Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > Builds, Powers, and Game Mechanics
Login

Lt. Commander
# 11
02-21-2010, 08:29 PM
Personally I wish they'd make the officers more responsive when you DO give them commands. If you issue a Medical Tricorder command, for example, the officer will only actually heal if there is a friendly within a certain radius - they will NOT actually move so as to heal you. This can be frustrating, because then you have to run backwards and find your science officer or set a rally point for them just to get a heal.

Of course, the heals are seldom needed at the moment anyway, given how hard it is to die - but assuming they tweak the difficult of ground combat, more intelligent BOs is a must.
Lt. Commander
# 12
02-21-2010, 08:36 PM
I wish they gave us more than just Passive / Aggressive. Like the aforementioned Science Officer, I want him/her to heal me, but not just stand there as well. So a Cautious stance would be helpful as well, where they can fight, but buff / heal as well.

Also a Range Command, where they don't run off on their own, but stay close to you.
Lt. Commander
# 13
02-21-2010, 08:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azurian View Post
I wish they gave us more than just Passive / Aggressive. Like the aforementioned Science Officer, I want him/her to heal me, but not just stand there as well. So a Cautious stance would be helpful as well, where they can fight, but buff / heal as well.

Also a Range Command, where they don't run off on their own, but stay close to you.
Yeah, actually, this is probably a good route to take. It doesn't have to be Dragon Age complex (which is probably an AI coding nightmare; hats off to Bioware on that one), but "attack/defend/support/passive" would be a start.
Lt. Commander
# 14
02-21-2010, 09:16 PM
this is my only gripe about the game at the moment, as the server instability issues seem to have been fixed (for the moment)

BOs need a thorough fix, since the devs said fixing the getting stuck issue isn't just a simple change of code and requires a more lengthy process. bridge officers, or more precisely, members of your away team that are npcs, need to stop spamming abilities out of combat on away missions, though my main issue with them is their apparent inability to follow their captain (player).

i also wish they would auto-attack destructible objects that are important to a ground mission, such as a door you have to blow open, a console you have to destroy, or crates, etc, instead of targeting the object and then manually ordering your team to attack it. it would make things a lot simpler, but i'm fine with it either way to be honest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gillysan
The only time my Tact Officers use Lunge or Leg Sweep is if I click on their dam power button. It looks at this time as melee powers on BO is a total waste of points.
not sure about lunge, but my tactical officer has used leg sweep on occasion with no problems. seems like the only way it works is for tactical officers to be within melee range of an enemy (or, for an enemy to be near them)

speaking in general of attacking, though, when my away team attacks, there's been a few (although possibly rare) times where they've performed admirably. in those moments, i've seen them dispatch enemies with such ease that the battle is over a minute after it began, or less. (i'm not sure how long battles usually take against 5 or 6 enemies as i've never really paid attention to the time it took, but i'd definitely say shorter than it usually takes)
Lt. Commander
I just wanted to give this thread an update as I've noticed some tweaks to the A.I. a bit (it helps that I took a week off from the game and gave cryptic a chance to patch and me some time to not be so nit-picky).

I've now noticed that my bat'leth wielding BOff seems a bit more gungho about actually mixing it up in the fray, still not exactly the rampant slice and dice I'd like to see but what do you expect out of someone bringing a knife to a phaser fight.

I originally had it set up with sweep leg, draw fire, lunge, and accelerate (in that order). Once the tweaks were made, this did seem to make it a lot more useful as it actually attacked. I had hoped that draw fire would get the BOff to draw aggro and therefore want to attack - this wasn't originally so, even with slapping it with a drone (yes, I'm an engineer) to further it's aggro potential. Now it seems to charge in a take repeated swipes with the bat'leth and - much to my surprise - use things like leg sweep and lunge without being prompted to do so.

Feeling adventurous, I rebuilt it again (not much else to do with all those points now that I'm RA), specifically back to my original concept substituting draw fire and accelerate with stealth and ambush. I even built a second one to assist this one with leg sweep II and lunge III along with an accompanying smoke grenade. In tandem they seemed to complement each other. They both charged in after the fight started, though for strategy sake I started off having a smoke grenade thrown in to buff the others stealth ability. It seemed to work. However, I did not notice a huge damage difference in a standard attack verses what I thought I would get using stealth plus ambush, nor did the fight go particularly well - one bat'leth wielding BOff died and the fight took an extended bit of time, particularly when compared to stacking with comparable level ranged weapons.

At this point I'm still inclined to keep my ground-pounders ranged with one stacked with grenades (minus the smoke) and target optics, a gun slinger (with focus fire, suppressing fire, fire on my mark, and overwatch), my engineering buffer (weapons malfunction, shield recharge, equipment diagnostic, and another drone) and my medic (obvious). With my fabrication specialty, ground battles seem to over almost as soon as they start with personal shields on the entire team barely scratched.

Do I still have complaints? What kind of picky, trek/gaming nerd would I be if I didn't. The BOffs still get hung up on the most innocuous of things like wall struts (and getting beamed into a cargo bay packed with crates makes me cringe every time), they still (as said by someone earlier) run directly in any fire that's out there, they run spastically around me even if I take literally one step forward (ruins photo-opts ) and my biggest complaint: if I have them all attack the same target (via the command), they don't - at least not effectively - as I think they still get "distracted" by other enemy attacks (i.e. their aggro is pulled to the last NPC that inflicted damage upon them).

Do I see an improvement? Yes. Am I happy about this? Very much so. Do they still need to fix some very obvious and annoying problems? Most definitely. But so far, in the small amount of time that the game has gone "live" they are already making significant improvements. So a "thank you" to the devs, techs, and cryptic as a whole for making an effort. Keep it up gang.