
Star Trek is a front runner.
But Star Wars by leaps and bounds is on top.

And I'm a trekkie but damn you gotta love both.
SO since I bought the lifetime that gives me headroom to play Star Wars when it comes out.
Cant wait!!!
MY inner sci fi nerd just came out.
Lt. Commander
# 17
02-21-2010, 01:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeppouk View Post
Players dont matter, only money does. Cryptic are raking it in and thats all they care about.

Star Wars > Star Trek any day.
Its like a football game.
LOL

I'm sorry my inner nerd is sci fi and I love both.
Im paying Star Wars when it comes out too.
I bought lifetime with STO so this should be interesting....
Lt. Commander
# 18
02-21-2010, 01:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoitbernard View Post
In reality this game sucks ****, plain and simple. If you are a fanboy and are clinging to hope, you better take your time levelling, because once you reach RA5 you are going to want to kill yourself.

This game will fail because it's obvious to me that the developers are just Star Trek fans, not MMO fans.

This is not an mmo.

Major fail.
Here's a perfect example of a troll post breaking the forum rules.
Yawn.
Lt. Commander
# 19
02-21-2010, 02:01 PM
Star Trek Online has more 'war' in it than Star Wars does.
Lt. Commander
# 20
02-21-2010, 02:08 PM
If you set the definition of 'success' low enough you can call anything one. STO is a bad game and as such it does not deserve out subscription money.

p.s. I love Star Trek and Star Wars, both equally and both for different reasons