Lt. Commander
# 41
02-15-2010, 07:08 AM
Tier 2 Science is not useless.

There is a kit with ALL expose chance attacks/debuffs. Look for it. Get it. Do as the OP said and grab 2 sniper rifles or 1 sniper rifle and 1 split beam.

I play engineer. I have a kit with weapon malfunction ( expose chance ), a shield recharge, a weapon malfunction fix. I don't bother with the turret, generators or mines. The ONLY thing they are good for is jacking with targeting. There is a bug when you do nearest enemy or nearest expose that it will target a turret/generator/cover shield before it targets a player EVEN if there is a player closer.

I use a stun pistol and a sniper rifle. I would go with two exploit weapons, but I have less expose abilities and I need the fast cooldown on the pistol to help generate some. Plus the stun is lovely. My damage does go down though and it hurts some, but coupled with my science buddy, we do pretty good on either Fed or Klingon.

Feel free to look me up if you want to run some PVP. Both my guys and my buddies are going through T2, but now close to T3.

Federation = Froboz@Capt.Froboz
Klingon = Kardaffi@Capt.Froboz
Lt. Commander
# 42
02-15-2010, 07:49 AM
I have been ground PvPing as a fed a LOT with my current character, from T1 onwards. I have noticed that feds are much less experienced and organized overall, but we also have a much larger player pool to draw from as well.

I do have a question and observation. I have noticed that the KDF side seems to do much higher damage overall than feds, even when the feds are using split beams. Why is this?

KDF can do some ungodly damage even on non-exploit attacks. I was running the Physician kit for a while, and with the hyperspray buff that gives me roughly 18% resistance to energy I was still 1-shot many times by non-exploit attacks (full shields and health -- over 2k dmg at Commander by split beams).

I rarely see feds doing that much damage.

Anyway, thanks for this thread. Just wish more feds would read it.
Lt. Commander
# 43
02-15-2010, 07:53 AM
Good post. My experiences too.

I am an engineer, I use the weapon malfunction/mines/bomb kit in pvp (enemy neutralization).

I drop mines in doors, bombs on my position, and malfunction anyone that gets in my face or when I need to get away.

No lie, I had one guy sending me angry tells because he thought that kdf did more damage than feds in ground pvp. I had to try to figure out what he was doing wrong, with him getting angry at me thinking I am patronizing him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chakotay317
I know you trying to be helpful etc.. but you personally come off being an ass and one of the WoW arena freaks that always annoys the crap out of me.

Actually the Science officers can't use aoe damage kits kill t3 I think it was... so till then.. Sci officer kinda blow in ground pvp..
Dude. Seriously. Shhhhh. Just listen.
Lt. Commander
# 44
02-24-2010, 11:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortechs View Post
I have been ground PvPing as a fed a LOT with my current character, from T1 onwards. I have noticed that feds are much less experienced and organized overall, but we also have a much larger player pool to draw from as well.

I do have a question and observation. I have noticed that the KDF side seems to do much higher damage overall than feds, even when the feds are using split beams. Why is this?

KDF can do some ungodly damage even on non-exploit attacks. I was running the Physician kit for a while, and with the hyperspray buff that gives me roughly 18% resistance to energy I was still 1-shot many times by non-exploit attacks (full shields and health -- over 2k dmg at Commander by split beams).

I rarely see feds doing that much damage.

Anyway, thanks for this thread. Just wish more feds would read it.
Might be the fact that Klingon's get racial bonus to crits and weapons... I think feds can get them too.. but seriously were you thinking of creating your first char for only ground pvp?
Lt. Commander
# 45
02-24-2010, 11:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anxiety
Doubt it, given how long it takes to get into a match fedside due to queues. I mean, yeah, the whole 'get as much xp whether you win or not' thing is pretty stupid, and seems tempting, but when you have to wait between matches sometimes up to half an hour or more even during the day, that's not efficient at all.

For xp they'd be better off grinding DSE's. For gear they can grind exploration (which is pretty similar to the pvp gear and faster to get due to no queues).

Reminds me of Warhammer....
Lt. Commander
# 46
02-24-2010, 12:18 PM
Yeah, in general our Fed teams are far more disorganized than the average Klinger team. Last night I PUG'd for a bit in PvP, and most of the matches we got steamrolled (in general, I'd say it's about a 30% chance that I get 2 or more experienced, organized PvPers on a PUG -- last night seemed to defy those odds). Anyhow, during the last couple matches I ran, I was with the same PUG, and one of the people was absolutely stunned that I was topping 6,000 damage (whereas the others on the team were averaging 2,000 - 3,000) -- I didn't know what to say, since that's honestly where everyone on the team needs to be, if they're pulling their weight. Unfortunately, I think the biggest problem is that most Feds spend more time dead than the klingers do (which was evident last night ), and less time alive and givin' 'em hell -- and the major reason for this is that they've got the "hero syndrome" from PvE, where they can pile solo into a group of enemies and come out just fine. No attention is paid to focusing on a single team target, or utilizing terrain for cover.
Lt. Commander
# 47
02-24-2010, 12:23 PM
I've been accused in tells of having some kind of innate bonus to damage.

I pointed out that I generally don't shoot unless I am flanking. I strive to flank, and strive to control my enemy through use of mines. Real simple stuff.

The dude got ****ed off when I tried to ask him what he was doing wrong. He acted like I was talking down to him, when really I was just trying to figure out why he was failing.

Then I see people run out into the middle of rooms, not find cover when exposed, run around with no shields, run into 2-3 opponents at once...
Lt. Commander
# 48
02-24-2010, 12:24 PM
Hey, you weren't supposed to bump this thread. :-p I made another, less snarky one with some new provocative information:
http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...d.php?t=124515

Curiously, the one without all the jabbing, snarky comments fell off the front page with no replies so fast, most of you probably never even saw it! Which is, I think, a vital lesson in Forum Threadcrafting: if you want your post to be noticed, you kind of have to be a jerk.
Lt. Commander
# 49
02-24-2010, 12:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slamz
Hey, you weren't supposed to bump this thread. :-p I made another, less snarky one with some new provocative information:
http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...d.php?t=124515

Curiously, the one without all the jabbing, snarky comments fell off the front page with no replies so fast, most of you probably never even saw it! Which is, I think, a vital lesson in Forum Threadcrafting: if you want your post to be noticed, you kind of have to be a jerk.
That's how it works with women too.
Lt. Commander
# 50
02-24-2010, 12:56 PM
Pfft, I've been accused of getting more exposes than I should. Apparently the computers are on my side!