Lt. Commander
# 1 Crash on startup/patch
02-09-2010, 08:34 PM
Greetings,

I've had this problem since the open beta and still haven't been able to get anybody to respond with something meaningful. I've now been on hold for 3 hours and 45 minutes to talk to somebody in support but I have the feeling they all went home. Oh, well. Anyway, when the program starts it says it's going to try to contact a server and then immediately crashes. If I look in the STO directory I see a crash.log file and it has this line in it:

100204 00:41:43 1 MasterControlProgram[1]: Shutting down: C:\src\Core\CrypticLauncher\patcher.c(104)

In errors.log it says:
100204 00:41:46 1 MasterControlProgram[1]: OLE failed to initialize: 1
100204 00:41:46 2 MasterControlProgram[1]: Shutting down from fatal error "OLE failed to initialize: 1"

What's going on here? I've disabled virus scanner and firewall, then plugged computer directly into cable modem. Same thing. I've never been able to play a single minute in this game yet.

Help!!!!!!!!

Thanks,
Paul
Lt. Commander
# 2 I figured it out myself...
02-23-2010, 05:08 PM
With zero help from Cryptic, I finally figure out the problem. Turns out my NetNanny that I use to keep my teenager safe was the issue. Disabling it didn't help at all. I had to create an exception for the .exe file and then it magically started working. Anyway, hopefully this benefits someone else.