Lt. Commander
# 11
02-20-2010, 08:31 PM
can I take a guess and say your running a laptop? I know from the ram there's no way your going to be able to run this game.
Lt. Commander
# 12
02-20-2010, 08:34 PM
the problem is PC gaming is not like an xbox...you can't just expect to run any game on any system, you need to know your system specifications and check the 'minimum requirements' which is located on every PC game box or on the website if you purchased the game digitally.

Star Trek Online Minimum System Requirements:
Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo 1.8 Ghz or AMD Athlon X2 +3800
Memory: 1GB RAM
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce 7800 / ATI Radeon X1800 / Intel HD Graphics
DirectX®: Version 9.0c or Higher
Hard Drive: 10GB Free Disk Space
Network: Broadband Internet Connection Required
Lt. Commander
# 13
02-20-2010, 08:35 PM
OP: As other posters have stated, your computer's graphics aren't good enough to play ANY new computer games - by 'new', I mean any PC games with 3D graphics that have been released in the past couple years.

Eedrah is right, you should have checked the system requirements before downloading. =(

Anyway, if you have an Intel 82865G, you don't have a proper graphics card. What you have is an integrated or built-in video controller that's part of your motherboard. If you want to play 3D games with decent graphics, you need a dedicated graphics card - typically an Nvidia or ATI.

Star Trek Online CAN run on some integrated video systems, but I think the best it supports is Intel HD Graphics. Your 82865G is an Intel Extreme Graphics 2, which is much older and much worse.

Now. If you're able to spend a bit more money, it's possible you could upgrade your computer with a dedicated graphics card...reasonably cheaply.

But what are the rest of your computer's specs? If you don't have a dual core processor and decent RAM, you'd still have issues even if you get a new graphics card.

And if you're using a laptop/notebook, not a desktop, then frankly you're out of luck.
Lt. Commander
# 14
02-21-2010, 09:04 AM
I am running a PC and I refuse to give up on playing this game. I have waited to long and worked two hard and shed way to many tears to give up. Now I need your guyes help to get into the game please? Im thinking I need to know what type of video card I need to get. So I probably need to find out what type of computer I have to get the correct video card any help on helping to find out which computer I have and what type of card I need and if I can get it from best buy?
Lt. Commander
# 15
02-21-2010, 09:25 AM
Okay, if you want to upgrade your computer, it is not especially hard to do, but you do need to know what you've got in order to know what you can potentially put in there to upgrade it. So try this. Go to the website I have linked below, and download the utility CPU-Z, you can see the link to download it at the top left of the page which that link will take you to:

http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php

This is a little utility which you can run that will tell you what is in your computer in terms of components, and is useful when you are trying to figure out how you can upgrade a computer.

Install CPU-Z on your computer and then run it by double clicking on the icon it will create on your desktop. CPU-Z will check out your computer and you will see a window with several heading tabs on it, one of which says 'mainboard'. Click on that tab and note the make and model type of 'Motherboard' in your computer (that's the big main circuit board in your computer onto which things like the processor and the graphics card fit by means of slotting into it).

When you know what mainboard you have, you can either go to the mainboard maker's website and read the specs of what it supports, or look for an online review of that board and see what it can support in terms of graphics cards. Hopefully you will see that it can support a PCI-X graphics card, and if that is the case, you can simply buy one, power off your computer, open up the case and slot the graphics card into the appropriate slot, and you will be in business once you install the right drivers for it, which will usually be on a CD that comes with the graphics card, although you might have to update them online to get STO to run.

Sometimes you might have to put a more powerful power supply unit (PSU) in your computer in order to do that kind of upgrade, since some graphics cards use quite a lot of power, but unless you buy a really fancy high-speed graphics card, there is a good chance it will work okay without the need to do that. Very occasionally, you might also have to put an additional cooling fan in your computer to make sure everything stays cool, but this is not that common an occurrence, and even if it was necessary, additional cooling fans are very cheap (just a few quid/dollars) and simply plug into a couple of power pins on the mainboard.

If you have never done anything like upgrading a computer before, it can seem complicated, but it really is not that hard to do (it's just plugging stuff in), and there are plenty of guides on the 'net to be found on what precautions you should take. This is simple common sense stuff mostly, such as unplugging the computer so you don't electrocute yourself, and remembering to hold delicate computer components on their edges to negate any possibility of damaging their delicate circuitry.

Al
Lt. Commander
# 16
02-21-2010, 10:12 AM
If you took your computer to a local computer store that has a service department, they could probably tell you everything too. (Usually) just takes a quick peek inside for a trained pro to know what hardware they're dealing with.

Keep in mind, if the rest of the computer is too old, a new video card isn't going to solve the problem if the rest of the hardware can't keep up.
Lt. Commander
# 17
02-21-2010, 01:49 PM
Would taking it to best buy work? I dont know where to go?

Thanks to all who are trying to help me...
Lt. Commander
# 18 yeah mate
02-21-2010, 02:02 PM
bestbuy tech section can let u know what u need to do.

1) ask if it is upgradable to play modern games
2) get a quote for the cost DO NOT SAY YEAH JUST DO IT, UNLESS U HAVE THE MONEY

they wont give it back till you pay.,

worst case fella. you have to get rid of ur pc and get a new one, or best case depending obn ur finances

when i was ur age i made a similar mistake by not reading requirements, but like urself i didnt really understand what they mean, so always write down what u own and the speeds of the parts , and take to the store and if u dont know, ask it saves expensive mistakes.

best of luck fella.

widowmaker
Lt. Commander
# 19
02-21-2010, 02:10 PM
Best buy should be able to tell you. Is it a brand name computer?

if so go to their website and search for specs on the system. or look for reviews abut the same system.

also i have a 3.4ghz Pentium 4 that registers as a dual core but i think it is the early dual core that wasn't a true Dual core and sure ain't a core 2/core 2 Dou.

but it does have a 500GB HD , fast enough DVD Writer Drive and 2 GB's Memmory and an Nvidia GEForce 8400 GT with 512MB ram PCI-E vidcard.

Runs perfect, only problem with the game is some slight draw distance stuff like the far off guys look naked until i get closer.
Lt. Commander
# 20
02-21-2010, 03:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gul_Westfale View Post
it's the dreaded integrated intel **** graphics, popular in low-end PCs and laptops. this is not an actual card, but part of teh chipset that is soldered onto your motherboard. if you have a laptop then you simply cannot play as that is not upgardeable, and if you have a desktop you have to open the case and check whether there is a slot for a graphics card. if there is, you can buy and install one (about $100 will get you something worthwhile), but if there isn't then you would have to replace the entire motherboard to install a card.

sorry.
If it is a desktop they'll have to move the jumper as well to bypass the motherboard.