Lt. Commander
# 21
02-22-2010, 10:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedisp View Post
Did you shell out money to buy the game? Are you paying a monthly fee to continue playing? If you are mission accomplished.

Of course it's not that it's that it isn't profitable to listen to us. I find it an incredible act of hubris to assume you know more than the team of people they have dedicated to knowing how to raise their bottom line. Changes cost money. And until the money they lose by not fixing things is greater than the cost of fixing things they'll keep content to a trickle.

So hey they don't sell burgers but most people will keep on paying the restaurant to sell them beans. Then they'll complain that the restaurant doesn't sell burgers while still chucking money at them.

Want change? Vote with your dollar. Want to maintain the status quo? Keep buying beans.
You do know how many development houses out there have absolutely no clue about "raising their bottom line" right? How many development houses go under, with some going under before they ever even really get off the ground?

Just hanging your sign out don't make you a doctor mate. The people that shelled out their hard earned dough for a lifetime sub to Tabula Rasa would probably like to sit you down and have a chat to wake you up so you can smell the coffee.

It always amazes me how people figure because someone slaps a mmo dev tag on they must drip pearls of wisdom about mmos. As evidenced by the dismal failures of some very high profile games in recent years, I'd say when they fail to listen to the right segments of their community, and only listen to those sucking up them and stroking their egos, more often than not they're dripping something else, and it don't smell very good.
Lt. Commander
# 22
02-22-2010, 10:19 PM
I agree that they have made poor choices... This trend started back with City of Heroes. PvP in this game is the only big ticket this game has to offer. Don't get me wrong, PvE will always have a place. But PvP set WoW ahead of EQ2 when EQ2 was a better PvE game. But EQ2 never realized pvp was important until recently. WoW pvp took the prize.

This game had to be prepared for launch. They needed some good carrots to throw out every other week. Instead they push out minor tweaks. I understand development CAN take time, but they could have played their cards better. For now it is too little to late, and I fear I and many others won't be paying the march monthly subscription fee because of how they played their hands. Sad, this game has promise.
Lt. Commander
# 23
02-23-2010, 12:36 AM
In response to the original post:
http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...57#post2180357
http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...44#post2180344
http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...35#post2180335
http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...56#post2180256

These are Jackalope's most recent posts. I suspect he is merely busy with his real job/role, which is probably not PR/OCR (Public Relations, Online Community Relations respectively).

I think the biggest problem with STO at the moment is its lack of PR/marketing, or rather, that Cryptic is forced to do both development and PR/marketing but does not have the resources for both. This has led to poor management of customer expectations. Keeping customers informed, such as using a running development roadmap, is basic to customer satisfaction.

The biggest question that Klingon players should be answering is, would you have been happier without a Klingon faction at all until it was more reasonably fleshed out?

This question was raised during Beta but Cryptic decided that it would be better to release with 2 factions instead of just 1, even if 1 of them was barely developed at all.

Is that decision hurting the game more than if the opposite decision were taken?

In my opinion, a PR/marketing department should have researched that question and answer far more deeply before making the decision. Of course, time constraints were still imposed by management (CBS and Atari), so perhaps even the most dedicated and funded PR/marketing team would not have been able to answer this properly within the time given.

So the only thing we players can do at the moment is sit and wait for the promised content. We can and should continue to provide feedback, but I suspect they already have all the feedback they need at this point. They merely need time to address our feedback.
Lt. Commander
# 24
02-23-2010, 11:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagon View Post
You do know how many development houses out there have absolutely no clue about "raising their bottom line" right? How many development houses go under, with some going under before they ever even really get off the ground?

Just hanging your sign out don't make you a doctor mate. The people that shelled out their hard earned dough for a lifetime sub to Tabula Rasa would probably like to sit you down and have a chat to wake you up so you can smell the coffee.

It always amazes me how people figure because someone slaps a mmo dev tag on they must drip pearls of wisdom about mmos. As evidenced by the dismal failures of some very high profile games in recent years, I'd say when they fail to listen to the right segments of their community, and only listen to those sucking up them and stroking their egos, more often than not they're dripping something else, and it don't smell very good.

.....Because after all , the financial decisions are made by the devs amirite? Honestly it seems like you forgot to read my posts. Jackalope and his ilk are little more than mouthpieces. They do a little song and dance to make you think Cryptic gives a damn and you'll keep giving them money.

Read the post. If you have already read it again.
Lt. Commander
# 25
02-23-2010, 12:36 PM
Do you really think Atari is in there telling Cryptic what to work on and add to the game? Really?
Sure Atari set the release date and thus screwed up this games chance to ever being seen as a success by the gaming public, but they're not in there telling Cryptic what to add and what to work on. It was the Cryptic producers that dropped the ball on the Klingon faction through mismanagement of time and resources, and it's them that are deciding to continue to give the Klingon faction the royal shafting.

