Lt. Commander
# 71
02-23-2010, 01:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sobekeus View Post
All that says is that they bought the photoshop's Perpetual did.
Actually, Cryptic owns Perpetual's art assets related to the game and has supposedly used them to the extent they could.
Lt. Commander
# 72
02-23-2010, 01:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikaelus View Post
I look at it this way...
CBS gave Perpetual 6 years to put out STO. (or so I've heard)

It sounds as though they spent 4 of those creating a proprietary engine they intended to use for multiple games. That's not a horrible thing but they were on STO's time designing an engine to be usable for more than just STO. It takes extra planning and special development to create something for multiple applications. If they designed the engine specifically for STO it might not have taken as long.

So they were cheating on CBS and STO a bit. But again... not horribly so.

The bigger problem is that it sounds like they had quite a bit to show for their "Gods and Heroes" game and nothing but concept art for STO. So they were under contract with CBS to develop STO within 6 years but it looks like they focused more on "Gods and Heroes". That ain't cool...

And at the end of the day we never see more for their version of STO than some concept art. For all we know they didn't do one thing to their engine to prepare it for STO. That really ain't cool...
I think people are misreading why I made my original point.

All throughout Beta those of us that have been constructively criticising Cryptics version of STO have been slain on the forums for having a voice and an opinion about how we FEEL about this game. I made that point in order to show that a lot of the folk that do find this game enjoyable and have no problems with it being in it's unfinished state are throwing around false information in an attempt to inflate their arguments.

Make no mistake THIS is wrong.

I need to make it clear that I do not want this game to fail. I do not wish for cryptic to lose face. But I am a firm believer in speaking the truth in all situations. There is no point lying and trying to fool people with lies as 'it all comes out in the wash in the end'. My continual presence on these forums is because I truly believe that the game that Cryptic has released fundamentally is a different game to the one that was being marketed PRE BETA. The facts are this: At some point during Beta Cryptic had some sort of crisis behind the scenes and changed the game dynamics completely. Placing a cap on a skill system that was never designed to be capped.

This action has had a complete knock on effect to the WHOLE dev team. Instead of having time to create the amount of content that would have filled out the game substantially, like crafting, Episodes, End game content, etc etc they now have to rework the whole game in order to work around this skill cap.

HOW MUCH TIME HAS BEEN WASTED???

People on this forum can discuss reasons for and against till they are blue in the face BUT the evidence is staggering. Whether you count reviews as trustworthy or not the majority are slaying this game. This is having an impact whether cryptic likes it or not. The people on this forum are on average unhappy with the game. YES I know there are those that are completely happy and will tell you as such, but even they have been agreeing the content is lacking.

So the question is now how can we help Cryptic to fix this situation? Will we have to brutally talk with our wallets? Or can those of us that have a voice strong enough break through the white noise of inane arguments and petty squabbles that are rife on this forum? As a community the Star Trek fans have done this sort of thing MANY TIMES before, we can certainly do it once again. Do we LOVE Star Trek ENOUGH to show them that they made a mistake? Or are we just going to walk away and play something else?
Lt. Commander
# 73
02-23-2010, 12:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zodi-emish
how do you know it's going to die? because of all the negativity on the forums, because TBH that is a poor indicator. look at star wars galaxies, they pulled the NGE thing, and those forums were up in more flames then theses forums yet that game is still going. 6 years strong, and on some servers you could even say it has a healthy population.

added to that most of the negativity is normal around an MMO first few months.

and yes this MMO will die, all MMO will die some day. but to say like it's going to happen at the end of the month, or the next 6 months is ( and I really don't mean to be rude. ) Ignorant.

EASY FIX .. I'll just change WILL to SHOULD.

Anyway, SWG when it was first released was for the most part, well-received, and I should know because I was there from the beginning, on the dev boards, and in closed-beta. I enjoyed that game until the nerfing, but my time there was already done at that point, so I did not care about the NGE. They took a chance to increase population after the game had already made its return on investment, and if they are continuing to be profitable after the changes, that's fantastic. That game was GOOD .. and any predictions of its death would have ignored that fact; it deserved the success it enjoyed, because it did deliver a Star Wars experience to the SW fan.

