Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 11
02-01-2010, 07:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pure-American View Post
yes absolutly sweeping generalizations by nature are a fallacy, however I said "most" and you are simply arguing over semantics
No you didn't....

"RP and PVP are like lemonaid and brownies, alone each is a tasty treat, but together they are like a mouthfull of battery acid."

First you completely split PvP and RP apart, as if they are "lemonaid (sic) and brownies" when they are like milk and cookies. On their own they are great but together you can have even more fun.

"PVP'ers traditionally don't like RP'ers"

No most in there....

"Hardcore PVP'ers like myself would paint a giant target on a RP'er just because it's fun."

No most in there either.... although we begin to see the discrimination you have.

"Anyone posting a reply to this thread trying to recruit you would pretty much brand them as RP'ers and I think it would people wouldn't take them seriously in pvp."

No most in there either... and a thinly veiled threat that anyone who posts in here will be demeaned by other PvPers (including yourself since you said it as if it's true).

You posted in an RP thread to try and bash RPers. I called you out, and you have attempted to back track. Unfortunately your previous words are there for all to see.

I'm not arguing semantics; I'm arguing against RP hate from PvPers like yourself by trying to open minds and eyes to see that PvPing and RP can go hand in hand to increase the fun of players.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 12
02-01-2010, 07:28 AM
[quote=Pure-American;1812333]RP and PVP are like lemonaid and brownies, alone each is a tasty treat, but together they are like a mouthfull of battery acid.


PVP'ers traditionally don't like RP'ers, all due respect, I don't mind RP'ers, I have had a great time and some crazy epic fun playing with them, but most RP'ers do not make good PVP'ers. [quote]

No I clearly said most.


right there.


"today is a good day to cry" ?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 13
02-01-2010, 07:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pure-American View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pure-American View Post
RP and PVP are like lemonaid and brownies, alone each is a tasty treat, but together they are like a mouthfull of battery acid.

PVP'ers traditionally don't like RP'ers, all due respect, I don't mind RP'ers, I have had a great time and some crazy epic fun playing with them, but most RP'ers do not make good PVP'ers.
No I clearly said most.

right there.

"today is a good day to cry" ?
One most in a collection of sweeping statements changes nothing. You still made all those anti-RPer statements which is what I'm commenting on and you still tried to separate them out. Also "most" RPers on the Klingon side are going to good at PvP, since that's all you can do. If you had said "most" or "some" on all those generalizations I would agree with your assessment of the grammar, but you didn't.

Most = majority, so you're still saying the majority of people who like to pretend to be their character are bad at PvP... In STO this isn't true. You have to be good at PvP to do the Klingon thing and since this in the Klingon recruiting forum, your statement is obviously invalid (most Klingon players PvP, therefore even if the number of RPers in that most group are a minority, they still have to be good at PvP to level at any decent rate).

You have also failed to come up with any logical data to support your argument. You simply redirect or focus on small points instead of the mass generalizations you made to try and scare people out of RPing.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 14
02-01-2010, 12:20 PM
Ah I see

you don't know the difference between the words "all" and "most". You either know what words mean or you don't. You seem to throw a lot of them around though.

and this..this whole thing ...is why people don't like pvp'ing with RP'ers.......
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 15
02-09-2010, 04:42 AM
Lol ok I got a lot of information between to two of you. But im sure RP guilds for the Ks will be much more possable with PVE content comming out soon. But as of now im still guildless. But I guess I will hold out a bit. Im still intrested in joining a RP house. That is unless my friends from Pirates of the Burning Sea get their act together and start a guild here (so far we are on at differnt times).
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 16
02-20-2010, 12:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pure-American View Post
You're right, thats why I said "most"

There is a stigma however of RP'ers and PVP'ers do not mix. RP'ers like things they can plan, control, and write a story about, but PVP hardly ever goes according to the script.

Klingon's social structure is like a "survival of the fittest" environment with the volume up all the way. People romanticise the Klingon when the truth is their logic for just about everything is "if you can eat it, or it moves, kill it befor it kills you.". A warrior wouldnt stop to quote Shakespear befor battle, and if they did their first officer would have shanked them befor they got "to be or not to be" out of their mouth. Maybe the whole Klingon warrior gimmick is just a macho guy thing.
Except for, y'know, all the Klingons who quote shakespear or some Klingon proverb as they fly into battle.

RPers are not typically that into making everything perfectly planned out. Some are, but most of us are happy to see where things end up. It generates a more in depth and valid story. As for gameplay, it doesn't all factor directly into the RP activity, since not all gameplay corresponds well with PvP and such things are either adapted story-wise or ignored in regards to RP itself.


Also, the best way to eliminate the stigma is to stop perpetuating it with propaganda and prejudiced BS.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 17
02-20-2010, 02:15 AM
Typical of elitist self-titled "hardcore" PvPers to try to exclude everyone who doesn't play 16 hours a day.

I have to say I've struggled to find an RP guild that I liked well, anywhere, in ST:O. There seems to be a lot of focus on ranks and structure but not an awful lot on story. To me that feels half-hearted. Roleplay isn't about calling your 'boss' by the proper title while you play the game normally - it's about immersion and telling stories while you play.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 18
02-20-2010, 02:56 PM
I'm not sure how it is here in STO or in other games, but I do know for a fact that a lot of RPers in WoW took their PVP very seriously. Lets look back into the past a few years ago during the time when they allowed Cross Realm Battlegrounds.

Silver Hand (PVE-RP) was in the same battlegroup as Blackrock (PVP, non RP) server. At that time Blackrock was considered the most hardcore PVP server around in those days. But when the Battlegroup of servers was formed, Premade groups from Silverhand were roflstomping the Premades from Blackrock.

This is evidence that being a Role-player doesn't make you bad in PVP. It won't make you great at it either. RPing doesn't take time away from endgame or PVP either. As someone described, its something that happens between fights.

I'm not sure I'll RP in this game since I'm not much into RPing in Sci-fi, and I'm really not much into Star Trek (I like the game itself rather then the lore). But I do like the people that do RP and make the game around me a bit more immersive. When I play I like to play the game and enjoy everything it has to offer. With Rpers it adds another dimension that you don't otherwise see.

When I played MechWarrior 3 and 4 we didn't RP (I didn't know what RP was). But we used lore related ranks and structures for our teams. We made fun of other factions because they were different, just like characters would in the story. It was fun and added more to the game then the mechanics could.

Role-playing is just at the basics, character building and story telling. Just like football, those things make people money and provide a form of entertainment.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 19
02-22-2010, 12:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pure-American View Post
RP and PVP are like lemonaid and brownies, alone each is a tasty treat, but together they are like a mouthfull of battery acid.

battery acid ?
THIS
IS
KLINGOOOOOOON !!!!

Klingon life is an actual PvP, so i don't see why players who like them can't go rp while playing their faction. It's just that instead of saying "GJ powning them team" they'll go Qapla' etc... We all see the lame flaming and whining that go when a guild confrontation turns emo, that will just be formulated in other words for people who like rp is it that "anti-pvp" ?

You also may try to augment your powning skills by reducing the graphic quality of the game, you will not be slowed by the visual effects and you could even modify all the skins so only vessels and weapons appears on screen in some radar flashy green. But it will be really ugly, cause you don't want to play a submarine radar simulator but an entertaining game worth your bucks.

The RP for many is just an other option to check so your game become more "realistic" and thus more entertaining.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:35 PM.