Lt. Commander
# 61
02-24-2010, 10:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic_One View Post
I don't see any edits in this thread so it was probably an infraction for something else that pushed him over 9 and into a 3-day ban.
Nah im pretty sure it was another thread the details of which would get me in trouble for talking about
Lt. Commander
# 62
02-24-2010, 11:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyx
Not really, usually moderators don't read the post reported. So if you got beef with someone or can't win an argument just hit report button multiple times, the guy will most probably get a ban.At least thats what i think happens here mostly.
Not true. I've been a moderator on forums before and we're required to read each reported post, as well as read the others around them to get the context of the discussion. Sometimes the person making the post gets an infraction and other times the person reporting the post gets an infraction for doing so with less then honorable intentions.
Lt. Commander
# 63
02-24-2010, 11:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
I'd just like to add that even if it wasnt the Devs fault that the game was relased "too early", if they KNEW it was going to be released too early, it should have affected their design plan. For example, if they knew there wasnt going to be endgame content, then they should have adjusted the leveling speed so that it took longer to reach the end game than it currently does.
Possibly it was because they stopped everything they were currently working on to give the Klingons more love?
Lt. Commander
# 64
02-24-2010, 11:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_Dravis
For those looking for evidence of Atari's involvement:

These are taken from Atari's web site:

May 29, 2009 -- states expected release of STO by end of 2009/2010 fiscal year

November 12, 2009 -- states release date of STO as February 02, 2010

There was also a corporate release between those two stating expected release of STO by March 31, 2010. But I lost that link, apologies.

Note that these were all dates given long before Cryptic or the STO web site or forums confirmed any release dates. Cryptic's tag line had been, "You will get a release date from us first."

The quote claiming that Cryptic churns out MMOs in 18-24 month cycles is slightly out of context. The actual statement is on Atari's web site under Corporate Strategy (for 2008):

http://corporate.atari.com/infograme...strategy_1.php

Not saying that any of this is proof of anything. Just saying, here are the official corporate releases. Make of them what you will.

It also says nothing of CBS' involvement, which is the parent owner of the Star Trek intellectual property and franchise.
Good job with the info Matt, and you can bet your bottom dollar, that CBS does have a ton of influence in the game design and development.
Lt. Commander
# 65
02-24-2010, 11:08 AM
Quote:
Not true. I've been a moderator on forums before and we're required to read each reported post, as well as read the others around them to get the context of the discussion. Sometimes the person making the post gets an infraction and other times the person reporting the post gets an infraction for doing so with less then honorable intentions.
My experience as well. With the addition that a good number of reported posts get no action at all. We look at the reported post, check out the context, and frequently decide that there wasn't anything over the line.

That being said, I've no idea how it works here. But it wouldn't surprise me if it was basically what I'm used to.
Lt. Commander
# 66
02-24-2010, 11:13 AM
Quote:
They're really cracking down on anyone who uses Troll or Fanboi in threads now. I know they've given out a lot of infraction points for that if used in a negative manner. Not saying those two did, but it's easy to get a point for callling someone a fanboy or troll now, and they add up quickly.
Yeah, both of those terms seem to be losing what meaning they ever had. Once upon a time "fanboy" meant "someone who was unwilling to see anything negative about the thing they were a fan of". Now it seems to mean "someone who disagrees with me and likes something more/hates something less than I do".
Lt. Commander
# 67
02-24-2010, 11:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by archermoo View Post
Yeah, both of those terms seem to be losing what meaning they ever had. Once upon a time "fanboy" meant "someone who was unwilling to see anything negative about the thing they were a fan of". Now it seems to mean "someone who disagrees with me and likes something more/hates something less than I do".
The same is true for the word "troll."

On the other hand, I think it's silly to dole out points for using those words. Even without those words, the tone of the posts here isn't going to change. Someone who wants to say that will simply say it differently.
Lt. Commander
# 68
02-24-2010, 11:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krussian
So this is your goodbye post? You'll stop whining on the forums then?

Yes, I blame Atari, not Cryptic on rushing the game out before it's done. But I'm confident that they will turn this around and get it into proper shape. The game isn't perfect by far but it's still fun for me. I'm just really getting tired of all the hate posts and "game sux" posts all over the place.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slackjaw
I blame Atari for this mess.
Why does everyone want to blame CBS and Atari? Cryptic set the release date BEFORE Atari bought them. Atari bought them because Cryptic says they are capable of punching out MMO's in 18 to 24 months of time. Cryptic says this ... not CBS and not Atari... although I will say that Atari sucks too.
Lt. Commander
# 69
02-24-2010, 11:19 AM
Working for a big company, I understand the frustrations corporate leaders can pose. sadly the fault isn't 100% theirs either. The investors don't like to see delays in their returns. (This is assuming like all other companies they got investors to front the cash). Investors like to push and get their money back asap. Now it is the corporate leaders that make the final decisions and depending on who they are, most seek immediate return no matter what their return is vs potential return.
Lt. Commander
# 70
02-24-2010, 11:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleRomulus View Post
The same is true for the word "troll."
Yup. I just saved myself some time only talking about one of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleRomulus View Post
On the other hand, I think it's silly to dole out points for using those words. Even without those words, the tone of the posts here isn't going to change. Someone who wants to say that will simply say it differently.
Which is why you don't infract people for using those specific words, you infract them for being <censored>s. Those two words can just help a mod notice it.