Lt. Commander
# 21
02-21-2010, 06:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikotren
Why poke your nose in it if you think it's stupid to begin with?
Why act like a child when replying?
Lt. Commander
# 22
02-21-2010, 06:04 PM
Everyone has different tastes, loving the game is as valid as hating the game. Posting whine without reason is pointless trolling of forums.
Lt. Commander
# 23
02-21-2010, 06:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pliskin View Post
I'm going to have to disagree with many of your points. Many of the story missions are downright stellar fun. I definitely wouldn't call them shallow and poorly written.

Secondly, I wasn't aware you were a paying customer yet. Last I knew, the 30-days wasn't up yet....

Thirdly, I honestly can't say the game launched with any less content from the previous MMO's I've participated in at launch. I get the distinct impression you haven't played many MMO's. I could be wrong however.
First, the story is best described as hackneyed, they use a poorly defined "war" which is used as a justification for everything, and ignore forty years of Star Trek as a series in favor of "shoot first, shoot second, forget trying to figure out if it's necessary" script writing. Many of the missions reflect a distinct lack of consideration for the history and attitudes of the Star Trek franchise, as evidenced in missions where the player, playing the role of a Starfleet Officer is pushed into slaughter and murder to accomplish a series of trite and cliche' goals.

I am unimpressed. Quite a few people are flat out -angry- by the use of the Star Trek name in conjunction with a mediocre plot.

Second, the moment he/she picked up the game, paying retail price for the disc or download, he/she was a paying customer, and you are ignorant to suggest otherwise.

Third, I've never picked up an MMO in my life -at launch- where I could be done with all of their content in less than a month's time, and I have played everything from cheap Korean grinders to the two biggest names in the history of the genre.
Lt. Commander
# 24
02-21-2010, 06:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pliskin View Post
Secondly, I wasn't aware you were a paying customer yet. Last I knew, the 30-days wasn't up yet.
While I don't agree with all of the OP's comments, I find this comment to be tiresome. Anyone who bought the game IS a paying customer. He's paid for the game and his first month. To follow this reasoning, anyone who's bought a Lifetime subscription (like me) would no longer be considered a "paying customer" after 16 months since they would effectively be paying for free. Would I suddenly have no right to comment on the game?

While overall I am enjoying the game (I play about 3 times a week for a few hours), I do find that the missions are very repetitive.

Craig Z is on record talking about the robust nature and strength of the Genesis system, but from what I have seen of it to date, all it does it take a bunch of options (mission type, setting, ground vs space, critters), throw it all into a hat and then pull out one of each. But the fact that there are only really three types of missions to draw from, still makes for a repetetive system.

I really would like to hear from someone from Cryptic so they could explain how they feel they can expand upon the options of the Genesis engine besides just playing "Boggle" with a bunch of limited mission options.

Cheers!
Defender_of_the_Paying_Customer_Canuck
Lt. Commander
# 25
02-21-2010, 06:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asrayl View Post
First, the story is best described as hackneyed, they use a poorly defined "war" which is used as a justification for everything, and ignore forty years of Star Trek as a series in favor of "shoot first, shoot second, forget trying to figure out if it's necessary" script writing. Many of the missions reflect a distinct lack of consideration for the history and attitudes of the Star Trek franchise, as evidenced in missions where the player, playing the role of a Starfleet Officer is pushed into slaughter and murder to accomplish a series of trite and cliche' goals.

I am unimpressed. Quite a few people are flat out -angry- by the use of the Star Trek name in conjunction with a mediocre plot.

Second, the moment he/she picked up the game, paying retail price for the disc or download, he/she was a paying customer, and you are ignorant to suggest otherwise.

Third, I've never picked up an MMO in my life -at launch- where I could be done with all of their content in less than a month's time, and I have played everything from cheap Korean grinders to the two biggest names in the history of the genre.

I thought STO was based on the reality of the new Star Trek movie (where the Romulans home world is destroyed). H ere read this: http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...d.php?t=122728
Lt. Commander
# 26
02-21-2010, 06:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asrayl View Post

pretty much sums up my feelings rather well. I am just shocked that they could release an MMO with so little content, it just seems criminal, how can you sell an MMO like this and expect people to pay a subscription fee? there's nothing to *do* when you hit max level. I never ran out of things to do at max level in another other MMO i've played.
Lt. Commander
# 27
02-21-2010, 06:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hebi-Kumo View Post
Why act like a child when replying?
I'm sorry, did you have a point, or an opinion?
Something to add to the conversation?
Is there something I can help you with?

If not, I'm simply going to ignore you from here on.
Lt. Commander
# 28
02-21-2010, 06:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond_Burg
Well, congratulations. A major sci fi franchise with decades of content and resources has been pared down into a mediocre, arcade-like, repetitive shadow of what it could have been (can only guess, since this game is so empty its hard to imagine an alternative)

Have made it to Captain 9, and find myself just logging off mid mission because, this is strange, i've done this mission already, several times actually. Exploration is just the same basic missions with no change. The variations in scenery fooled me for a few weeks, but in the end the only way to fill games between story missions (shallow and poorly written "story" missions) is to grind exploration/fleet action/enemy contacts, or grind the pointless pvp for almost no reward.

Started a Klingon and got him to Lt commander 7, but its even worse over there. Can only grind the Khaless expanse so many times. Endless, pointless pvp for a pittance worth of skill points and badges that give you mediocre weapons aren't cutting it anymore.

I tried to like this, have been trying since OB, but this game is going absolutely nowhere fast and I can't keep pretending like it will be good anymore.

Paying customer, out.
Started a klingon, just shy of commander and its a GRIND, iv played korean mmo and its nothing like that bad but.... I dunno its mindless, pvp pvp pvp pvp and the rewards for 20 mins sweating it out putting up with the smack talk 100sp 130 sp.... Im going to bed
Lt. Commander
# 29
02-21-2010, 06:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hebi-Kumo View Post
I thought STO was based on the reality of the new Star Trek movie (where the Romulans home world is destroyed). H ere read this: http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...d.php?t=122728
I didn't say the war was poorly justified, just poorly -defined- they use it, but only as a vague construct to justify the over-used combat, and not as a rich and vibrant backdrop filled with everything from daring acts of heroism to the intrigues and skulduggery of politics and diplomacy.

Maybe they just didn't have the time to write a vibrant plot, maybe they just don't care enough to do it, whatever the reasons are, it comes across as shallow and poorly executed.
Lt. Commander
# 30
02-21-2010, 06:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikotren
I'm sorry, did you have a point, or an opinion?
Something to add to the conversation?
Is there something I can help you with?

If not, I'm simply going to ignore you from here on.
Yes I had a point you just missed it and took my post offensively.

1) Why start an argument in a topic; you will just derail it and go off topic)
2) You are provoking a Flamewar with another member.

I am tired of see topics turn into flamewars because of people like you. Argue with her my sending her a PM.