Lt. Commander
# 21
02-23-2010, 11:02 AM
I agree with others in here: I like your suggestions, but this is not 'crafting' it is a set of 'secondary skills'

Crafting means making items.. not improving your run speed by training track and field

Let me re-iterate.. your idea is good, but you should stop trying to push it as crafting.. it is not crafting.

and for that matter, neither is skilling up BO's Cryptic, and neither is buffing items you already have with some wierd matierials you found floating in space.

crafing = MAKING PHYSICAL THINGS
Lt. Commander
# 22
02-23-2010, 11:07 AM
I have to agree I dont see how this is crafting or a total economy at all. This is just a skill system but instead of trading Bos you trade the skills.

Your system leaves out;

itemization - where did all my ship components and ground components go?
crafting - how do I build weapons, ships etc? where are materials? all non tradeable?
endgame - with a game based completely around skills ill be bored quickly unless there are literally thousands of variations on skills. which would be cool but impossible to balance.

Its an interesting concept for a skill system. Kinda complex. Blends GW, STO and a few other concepts into one. I like the concept of skill decks / spell books - but they fail if you cant change them out frequently.

I really wish we had skill trees we could level up for each ship in the game. It would have been nice if each ship had something moe unique than size, slots and HP. If you play the ship longer you get more points to level up skills for that ship. Crafting could unlock the ability to expand slots and seats on the ships. So the ship holds the skill points and the skill tree, not the pilot & Bos. This way you can fly around in whatever ship you want and level it as a truly skill based experience. If you want to fly the miranda for the whole game, so be it. The ship you choose is still very much a part of your character and should play this way. IMO.

I think cryptic went with the simple to understand route of progression and tiers of ships, skills and BOs because thats easy to grasp for most folks. Oddly enough they took a very simple ship and item system and made it overly complex with a poorly documented (and goofy) skill system
Lt. Commander
# 23
02-23-2010, 11:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raidium
I really wish we had skill trees we could level up for each ship in the game. It would have been nice if each ship had something moe unique than size, slots and HP. If you play the ship longer you get more points to level up skills for that ship. Crafting could unlock the ability to expand slots and seats on the ships. So the ship holds the skill points and the skill tree, not the pilot & Bos. This way you can fly around in whatever ship you want and level it as a truly skill based experience.
One of the most stupid design decisions was that when you get a new ship the old ship is just totally useless. Every ship should be a viable alternative in endgame and you should be able to buff lower tier ships.

But oh well, there are at least a hundred other design decisions where they dropped the ball.