Lt. Commander
# 21
02-22-2010, 10:09 AM
so lose sector space and tie the planets togeather, keep them instanced with a max of 200 per instance
Lt. Commander
# 22
02-22-2010, 10:10 AM
Quote:
they say it cant be done, we will never know becease we have all given up before we even tryed
It's not about giving up. It's about understanding that Cryptic spent 2 years building this game and it's going to take years to change it; but you can't change an airplane into a train. Disagreeing with the fundamental design principals of the game is not the same thing as disagree with the types of ships or missions available to play. Missions and ships can be changed and added. What you'd want would require them to start making STO 2.
Lt. Commander
# 23
02-22-2010, 10:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumbleskin View Post
they say it cant be done, we will never know becease we have all given up before we even tryed
...because THEY even know what you are proposing would take major server shutdown time, and this early to launch, that much DT would kill it.
Lt. Commander
# 24
02-22-2010, 10:15 AM
I don't think its feasible to change instancing.
I would like to see larger instances upto 75 users.
Also i'd like to see Cryptic be more creative by hiding loading screens etc these remind u of instancing.
Lt. Commander
# 25
02-22-2010, 10:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic_One View Post
It's not about giving up. It's about understanding that Cryptic spent 2 years building this game and it's going to take years to change it; but you can't change an airplane into a train. Disagreeing with the fundamental design principals of the game is not the same thing as disagree with the types of ships or missions available to play. Missions and ships can be changed and added. What you'd want would require them to start making STO 2.
I disagree, when i first started playing eq before any expansions it was a totally dif game then the one i stoped playing a few years back and about 7 expansions later, Sure somthing like this idea couldent happen over night but it could be evolved over a long period of time, little by little

You could slowly make a train into a plane if you really needed to fly, we can do almost anything if we put our minds to it
Lt. Commander
# 26
02-22-2010, 10:17 AM
The people who "gave up" 2 weeks after launch should never ever have ever tried an MMO on launch.
And I mean EVER.

I have been around the block a few times and the people who quit the first few weeks after launch should never play an MMO on release since they are all broken, without exception (well, probably there is an exception out there, some obscure MMO that I have never played).

Clientbase having no emotional fortitude for patience + broken/unfinished MMO's at lauch = death of MMO industry
That is an certainty.
Lt. Commander
# 27
02-22-2010, 10:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumbleskin View Post
I disagree, when i first started playing eq before any expansions it was a totally dif game then the one i stoped playing a few years back and about 7 expansions later, Sure somthing like this idea couldent happen over night but it could be evolved over a long period of time, little by little

You could slowly make a train into a plane if you really needed to fly, we can do almost anything if we put our minds to it
Yes, with years of development it could change,and with that we are now all arguing the same point lol.
Lt. Commander
# 28
02-22-2010, 10:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staran View Post
The people who "gave up" 2 weeks after launch should never ever have ever tried an MMO on launch.
And I mean EVER.

I have been around the block a few times and the people who quit the first few weeks after launch should never play an MMO on release since they are all broken, without exception (well, probably there is an exception out there, some obscure MMO that I have never played).

Clientbase having no emotional fortitude for patience + broken/unfinished MMO's at lauch = death of MMO industry
That is an certainty.
I like alot about this game just the things i really hate/miss are currently not even being talked about to fix. The things are a better Sector space or no sector space, less instancing,the lack of community.
these 3 things are so bad. they make everything else thats great seem worthless
Lt. Commander
# 29
02-22-2010, 10:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic_One View Post
It has nothing to do with the game Engine. STO has a huge graphic footprint because they were intentionally going for something of a higher visual quality. WoW can get a way with Phasing because of its low system requirements. If STO had phasing only the high-end machines would be able to play it. Everyone else would just lag-out, specially when their computer system was tryign to preload the next zone. For the game to be viable for lower-end systems some compromises needed to be made.
I'm going to disagree here. I don't think it has to do with visual quality. It all depends on how their server and client code is written and structured. It's more of a design choice at the start, than a "oh we have too highly detailed graphics". As an example, Warhammer Online isn't instanced in the RvR open world, and has pretty good graphics. With instancing, the designer made the choice of how they are going to handle overcrowding, and work load on a server. It really has little to do with graphics because the client still has view distances for a reason.
Lt. Commander
# 30
02-22-2010, 10:38 AM
I fail to see the issue. This isn't a game-breaking problem; it just doesn't meet your vision of Star Trek. If you don't like the lack of community, join a Fleet; that's why they're there. The rest are technical design decisions to alleviate the worst problem with MMOs: lag.