Lt. Commander
# 1 Star Trek: Episode Discussion
02-19-2010, 12:52 PM
*Crawl*

A long time in the future in a galaxy not far away...

All right only joking. Seriously I'd like to open a thread to discuss any episode from all five of Star Trek's television series.

Deep Space Nine: Season 5 - "Doctor Bashir, I Presume?"

Memory Alpha data log

I enjoyed the episode very much. Despite the inevitable and impending conflict with the Dominion, the episode's plot doesn't deal with that story 'arc' and instead becomes more personal and introverted by concentrating on Dr. Julian Bashir (as one may have guessed from the title!).

The synopsis involves Dr. Lewis Zimmerman the inventor of the EMH programme (Emergency Medical Holographic programme) who we all know serves on the U.S.S Voyager has come to Deep Space Nine in order to model his new holographic programme the LMH (Long-term Medical Holographic programme) on Dr.Bashir. Due to the desire to make the intended hologram programme more human, Dr. Zimmerman probes into Dr. Bashir's life and historical background. Eventually this leads him to invite Dr. Bashir's parents to come aboard DS9 and assist in his 'information gathering'. However, the Bashirs harbour a secret which threatens Dr. Bashir's career and their freedom. In addition, there's a nice romantic subplot involving the 'Dabo' girl Leeta (Bajoran) and Quark's brother Rom (Ferengi).

The one good thing about the episode is the subplot doesn't simply appear conviently to offer a 'distraction' from the main plot for the sake of it. They established that Leeta had feelings for Rom in the episode "Let He Who Is Without Sin" so the seeds for their developing relationship had been planted. I understand the writers would want to counter the dramatic and emotional heft of Dr. Bashir's hitherto unknown history with something more light-hearted and simple. Which is what the sub-plot does quite effectively.

Of course the main draw of this episode for me is the revelation about Dr. Bashir. I understand it was a last minute addition to the episode since they had planned to focus on Dr. Bashir but wanted Dr. Zimmerman to stumble upon something significant whilst researching and probing Dr. Bashir's past. The scenes between Dr. Bashir and his parents are great and Alexander Siddig did a great job in their final dramatic 'confrontation' when it's revealed why his parents did what they did and that it wasn't about them feeling ashamed.

I'm about to reveal a major spoiler. If you don't want to know look away now. This revelation I previously mentioned was that Dr. Bashir was genetically altered/enhanced by his parents when he was six-years old due to him exhibiting severe learning difficulties. His parents in their desperation and motivated by guilt (since they felt they either passed on a faulty gene or mishandled Mrs. Bashir's pregnancy) travelled with the young Dr. Bashir to a planet in order to carry out the genetic alteration. The reason it is illegal in the Federation is due to genetic engineering being the cause of the Eugenics Wars. Since the wars produced a tyrant (Khan Noonien Singh) who due to his enhanced abilities craved power and control and attempted to conquer the entire Earth. I do have a question about the resolution of this predicament for Dr. Bashir.. When Dr. Bashir's father Richard confesses his 'crime' to Captain Ben Sisko (who then promptly alerts Admiral Bennett). It seems that Richard is given a rather light penalty. He has to serve two years at a minimum security prison located in New Zealand. Surely if such a crime deeply abhorred by the Federation and shunned by humanity at large. He would have received a much harsher and stiffer sentence? Perhaps a minor gripe on my part!

Addendum - I think it would be practical to create a new forum section dedicated to Star Trek lore, characters, episodes, films etc. I realise there are tons of episodes and to make a sticky for each one may seem convoluted. However I think it's appropriate to at least have a section dedicated to 'Star Trek' so that the fans can discuss the more finer points of the franchise.

Thank you.
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-19-2010, 01:23 PM
Hmmm favorite Episodes..............
TOS - Balance of Terror. (Shocking I know I didnt pick City on the edge of Forever.) To me this was a great episode because it created suspence thru out the entire episode. Can Kirk out think his Romulan counter part (I wont use enemy because as the Romulan captain said, in another life they may have been friends) It was great to watch to captains match wits insted of trying to pound each other into oblivion at point blank range.
TNG - All Good Things. This episode was the essence of TNG. Great story, great characters, and great action. The time paradox moving backward thru time destroying eveything was a neat twist and Q just stole this episode. My favorite bit with him is when he leans close to Picard to whisper the secrets of the universe and then floats back with a smile.
DS9 - It the Pale Moonlight. This was such a radical departure from what we exect from Star Trek, that it made you think. To me thats win right there. Would I have the balls to do what Sisko did? Could I live with myself knowing that there were things I did, bad things, horrible things, to justify my actions. Plus it spawned one of the best DS9 line ever...."Its a FFFFAAAAAAAAAKKKKKEEEEEE" (The other being the Jem'hadar thats been beating Worf into the ground. "I yield. I yield, I can not defeat this Klingon, I can only kill him. And that no long intrests me.")
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-22-2010, 05:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by warcaster View Post
Hmmm favorite Episodes..............
TOS - Balance of Terror. (Shocking I know I didnt pick City on the edge of Forever.) To me this was a great episode because it created suspence thru out the entire episode. Can Kirk out think his Romulan counter part (I wont use enemy because as the Romulan captain said, in another life they may have been friends) It was great to watch to captains match wits insted of trying to pound each other into oblivion at point blank range.
TNG - All Good Things. This episode was the essence of TNG. Great story, great characters, and great action. The time paradox moving backward thru time destroying eveything was a neat twist and Q just stole this episode. My favorite bit with him is when he leans close to Picard to whisper the secrets of the universe and then floats back with a smile.
DS9 - It the Pale Moonlight. This was such a radical departure from what we exect from Star Trek, that it made you think. To me thats win right there. Would I have the balls to do what Sisko did? Could I live with myself knowing that there were things I did, bad things, horrible things, to justify my actions. Plus it spawned one of the best DS9 line ever...."Its a FFFFAAAAAAAAAKKKKKEEEEEE" (The other being the Jem'hadar thats been beating Worf into the ground. "I yield. I yield, I can not defeat this Klingon, I can only kill him. And that no long intrests me.")
Thanks for the reply. Some interesting comments there. I've been watching some DS9 episodes lately and there are three episodes which stick out for me. There's "Doctor Bashir, I Presume?", "Inquisition" and "In the Pale Moonlight". I think the acting throughout the series was superb and there are these episodes such as the ones I've named which deal with very difficult moral questions. Anything from genetic engineering, security v freedom to ethics during wartime. I think the darker elements to the latter seasons of DS9 only brought more complexity to the Star Trek universe. I read on the Memory Alpha site some Star Trek fans were dismayed by much of what happened on DS9 due to its morally divergent storylines which showed 'cracks' in the utopian future of the Federation. However, I think Gene Roddenberry having lived through a tumultuous period of the 20th century which surely inspired his vision for Star Trek; would not have baulked at some of the more darker episodes in DS9. Precisely becuase they explore difficult and morally challenging issues. That was one important function of Star Trek. To show how humanity would exist in such a utopian existence; particularly how one would uphold the principles and code of ethics which keep that utopia going.

I do have to agree with you warcaster. The "it's a FAAAAKE!" line is hilarious and quite bizarre.