Lt. Commander
# 21
02-24-2010, 05:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threather
^^
This

However that scares me a bit. If they have to ask for money from a publisher at this point, they will have to negotiate a deal that involves either one (or all) of the following things:
  1. Make Plans for a Box Expansion
  2. Increased Micro-Transaction Features
  3. Give a publisher a larger share of the subscription fee

That being said, I hope this is more of a poll to direct their priorities. This isn't Cryptic's product anymore, its our product. If they want to get paid, then they have to make something we want. Then again, I'm a lifer (on two accounts) . . . so they already have my money.
I don't think that's the case, because the publisher, Atari, owns, either wholly or in part, Cryptic. The "negotiations" aren't really a factor anymore. Cryptic needs to do what Atari says, pretty much period. The sub fees probably go mostly to Atari as it is, we know they're going to ramp up on C-store items, and a boxed expansion won't be a bad thing.
Lt. Commander
# 22
02-24-2010, 05:40 AM
From the survey:

How old are you?

18-25
25-30
30-40

So which answer do you choose if you're 25? Or 30?
Lt. Commander
# 23
02-24-2010, 05:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eheufaucan
From the survey:

How old are you?

18-25
25-30
30-40

Have you hit the half-way point yet? If no, the first. If yes, the second.
Lt. Commander
# 24
02-24-2010, 06:08 AM
It is a good start despite the lack of an option to define some elements. I hope they start to use such a tool often. Shoot I would not even irked if they sent one out every week to be frank.
Lt. Commander
# 25
02-24-2010, 06:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by .Spartan View Post
It is a good start despite the lack of an option to define some elements. I hope they start to use such a tool often. Shoot I would not even irked if they sent one out every week to be frank.
Agreed, especially if they shoot an email to everyone when they do them all, and entice people with C-store points. It will give them a more honest and accurate readout of what the actual playerbase wants in the game - and let's face it, it's the PLAYER BASE - not just forum posters - who's opinion should matter, and as long as the options that they put on the survey include some or most of the topics brought up on the forums, it is a great tool. I see no reason for people to think the game will fail because they want our input on what should be considered the most important additions.
Lt. Commander
# 26
02-24-2010, 06:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedidethfreak View Post
I don't think that's the case, because the publisher, Atari, owns, either wholly or in part, Cryptic. The "negotiations" aren't really a factor anymore. Cryptic needs to do what Atari says, pretty much period. The sub fees probably go mostly to Atari as it is, we know they're going to ramp up on C-store items, and a boxed expansion won't be a bad thing.
Not entirely accurate.

Yes they're owned by Atari; but remember, even within the same company if Division A tells Management "Hey, Management, we need X to please our customers" they need some way to justify the expenditure to management.

Cryptic's budget to work on STO is going to be affected by:

A) Profits - the more money coming in, the more money Atari will be willing to reinvest in the game. (Unless they're idiots of course. I'll never, ever put anything past human stupidity.)

B) Chance for Profits - This is where the survey comes in. More stuff players want = more customers on a longer term basis = more money. If Cryptic can show Atari "Hey, if we do this, we'll probably be able to bring you more money in the long term" - they're more likely to be willing to fund that.

Ultimately despite being part of the same whole, you've still got to convince the people at the top to fund your project.
Lt. Commander
# 27
02-24-2010, 06:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistformsquirrel
Not entirely accurate.

Yes they're owned by Atari; but remember, even within the same company if Division A tells Management "Hey, Management, we need X to please our customers" they need some way to justify the expenditure to management.

Cryptic's budget to work on STO is going to be affected by:

A) Profits - the more money coming in, the more money Atari will be willing to reinvest in the game. (Unless they're idiots of course. I'll never, ever put anything past human stupidity.)

B) Chance for Profits - This is where the survey comes in. More stuff players want = more customers on a longer term basis = more money. If Cryptic can show Atari "Hey, if we do this, we'll probably be able to bring you more money in the long term" - they're more likely to be willing to fund that.

Ultimately despite being part of the same whole, you've still got to convince the people at the top to fund your project.
Yeah, I'm well aware of that, but Atari would be an idiot to NOT invest in the future of STO. Contrary to what people may think of the game NOW, this game has so much potential, it being Star Trek AND it being placed where it is in the Trek timeline. To not invest heavily to make this a great MMO - regardless of reasoning - would be suicide for Atari/Infogrames/Namco-Bandai.

However, my general point was that, since Atari owns Cryptic, it's treated differently than the standard "developer negotiates with publisher, publisher milks dveloper, developer dies" mentality in the gaming industry.
Lt. Commander
# 28
02-24-2010, 06:37 AM
Well, since any other MMO I've played that has done a survey has limited them to MAYBE 3 questions maximum and not rewarded you in any way for taking it...I'm giving Cryptic a "Well done!"

For those complaining about the depth of this survey...well, I'm pretty sure you'll never be happy. :p
Lt. Commander
# 29
02-24-2010, 06:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eheufaucan
From the survey:

How old are you?

18-25
25-30
30-40

That was easy, I chose 30-40 since I'm not getting any younger.
Lt. Commander
# 30
02-24-2010, 06:39 AM
I did the survey and got 240 Cryptic Points. Hooray for me.