Lt. Commander
# 11
02-22-2010, 12:14 AM
Nvidia and ATI need time to fix their drivers for new games. They only get the finish product a few days before we get them. It's not easy to be a video driver programmer. Not only do they need to write support for each new game but they have to check it against older games to make sure the new drivers still support them.

And in all honestly STO is still a work in progress. Hopefully when the 45 day patch is release the game will be more stable.
Lt. Commander
# 12
02-22-2010, 01:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by White Knight
Nvidia and ATI need time to fix their drivers for new games. They only get the finish product a few days before we get them. It's not easy to be a video driver programmer. Not only do they need to write support for each new game but they have to check it against older games to make sure the new drivers still support them.

And in all honestly STO is still a work in progress. Hopefully when the 45 day patch is release the game will be more stable.
Refer to previous statements.

Not only is the STO engine been in use in Champions Online since September, STO is an Nvidia "Way its meant to be played" Title.

Thats why i feel its inexcusable that Nvidia drivers have been borked for months on this game engine.

Especially when ATI Catalyst drivers "just worked" from day one in Champions / STO
Lt. Commander
# 13
02-22-2010, 02:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by elrabincougar View Post
Refer to previous statements.

Not only is the STO engine been in use in Champions Online since September, STO is an Nvidia "Way its meant to be played" Title.

Thats why i feel its inexcusable that Nvidia drivers have been borked for months on this game engine.

Especially when ATI Catalyst drivers "just worked" from day one in Champions / STO
Same engine does not mean same graphical requirements and coding. STO is way ahead of CO in that respect.

Lt. Commander
# 14
02-22-2010, 03:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tedgp123 View Post
Same engine does not mean same graphical requirements and coding. STO is way ahead of CO in that respect.

While true, the exact same Nvidia driver issues are present in both Champions Online and Star Trek Online
Lt. Commander
# 15
02-22-2010, 09:28 AM
Quote:
Thats news to me, thtas good that Nvidia finally addressed the issue.

Last driver releases i saw were still being problematic.
They didn't. I just recently did tests. Started off with the 186.81 drivers. then updated to 195.62 for my 260M. Complete crap framerates unless I turn the thing to the absolute lowest settings. I then rolled back to 186.81. (Its the only drivers available for my mobile GPU.) And jacked up the settings to max and BAM. Works. They may have fixed the issue with some cards. Mobile seems to still be an issue. Frankly at this rate I'm going to go out and drop the half grand to upgrade to an ATI card. My Alienware laptop has the ability to upgrade your GPU. And I'm probably going to do just that. Nvidia is a fracking joke.
Lt. Commander
# 16
02-22-2010, 09:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by White Knight

Soooo what was the point of preordering it again if we can't really play it? I mean right now I'm using old drivers to get around the issue and then upgrading to new drivers when I want to play other games and then rolling back when I want to play STO, and then upgrading for other games, repeat ad nauseum.

And do NOT tell me that Cryptic wasn't working with Nvidia before release. Its downright naive to think that they get the game the same time everyone else does. No what is most likely happening is that they are probably grouping a bunch of patches for one update at a time. I wouldn't fault them for doing this if it wasn't for the fact that you can't even download a beta patch yet. Which suggests they are still a ways off. Right now I'm highly tempted to just say screw it and drop kick my nvidia card out a window and go ATI.
Lt. Commander
# 17
02-22-2010, 09:48 AM
First did you uninstall the old drivers before install the new ones? If not this will cause problems especially if you install over them over and over again.

Next when did you last re-install your OS? The OS does get corrupted over time and needs to be clean install to fix all the problems.

What are your specs? Does your hardware meet minimum system requirements?

The minimum system requirements are:

* OS: Windows XP SP2 / Windows Vista / Windows 7 (32 or 64-bit)
* CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo 1.8 Ghz or AMD Athlon X2 3800+
* Memory: 1GB RAM
* Video: NVIDIA GeForce 7950 / ATI Radeon X1800 / Intel HD Graphics
* Sound: DirectX 9.0c Compatible Soundcard
* DirectX: Version 9.0c or Higher
* HDD: 10GB Free Disk Space
* Network: Internet Broadband Connection Required
* Disc: 6X DVD-ROM

The recommended system specifications are:

* OS: Windows XP SP2 / Windows Vista / Windows 7 (32 or 64-bit)
* CPU: Intel E8400 Core 2 Duo or AMD Athlon X2 5600+
* Memory: 2GB RAM+
* Video: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 / ATI Radeon HD 3850+
* Sound: DirectX 9.0c Compatible Soundcard
* DirectX: Version 9.0c or Higher
* HDD: 10GB Free Disk Space
* Network: Internet Broadband Connection Required
* Disc: 6X DVD-ROM
Lt. Commander
# 18
02-22-2010, 02:39 PM
Quote:
Fair enough. But it doesn't change the fact that anything after 195.62 does NOT work

Thats a good half dozen driver releases that are broken.

Card overheating, game crashes and more.

The problem is as follows.

Older driver(195.62) means newly released games don't work properly in some cases

Newer driver(196.21) means STO doesn't work.

Wonderful

Please don't tell my computer 196.21 is not supposed to work because it's actually running quite well. Since I have installed this driver and in the last week-ten days or so the game overall has been running much better.
Lt. Commander
# 19
02-22-2010, 02:44 PM
when you uninstall your drivers, restart using generic vga drivers and run driver sweeper, restart then reinstall.

Get driver sweeper over at guru3d.com
http://downloads.guru3d.com/Guru3D--...load-1655.html