Even if there was a remote possibility that Atari was pulling all these strings you think they are, their present financial woes should be evidence enough that they're obviously not the wunderkinds you are trying to make them out to be.
Lt. Commander
# 26
02-23-2010, 01:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedisp View Post
http://forums.startrekonline.com/sea...earchid=158183

That's his profile.

So he'll probably be around during March to assure us he totally plays Klingon and Klingon content is TOTALLY on the way. Then he'll do the same thing in April....then May repeat as necessary until server shuts down or he leaves Cryptic.
glad to see im not the only one who saw threw his bs
Lt. Commander
# 27
02-23-2010, 03:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagon View Post
Do you really think Atari is in there telling Cryptic what to work on and add to the game? Really?
Sure Atari set the release date and thus screwed up this games chance to ever being seen as a success by the gaming public, but they're not in there telling Cryptic what to add and what to work on. It was the Cryptic producers that dropped the ball on the Klingon faction through mismanagement of time and resources, and it's them that are deciding to continue to give the Klingon faction the royal shafting.

Even if there was a remote possibility that Atari was pulling all these strings you think they are, their present financial woes should be evidence enough that they're obviously not the wunderkinds you are trying to make them out to be.
After all Cryptic is ran completely by game developers right?

Cryptic has done the EXACT same thing every damn game it makes. Then people get surprised it happened again. You people keep paying them and try top make it look like you aren't the stupid ones and just vote with your dollar and leave.

Subscribers wounded prides aside until you see people leaving ien masse droves their strategy is working beautifully.

Your entire point is that businesses are dumb because they go out of business. That doesn't make the business dumb anymore that it makes a bear that gets beaten by a bigger bear a weakling.

Companies are rarely stupid. More often than not they become too transparent. MMOs are lno exception. Until people start leaving Cryptic can release it's patches as slow as it desires.

It's always about the bottom line and until a major overhaul of the minority faction starts becoming cost effective you won't be seeing your city of gold.

But it has been shown that people are fine with wanting hamburgers hating beans and yet still hand out payment after payment complaining the entire time while acting befuddles as to why it's happening.
Lt. Commander
# 28
02-23-2010, 03:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by faithborn
dude age of conan still sucks. they have server disconnects every 15 minutes.
False

I've been playing actively since launch on the most populated server in the game.

The past 2 years I think I've had a server disconnect a handful of times all related to sieges.
Lt. Commander
# 29
02-23-2010, 03:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjaboy View Post
False

I've been playing actively since launch on the most populated server in the game.

The past 2 years I think I've had a server disconnect a handful of times all related to sieges.
I agree here. I was playing *** steady before STO beta and the servers were very stable, and it's actually the best mmo on the market now in my opinion. The thing is though, even with it becoming the best on the market, that's still not helping the game recover from it's disastrous first couple of months. The population continues to dwindle.

That's the reality of the market now. You're made or broken within 60 days. You're gimped already if too many people aren't happy within the first 30.

Thinking STO, and even more pressing, the Klingon faction, can recover and flourish later without very large improvements done very soon is folly. Complete folly. The scary thing is that one gets the impression that Cryptic/Atari has a minimum number set that they'll be satisfied with, but if they don't get quite a bit more in than the little bit they said they will in the "what's next for STO" post I seriously doubt they'll keep that many, whatever that number is. I want to be wrong. I oh so want to be wrong. I just don't think I am though. I haven't been yet when it comes to this game.
Lt. Commander
# 30
02-23-2010, 08:24 PM
Regarding Age of Conan, I was there at release. There was a ridiculous amount of people playing. We were having fun, especially at Tortage.

But once we played more, peeled back more on the onion, things got worse. Bugs, unfinished content, broken sieges, broken character skills, etc.

That game quickly lost its momentum. The hordes of players left, and IMO, the game has yet to recover from that.

I haven't played it much since then, just a trial once to see what's going on. Maybe the devs really did fix alot, bring more content in. But the sad fact remains is that the game is a ghost town, especially compared to the first 2 months of going live. Very few people left to enjoy what the devs have done to fix and improve the game.

I agree with this statement: MMOs succeed or fail within the first 2 months.

If a new MMO gets alot of players at the beginning, it is all up to the devs to keep them and get more, or all up to the devs to LOSE them. WoW was a bit of a fiasco at launch, but Blizzard held on: Patching like madmen and gaining players. Age of Conan and Warhammer Online started fast, but fizzled. For all the hype leading into *** & WO, they've failed in their expectations.