Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > Feature Episodes, Events and PvE Content
Login

Lt. Commander
I have been fighting ground engagements sans shield for about a week now and it just keeps getting better and better. My Bridge Officers fan out and take cover as soon as the fighting starts because they no longer have their personal shields either.

The ground engagements are now much more different than space encounters. With the personal shield it was about the same dynamic as a space battle but with a floor (in 2D so to speak) shields as shields, expose weapons as beams and exploit weapons as torpedoes. But as soon as I dropped the shields the ground combat became a lot more of a fire fight a shootout. It's like in the movies. It's fantastic.

The strategies and tactics that come into play once you get over the loss of the personal shield as a crutch are fascinating and immensely enjoyable. Every fight has it's own unique choreography and a different hero emerges from my crew with each engagement.

"We've gone through death and life together."

There was a time when the ground combat missions or parts of episodes where you boarded a ship or a facility were just something I had to do to get back to the cool as hell space combat, now I look forward to each epic ground confrontation.

It's awesome, incredible, exciting, and exhilarating.

You must try this. (and I mean that in the way someone tasting a new exotic delicacy mumbles the suggestion with their mouth full of awesome)

My mouth is figuratively full of awesome.

This is my new favorite video game ...of all time.

I love this game.
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-23-2010, 06:43 PM
Just for sheets and giggles I dropped my shield on my BOP for T1-2 PVP and even still I wasn't dying easily.

Granted if I jumped into a group of ships I would die quickly but 1v1 or 2v1 I was even able to take out at least one opponent.

I was trying to do my 25 death mission. I was even flying up and sitting right in front of a Fed ship, and still the BOP would take a beating before it blow.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-23-2010, 06:57 PM
Excellent idea. Ground combat was annoying the hell out of me, Going to give it a try.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-23-2010, 07:03 PM
It's a pity that we have to go through so many hoops to get any sort of challenge in this game.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-23-2010, 09:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfing View Post
It's a pity that we have to go through so many hoops to get any sort of challenge in this game.
I agree to a degree.

The game is already customizable. This is a small adjustment to game play that adds a bit more strategy to the mix. It is not for everyone.

I love this game.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-23-2010, 09:51 PM
I'm glad that there are people out there willing to try to have fun and enjoy the game rather than focusing entirely on being an invincible, immortal, 1337 geared..... um.. 177t357

The game is meant to be fun, and I'm glad people are messing around and enjoying it this way.

Just remember to toss your shield back on during raids, that might anger some of your fleet mates.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-24-2010, 08:57 AM
I wonder how many of the "combat is to easy" people have made it to the higher levels? Yes it was pretty much "easy" untill you level a tier or two. There are some flaws, all knockback cone weapons (ground) are a bit easy, but simple not to just take the easy mode and use differnt ones and its not so easy. I have played with many in group ground missions that dont have quite the grasp on it I do and its not easy for them. Much the same with Space combat, cant count how many times in fleet action is see people not stay in "fleet" and go off on there own and die. \

some will say "no DP so who cares?" well , no ship shooting, no DPS no loot at end.. so yes, the DP in fleet action is reduced DPS and possibly no loot.
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-24-2010, 01:37 PM
I've only gotten killed on the ground, probably 6-12 times now, so I find ground combat hard enough. The mission to save Lt. Paris was a nightmare because of all the tier 4 enemies running about with their near-invincibility.

Personally, though, I use dual pistols. I think it's just badass. Using dual pistols is like one of those "I'm a badass" things a person can do. Gives you that Lara Croft feeling. I also use martial arts. Sometimes I switch out for a sniper rifle if I'm far off and have the high ground just for that sniper feeling, especially against Swordmasters and their ilk since they're so hard to take down because they always try to run in and melee you, forcing you to use martial arts against a bat'leth (very annoying that we don't have martial arts-based weapons like a katana, this needs to be added in pronto to make the melee a bit more fair).
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-24-2010, 03:38 PM
the problem is that people who play these types of games are smart and highly intellectual people and can adapt to any difficulty and we are the majority.

you lindsay are the minority who wants everything dumbed down to your level. im not surprised you died 6-12 times.

theres no tension with combat at all. i dont care how they want to achieve it, whether they write the word tension in bold letters on the screen when fighting, but they need to , or what is there now is just a waste and everyone who has played through the game which is alot of people now realises theres no challenge to combat in space or ground.

in a game like mass effect where you can save and reload, you still feel tension because you need to actively move and do things to prevent yourself from dying. in this game you just stand in the open and shoot.
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-24-2010, 03:55 PM
I really enjoyed City on the Edge of Never.

I'm not suggesting everyone play this way. And I'm not suggesting Cryptic change anything except for keeping it up and running and not crashing.

My point has always been that if you wanted to think more (and I agree that this game attracts a more cerebral player than a lot of mmo's because Star Trek has always been a smart person's show) then remove the personal shield. It really doesn't crank up the difficulty that much. The initial change is frustrating because your bridge officers have to unlearn their dependence on the personal shields but once they do, it's about the same level of difficulty just with more strategy.

It is not for everyone but I just wanted to spread the word because it's a whole lot of freaking fun. I kid you not.

I love this game.