Lt. Commander
First, let me preface by saying that this isn't my first mmo, or almost certainly (I hope) my last. I started with mmos playing Meridian 59 to give some an idea.

Let me start off by talking about some of the things that I like about the game.

Graphics: The game graphics are well done and polished.
Interface: It's minimal and efficient
Skill Tree Concept: I like that someone took the time to think outside the box and come up with a new way to do skills. Kudos to the guy that thought of that.
Game Conveniences: Normally these things tend to not be working at game launch; E-mail, Exchange, item linking, Large raid type instances (CE). Well done, I know that these are not trivial challenges and that competing with well polished and established games can be a daunting task.
Charactor and ship design: Kudos to the client team that designed these features. Very cool.

Now for the challenges facing the game:

I think that many of the complaints I read here will be overcome by time and content, however, that said, there are some opportunities for improvement in a few areas intrinsic to the game. Some of these problems I'm not sure can be changed without impacting the games overall design.

Opportunities for improvement:

Community:
Problem:
As far as Massive Multiplayer Online, I'm not really feeling the "massive" part. Sure I run into a few players here and there, rarely the same twice and don't have the same connection to community as I do in other games. This game could very well be a single player with multiplayer options much like the design behind Hellgate London. in fact, I've seen more people in one place in that game, than I have here and the instances design while done better, have the same feel and repetativeness to them.

It doesn't seem to make much of a difference if I'm playing with NPCs or other live players. There really isn't a lot of incentive to play with other people.

Suggestion:

Missions and/or instances that require players to augment each others skills. In effect, make it so no one person can complete the group based mission alone and that each challenge may require a science officer with X skill, etc.

Game Play

Problem:
The game play is very basic. Skills are not very varied and as a player I can do dmg, heal myself, buff myself, and debuff an enemy. There is no reason to rely on any other player in the game. MOBs are identical in that they are pretty much the same as time goes by, just with X+1 health and Damage.

Suggestion:

Create scenarios that only a group can achieve with a certain combination of skills or weapons.

Items

Problem:
The game has adapted the common, uncommon, rare, elite item type model but has really missed the point of those items and their meaning in an MMO.

At first glance, it appears that each group of weapons was tiered with X damage for level Y, then some weapons set to tier -1 and made rare. This isn't very exciting or creative.

It's about the in game bling. Someone asking "omg, where did you get that???!!!". While these items may be in the game, the fact that everyone has a cookie cutter ship available to every and no way to show what systems, weapons, or other the ship has nor changes the look of the ship cuts out much of what and why people spend time raiding, instancing, and farming for.

While in ground based mode which is roughly 40% of the time (30% if you're like me and don't care for it that much) has some of this like tactical suit changes, weapon changes, etc. Others can't even really see your BO's unless on a mission that allows them to be slotted.

Suggestion:
I'm not sure how to implement this with impacting the overall game design. Rare items like tactical consoles, weapons, or engines should really have some kind of visual impact on your ship to show others that you have something special. Without that, just as well make them white items that are a little better.

Rare items should have damage, skills, or give abilities that otherwise you would not have. +12 instead of +10 isn't exciting or worth spending an hour to grind for. There needs to be those must have items that are worth getting.

Quests/Missions

Problem:
For lack of a better term they are really quite boring and almost an after thought. Go to sector X , system Y, collect n number of item Z. Yes, it's ZZZzzzz alright.

Suggestion:

It may be too late for this one but usually having some kind of primary quest line that runs concurrently is usually one of the first things I see developed in an mmo. The keeper time was cool, but it was the only notable quest I can think of.

Also, timers on repeatable quests like exploration may help stretch out the leveling a bit.

That's about all I can think of for now. I've only just made Commander 2. have my new ship and MK V gear but I seem to be doing the same things as Lt Commander, only with slightly stronger enemies.

I think the game has potential, but only with aggressive design and paradigm changes. without that, this will appear to be a single player game that has a monthly fee.
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-23-2010, 01:28 PM
I forgot to add something.

PVP:

A cool feature would be ship boarding in pvp. I'm sure that has had to come up before. Get their shields down and beam over and into ground mode aboard their ship.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-23-2010, 01:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by losghost View Post
I forgot to add something.

PVP:

A cool feature would be ship boarding in pvp. I'm sure that has had to come up before. Get their shields down and beam over and into ground mode aboard their ship.
Stealth bump?

You edited the original post, then 8 minutes later forgot how to edit it again and had to make a second post.

As a reply(and free bump, whee), I'm going to take exception with your enjoying the skill tree. It's a cluster**** right now and needs a serious overhall. I've spent the last two tiers dumping 90% of my points into skills I don't even want because I have to put them somewhere and the ones I picked sucked slightly less than the other ones.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-23-2010, 01:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NinetyNine
Stealth bump?

You edited the original post, then 8 minutes later forgot how to edit it again and had to make a second post.

As a reply(and free bump, whee), I'm going to take exception with your enjoying the skill tree. It's a cluster**** right now and needs a serious overhall. I've spent the last two tiers dumping 90% of my points into skills I don't even want because I have to put them somewhere and the ones I picked sucked slightly less than the other ones.
No, not stealth bump. If I wanted to bump, I just would. I thought to retitled the thread, but it didn't and then reading other posts made me think to add another idea. I preferred to keep it in the same thread as opposed to making a new one.

My suggestions with the skills was the whole B.O. idea. I do agree with you on the player skills. I run into the same problems putting points in skills I dont care about because I can't put them anywhere else.