Lt. Commander
# 1 The Chat System
02-21-2010, 08:32 PM
Are there any top tips to help refine the appalling chat system?

Most of all I would like to know one thing: How do I stay in Global Zone chat while on Mission?

It's a baffling and unexplained dialogue system.
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-21-2010, 08:45 PM
I'm not sure what you have against the chat system but in the lower left of the chat box is a drop down that will let you select (among other things) Local, Zone, and Team. If you select Zone then you will be in that zones chat. If you select Local then I believe you are limited to your current instance.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-21-2010, 09:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bapaveza View Post
I'm not sure what you have against the chat system but in the lower left of the chat box is a drop down that will let you select (among other things) Local, Zone, and Team. If you select Zone then you will be in that zones chat. If you select Local then I believe you are limited to your current instance.
Except that you are forced out of the Zone chat when you enter a mission... I want to know if you can avoid this?

It's a horrible little chat box ... Most of the people I know use a Messenger client instead :/
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-21-2010, 09:14 PM
Hi there, 'Zone' chat refers to chat between all members of the same game zone across all instances of that zone. A zone is a map, and the # after it in Chat refers to another instance relative to yours.

At this time, there is no way to communicate with an entire zone that is different to your current zone.

You can, however, refine your Chat tabs to filter certain communications for specific tabs. Right-click on your Chat window and select Chat Settings.

Personally, I have only tells going to one tab, only Fleet chat in another tab, Team chat in its own exclusive tab, Zone chat in its own tab, etc.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-21-2010, 09:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_Dravis
Hi there, 'Zone' chat refers to chat between all members of the same game zone across all instances of that zone. A zone is a map, and the # after it in Chat refers to another instance relative to yours.

At this time, there is no way to communicate with an entire zone that is different to your current zone.

You can, however, refine your Chat tabs to filter certain communications for specific tabs. Right-click on your Chat window and select Chat Settings.

Personally, I have only tells going to one tab, only Fleet chat in another tab, Team chat in its own exclusive tab, Zone chat in its own tab, etc.
I see ... In that case, is there an easy way to stay in Sector Space Zone Chat without actually being in Sector Space (Thats where ALL the conversation seems to happen)
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-21-2010, 09:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesR87 View Post
I see ... In that case, is there an easy way to stay in Sector Space Zone Chat without actually being in Sector Space (Thats where ALL the conversation seems to happen)
As I said, no.

Allowing this would multiply spam and make chat unreadable.

However, there are global custom chat channels that exist and can be created. Again, visit your Chat Settings. Once created, you would need to distribute the chat channel name to people you wanted to join it, and once there, everyone in that channel would be able to chat regardless of personal location.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-21-2010, 09:31 PM
That's a crying shame, it's really what MMOs are about.

Thanks for answering!