Lt. Commander
# 31
02-22-2010, 09:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NinetyNine
I'm going to point you to the great state of California as support of my argument. The financial mess there is, in large part, due to their version of direct democracy. The voters will support whatever idea seems good at the time. Enough like the idea and it becomes law. The end result is that they have ballooned their required budget with voter driven initiatives, while at the same time hamstringing the state's ability to raise revenue to pay for those initiatives due to separate initiatives. End result is that the voters thought those programs sounded really good at the time, and thought that the limitations on taxes sounded really good at the time, but together they resulted in the state having it's credit rating downgraded and being left facing bankruptcy.

End result is, people rarely understand what they're asking for. Also, as a corollary moral to the story, democracy doesn't really work all that well.
"A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves largesse from the public treasury." Yep, democracy is the worst form of government, except for all the others.

Anyway, if I follow your point, you believe they should just ignore their customers and do what they want? Why even have the facade of the forums? Mythic did quite well for many years with **** without forums, after all.
Lt. Commander
# 32
02-22-2010, 09:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleysRule
Unless your position is they should ignore players and do whatever their vision of the game is, which is a valid but unpopular position, they need some way to get feedback from paying customers. The poll would be done by Cryptic when you log into the game, and you can always have a "no opinion" option if you don't want to vote or aren't interested in the poll topic. If I didn't care about crafting, I could skip a poll on ideas to improve crafting, etc. Forums are a vocal minority, so where else are they going to get feedback form the playerbase at large?
Dunno Fallen Earth was doiong pretty well with this around beta/launch. The devs there made it pretty clear that it was going to be a niche game amnd they merant it to be no more popular than that,insofar as saying in an interview that if they had mo more than 50k subs theyd be ok with that. They were all about their own design and had the "if you dont like it, theres the door philosophy. The only reason Im not playing it right now is they decided against any kind of a fast travel system, and their map is huge. Well, that an none of my IRL friends wanted to play it...
Lt. Commander
# 33
02-22-2010, 09:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic_One View Post
Because people who might want to give STO a try might need a place where they can ask a question or two before they buy it? Some people like to ask questions about a product before they jump in feet-first, and there's no better place to get info about STO then here. You're not going to get good info from some minimum wage Gamestop employee.
And that's a fair point. It would probably be a good thing to do a little graphic to indicate paid/unpaid; like stick a Starfleet logo to the right of every paid user's avatar.
Lt. Commander
# 34
02-22-2010, 09:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Great_Milenko
Dunno Fallen Earth was doiong pretty well with this around beta/launch. The devs there made it pretty clear that it was going to be a niche game amnd they merant it to be no more popular than that,insofar as saying in an interview that if they had mo more than 50k subs theyd be ok with that. They were all about their own design and had the "if you dont like it, theres the door philosophy. The only reason Im not playing it right now is they decided against any kind of a fast travel system, and their map is huge. Well, that an none of my IRL friends wanted to play it...
Despite what people might say, I think STO having 50k subs 6 months from now would be considered a failure by pretty much everybody including the devs. Can it survive at 50k? Probably, unless the license holder isn't happy with those numbers. Some small, indy games with no name IPs like Fallen Earth or Darkfall can be happy with 20k-50k subs, even though they certainly wouldn't complain if they had 10x that.
Lt. Commander
# 35
02-22-2010, 09:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zahinder
I don't know if it needs to be said, but I hope devs don't shape too much policy or change based on what they read in forums.

Happy, content people are off playing the game. It's only us mentally deranged folks who want to spout off who get on forums and make noise.
Hm ? The zone chats ingame are exactly the same as the forum.
Ok probably the next thing you say is that all the happy players have their zone chat turned off or something like that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harleysrule
Anyway, if I follow your point, you believe they should just ignore their customers and do what they want? Why even have the facade of the forums? Mythic did quite well for many years with **** without forums, after all.
**** had forums where the CMs and devs posted regulary, they were at VNBoards and the offical website linked them.
Lt. Commander
# 36
02-22-2010, 09:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleysRule
Despite what people might say, I think STO having 50k subs 6 months from now would be considered a failure by pretty much everybody including the devs. Can it survive at 50k? Probably, unless the license holder isn't happy with those numbers. Some small, indy games with no name IPs like Fallen Earth or Darkfall can be happy with 20k-50k subs, even though they certainly wouldn't complain if they had 10x that.
I was talking about Fallen Earth not STO
Lt. Commander
# 37
02-22-2010, 09:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yriel
Hm ? The zone chats ingame are exactly the same as the forum.
Ok probably the next thing you say is that all the happy players have their zone chat turned off or something like that...
I do...
Actually, as silly and ostrich like as it sounds I wouldnt be that surprised
Lt. Commander
# 38
02-22-2010, 09:52 AM
Mmmm, Papa John's Tuscan 6 cheese pizza.
Lt. Commander
# 39
02-22-2010, 04:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CIWS View Post
Mmmm, Papa John's Tuscan 6 cheese pizza.
nom nom nom nom?
Lt. Commander
# 40
02-22-2010, 04:40 PM
I think Cryptic should listen in all the venues out there.