Lt. Commander
I'm going to be brutally honest and say that I do not like STO very much. If the game does not change before my free time expires I will not be here any longer.

However I thought it would be fun to imagine what my version of Star Trek Online would be like, and if the game was like this, would gaurantee a lifetime subscription from my part.

The key elements I would be looking for would be:

-An entirely open universe (Warp anywhere, anytime.... at your own risk of course.)

-Non-linear missions (where the player would actually be able to choose the outcome of the missions.( Do I massacre this entire bar? Do I trust the Klingons or shoot them to pieces before I concern myself with what they actually were telling me about the person on my ship?

-Territories would function as PvP flagging areas for world PvP. (For example in Federation space a Federation player would be unable to be attacked by a bored Klingon Rear Admiral flying around cloaked, for obvious reasons. This would be the same for other species.) The territory of your faction would be the "Start-Mid" part of the game, where the Neutral Zone would be "end game".

-Neutral Zone territory conquests (Planets, systems that are unclaimed that can be claimed by any faction that will provide them with new missions for those planets or around the space. It will also have defenses of the faction controlling it that are NPC's. The Borg would be the NPC controlled race that runs rampant across the galaxy to balance things out.

-Neutral zone would be "end game", where not only you risk getting blown up by players of other factions or Borg, but you also can find rare anomalies, items and so forth from uncharted systems.

-Interacting with other players through hails. (I think this would add a completely new dimension of RP, with players being able to send Hail Requests ~20KM or more to other players that then could choose to accept or decline it. If accepted, there will be a popup screen showing the two bridges and captains and a simple chat box. Of course this is an oppurtunity for 1337 players to say "PLZ DONT GANK ME" aswell. To be able to hail somebody, however, you need to be able to see them.

-The ability to beam down to planets at chosen locations, where there would be GROUND missions available and of course creatures to kill, anomalies to scan and possible World PvP encounters with other species.

These points that I listed are among the most core features I would be looking for in my ultimate version of a Star Trek MMORPG.

I'm sorry for being so criticizing towards the current Star Trek online, but I really am not a fan of the excessively instanced 20x20 areas, linear missions and closed environment without interaction with other player species. I do realize that most of my points will problaby never be in the game, because for them to be implemented the game would have to go through a major revamp... which I just cant' see happening at this point. However, never say never!

- M.s Celice from Sweden
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-23-2010, 12:14 PM
No it isn't crap as you stated, but you do have some good ideas for improvments.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-23-2010, 12:14 PM
Crap? nope. need improvements? yes of course.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-23-2010, 12:15 PM
there are many many others with the same view of this game as you.

....which is a little disheartening
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-23-2010, 12:16 PM
Oh and to add, I would totally faint if a Klingon attack cruiser uncloaked in front of me and sent me a hail, with the captain of the Klingon vessel turning out to be a roleplayer and willing to settle things with diplomacy.

It would be the ultimate Star Trek experience for me.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-23-2010, 12:17 PM
Your suggestions are pretty much what I was expecting this game to be while PE was still developing it.....
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-23-2010, 12:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cold_gin_time_again View Post
there are many many others with the same view of this game as you.

....which is a little disheartening
I could be wrong but I think it's possible that a general idea of Star Trek online would be circling around the whole Open universe thing, as that's the view of Star Trek as a whole I get from watching the shows.

Totally forgot about a crafting system btw, but I would want that aswell.
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-23-2010, 12:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celice

The key elements I would be looking for would be:

-An entirely open universe (Warp anywhere, anytime.... at your own risk of course.)

Devs already said this was not possible because they went with a one server game VS. the wow model of having multiple game servers...
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-23-2010, 12:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyx
Crap? nope. need improvements? yes of course.
Precisely.

Theres a decently good example of how to civilly express a dislike for the game floating around here somewhere...