'THIS' game, on the other-hand, lacks the depth, and complexity of SWG .. and could not possibly hold the attention of any person with any depth or capacity of mind, which are traits that one should expect in a Star Trek fan .. or at least that has been the case in the past.
Lt. Commander
# 74
02-23-2010, 12:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surat View Post
EASY FIX .. I'll just change WILL to SHOULD.

'THIS' game, on the other-hand, lacks the depth, and complexity of SWG .. and could not possibly hold the attention of any person with any depth or capacity of mind, which are traits that one should expect in a Star Trek fan .. or at least that has been the case in the past.
you see the problem with wanting it to die,is the fact that the world runs on money. CBS holds the IP to star trek. now they invested in STO for the past 10 years. they have spent millions on this game, and they are going to want a return. well if the game dies then the chance of them giving out the IP again, goes out the window. why? well you see CBS is really run by Stockholders, and if this fails, the stock will drop. now it mite not be much per each stock, but when you have the people who have lost of it, it goes down a lot for them. so the stock drops, and down the road a board member brings up a star trek MMO, the stock holders mite look on to this as a risky move that failed the last time. so If I was a stock holder, and someone is putting my stock at risk again, when it comes time to elect the BODs, he mite not get my vote.

so what it comes down to is the fact that if it fails, our chances to command our ship goes out the window. sure there is a small chance that it mite not, but are you willing to risk that?

I wouldn't risk it, because the beauty of MMOs is the fact that they grow. And if you're really a Star Trek Fan who wants an Star Trek MMO, then you would stand behind this, and help it grow. if not that is OK but don't be wishing Doom on it. their is no point to ruin everyone else fun if you don't like it.

edit this is my last post I'm out of here peace.
Lt. Commander
# 75
02-23-2010, 01:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedidethfreak View Post
Did they actually cancel it, or did it go away because they went bankrupt?

I honestly don't know, as I've never even heard of it until this thread.

I think I remember hearing a lot of shady deals with perpetual around this time. i thought before they went bankrupt, they were in danger of getting the star trek license pulled because of allegation they were letting sto stagnate and devoting all their resources/funding to develop and promote their own IP in gods and heroes. Then there was this:

http://www.tentonhammer.com/node/15616

Kind of long but the general gist I got was they went bankrupt, sold the sto license to themselves at a loss and defaulted on a lot of payments they owed.
Lt. Commander
# 76
02-23-2010, 01:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maraculus View Post
Exactly. They got the rights to Gods and Heroes and they got the rights to the engine. They are NOT making another Star Trek Online. They DID NOT buy the rights to Star Trek Online. What the OP said is very misleading and the title is outright false.

or as i am fond of saying When words fail to describe the dismay, there is always Facepalm.
- When the fail is a GINORMOUS EPIC FAIL so strong, one Facepalm is not enough.
Lt. Commander
# 77
02-23-2010, 01:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikaelus View Post
I look at it this way...
CBS gave Perpetual 6 years to put out STO. (or so I've heard)

It sounds as though they spent 4 of those creating a proprietary engine they intended to use for multiple games. That's not a horrible thing but they were on STO's time designing an engine to be usable for more than just STO. It takes extra planning and special development to create something for multiple applications. If they designed the engine specifically for STO it might not have taken as long.

So they were cheating on CBS and STO a bit. But again... not horribly so.

The bigger problem is that it sounds like they had quite a bit to show for their "Gods and Heroes" game and nothing but concept art for STO. So they were under contract with CBS to develop STO within 6 years but it looks like they focused more on "Gods and Heroes". That ain't cool...

And at the end of the day we never see more for their version of STO than some concept art. For all we know they didn't do one thing to their engine to prepare it for STO. That really ain't cool...
This is what I was talking about. I think both mmo's were started around the same time. One was in closed beta and one was no where close to beta after six years, there's something wrong there. I may be wrong but I think there were episodes where cbs kicked in some cash that ended going to the development of gods and heroes instead.