Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 31
02-23-2010, 11:56 AM
Broad sides are fine cruisers are so slow its hard half the time to even line up on a fast ship, and together with the fact i run out of weapon power firing all my weapons on my galaxy class anyways its not an issue.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 32
02-23-2010, 12:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kassidus View Post
Broad sides are fine cruisers are so slow its hard half the time to even line up on a fast ship, and together with the fact i run out of weapon power firing all my weapons on my galaxy class anyways its not an issue.
The beauty of a broadside cruiser is in its large angle of fire. If an enemy gets in front or behind, I halve my firepower, but for most situations that's uncommon and I can fire everything at once. Also, if you're having power drain in a galaxy class, you're not using enough EPS transfer. I can maintain full power on all beams in that class ship.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 33
02-23-2010, 12:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sqwibbs View Post
There is a trade off: Maneuverability. You ever have 3 Klingon players decloak behind you and pump your butt full of plasma? It's not pretty. Your rear shields won't feel right for a week!
Waaaaaay too disturbing an image.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 34
02-23-2010, 12:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NinetyNine
The beauty of a broadside cruiser is in its large angle of fire. If an enemy gets in front or behind, I halve my firepower, but for most situations that's uncommon and I can fire everything at once. Also, if you're having power drain in a galaxy class, you're not using enough EPS transfer. I can maintain full power on all beams in that class ship.
This...I also have tractor beam on my science BO to let me line up for the occasional forward or rear high yield torp.

I run a 5 beam loadout on my Galaxy because I just can't bring myself to sacrifice having a fore and aft torpedo launcher. If an enemy gets behind me or in front they can't feel secure just because they're avoiding my broadside. Especially if they're close behind me with my plasma torps on the back and eject warp plasma ability. That same engineer BO has Aceton field and reverse shield polarity which help a ton when I need to reinforce my shields or reduce the incoming damage.

EPS transfer is key though...when I first got my Galaxy I was getting destroyed because I had to spend my time trying to get my weapon power up to be able to do anything. A single +2.5 EPS console and I started wading through +3 enemies without much difficulty.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 35
02-23-2010, 12:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Preirin

Never gonna happen. Nor should it.

Torps and other projectile weaponry have always been a fore/aft configuration. Now, theoretically, you COULD, on large heavy cruisers or destroyers, mount fore and aft rail cannons – slow to fire, heavy damage and a pretty extensive firing arc, basically allowing you to fire in nearly spherical range…. But projectiles? No, please.

As far as broad siding, it is a tactic, for certain (for cruisers, especially) but I disagree it is overpowered.

Every ship, technically, is equipped with forward and aft phaser arrays, both dorsal and ventral as well as starboard and port. This means every ship is equipped with no less than 8 phaser arrays at any given time. Facing forward and on even keel, it should be possible to fire at least your two forward arrays. You can then pitch/yaw into a lateral position and (should) be able to fore with both your fore and aft arrays.

Turn broad side, add a little pitch, and you now have 3-4 arrays targeting your enemy. The drawback of this in lieu of more beam power is, as noted above, a lack of projectile weaponry.

This is all relative, however. Space has no up or down and combat is in a spherical filed as opposed as to a ground or air battle.

It comes down to tactic. Turning broad side isn’t always the best option, especially when taking on multiple opponents. However, a cruiser should almost never nose into a confrontation unless they are preparing a high yield or torpedo spread – and even then, once the torps are off, turn! Of course, a major drawback to this is an incredibly slow turn rate.

Escorts are entirely reverse… faster and more maneuverable, they are often armed with fixed cannons and heavier armour. The drawback to this is a significantly smaller crew and rely heavily upon their speed and agility – get caught in a crossfire and even the heaviest of escorts can have significant trouble in battle.

In closing, firing broad sides has been a naval tactic for centuries. It comes with both significant pros and cons. The pros being increased firepower. The con, usually, being you’re exposing your weak side to the enemy.

Peace!

All that being said is well and good.

The difference between what is hown inthe actual series, and what is int he game as a workwround, though, is rather staggering.

Examples:

1) TOS Enterprise: Indeterminate weapon turrets; we always saw both phasers and torpedoes come out of the "dome" onthe bottom of the saucer. No broadsides ever shown.

2) TMP Enterprise: Had phaser turrets onthe model in pairs: forward, port, and starboard. (reference: TMP, Enterprise "docked" at V'ger - the turrets are plainly visible, if askew). The Enterprise had twin torpedo launchers pointing forward, at the base of the connecting pylon between the saucer and engineering hulls.

3) ST II: Enterprise in exact same configuration. Miranda saucer identical in configuration to Enterprise, difference is both fore and aft torpedo launchers inthe "rollbar".

4) Original TNG Enterprise: Phaser "Strips" covering a 270 degree arc on the saucer, max of 2 beams. Torpedo launchers for and aft (indeterminate location for front launcers, rear launcher at the base of the ship's "tail" on the model), phaser "strips" on the bottom of the engineering hull, bases of the warp nacelle struts, and on the top of the engineering section, covered by the saucer. Analysis of the model shows weak spot above the ship (only covered by the phaser strip on the saucer/phaser strip on top of the engineering hull, and TO THE SIDE, where the only things that will bear are the strips on top/bottom of the saucer, and if the ship is above it's target, the strups on the bottom (depending on where the enemy is). Braodsiding not really a viable tactinc in a Galaxy, if we accept canon.

5) Defiant (DS9): Fhaser cannons at the edge of the join between the nacelles and the hull (which makes the Defiant's appearance of firing cannons out of the nacelle ACCURATE, given scaling), phaser strip on the dorsal "hatch" (seen in DS9:"Paradise Lost", and in the Mirror-Defiant), and twin quantum torp launchers firing fromt he triagle-shaped hatches onthe front hull. There's also a beam mitter located in the deflector.

Note that NONE of these can fire a "broadside" (save the Galaxy in certain circumstances) - so having them is a bit off in terms of canon Ttrek. The game system is a compromise beetween wnat's seen in canon Trek and game mechanice "since ships don't have "facings"), which leads to broadsides being viable in-game but not in canon Trek.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 36
02-23-2010, 12:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hacXL View Post
Watch me

Im constantly hitting the 200k mark with all MK4 stuffs in T3 PVP, in a Cruiser, as Sience Officer... thats ridicoules combined with the survivability Cruisers have.

ok let me see if i got this right.................a science guy is cryin about something being overpowered ? lol When words fail to describe the dismay, there is always Facepalm.
- When the fail is so strong, one Facepalm is not enough.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:45 PM.