Lt. Commander
I really love Star Trek and I like this game also when from Gene Roddenberry's vision is not much in it.

But please reduce the fight missions. I really hate it when I read kill 5 Klingon/Gorn/Orion/.... ships. In Star Trek you don't fight without a good reason.

And why are there no rescue capsules or the possibility to surrender for enemy ships. I am now Commander and I killed more people in this game than any plague in history of mankind - and that without any Reason .

Therefore put in more diplomatic missions. Maybe you think such missions are boring but believe me Trekkies likes morality stuff.

And please make the mission against the crystalline entity easier. I tried this mission three times and I always failed .
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-21-2010, 06:58 AM
this isnt TOS or TNG, closer to late DS9. federation is at war on several fronts, and the military side of starfleet has to become more prevalent.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-21-2010, 06:59 AM
as for CE, couple days ago we did it 3 times in 20 mins. its easy if you get organised. impossible if your not.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-21-2010, 07:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper2024 View Post
But please reduce the fight missions. I really hate it when I read kill 5 Klingon/Gorn/Orion/.... ships. In Star Trek you don't fight without a good reason.
A lot of players share your opinion. Don't listen to the "diz iz wooooar" kids : Cryptic already said that they will release more non combat content.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-21-2010, 07:29 AM
Quote:

And why are there no rescue capsules or the possibility to surrender for enemy ships. I am now Commander and I killed more people in this game than any plague in history of mankind - and that without any Reason .

Therefore put in more diplomatic missions. Maybe you think such missions are boring but believe me Trekkies likes morality stuff.
A Cryptic DEV has stated that this is in the works:

http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...52#post2143552

That entire thread has ideas for offering players the choice between lethal and non-lethal combat, as well as introducing diplomacy content without compromising (or reducing) existing combat gameplay:

http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...d.php?t=110953
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-21-2010, 07:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delazure View Post
A lot of players share your opinion. Don't listen to the "diz iz wooooar" kids : Cryptic already said that they will release more non combat content.
And as a long time Trekker, I'm most definitely looking forward to more non-combat content. However, I can see that, it being a state of war, you are going to have combat situations--there's just no getting around it. Plus, Star Trek did include a great deal of adversarial conflict in all its different forms. Finally, the nature of most computer RPGs and MMOs does necessitate a heavy combat element to attract as wide an audience as possible. I can see where the developers really can't have a box appearing where the opposing captain surrenders--especially if you're involved in a multi-ship action. Here, I think the player has to use a bit of imagination--after the battle you rescue the enemy's escape pods or what have you.

That being said, there's one particular mission--I won't spoil it for those who haven't heard about it/ran through it yet, that I think does go completely against the spirit of Trek to the point where I really don't want to participate in it because I think that it would spoil my immersion too much--it's a mission really much better suited to the Klingon faction. I hope that Cryptic either retools the mission where you can resolve it in a more "Trek" manner, or that it will release enough alternate content to where you can bypass the mission and still be able to level your character up completely. As it stands now, even if it does prevent me from leveling up completely, I don't think I'll undertake the mission.

In any event, I do think Cryptic will take our constructive criticisms to heart, but we also have to be a little patient. It's going to take them time to do it--we can't expect them to fix everything in a day or a week or even a month.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-21-2010, 07:43 AM
Just posting it here for reference:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstahl View Post
We're absolutely reading these threads. We want to take the game in the direction that will bring less combat into the game. We are already discussing how to add more non-combat mission varieties as well as ways to bring the Federation game inline with Prime Directives. It is not going to happen overnight, and you are going to see Raid and high end combat game play happen first (as those elements were already in development as we were shipping) but more non-combative gameplay IS coming.

There are tons of great ideas on these boards and we absolutely encourage you to suggest and vote for things that you think would be great. Star Trek Online will mature and mission variety and scoping will get better. We're committed to that.

On a personal note, it is painful to read posts stating the team doesn't understand or haven't watched a single episode of trek. Its simply false and unfair. Most of the team is comprised of die-hard trek fans.

Cryptic is a game developing company. Many decisions went into what type of "gameplay" is at the heart of a "game". Once direction is set, the entire team is on task to deliver that gameplay, and many gruelling hours were spent to make it.

Now that the game is out and available for everyone to play, it is consumers that validate decisions that were made through feedback and purchase. You are doing an excellent job at expressing how you feel about the gameplay and decisions are being made to address your concerns about the "game". Too much combat and improper Federation behaviors has been heard loud and clear.

To see your feedback through, it will take time as management collates your comments and acts on them. It will then be up to the team again to deliver that gameplay.

Thanks to those who spend the time to type up well thought up feedbacks and constructive criticism. They do help and we do read them.

Hopefully you read this in kind. Many of you like myself are lifers on this game. We will shape it into something even better with time.

Cheers
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-21-2010, 12:50 PM
Quote:
I'm happy to hear that I am not the only one.

Otherwise I would begin to think I'm in the wrong universe. Maybe in the mirror universe.

@Matt_Dravis
Thank you for posting the comment from dstahl.

@Developer

Why are there no non deadly weapons on ground missions. It would reduce my death toll .
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-21-2010, 01:11 PM
Quote:
I really love Star Trek and I like this game also when from Gene Roddenberry's vision is not much in it.

And please make the mission against the crystalline entity easier. I tried this mission three times and I always failed .

Roddenberry wouldn't like most of the ST stuff since his death. He didnt even like ST:The Undiscovered Country but died before he could do anything about it.

You think he would dig something like Elite Force released 10 years ago?

If they put in non combat stuff, great...but please spare us with this Roddenberry vision stuff.
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-24-2010, 01:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by VGer View Post
Roddenberry wouldn't like most of the ST stuff since his death. He didnt even like ST:The Undiscovered Country but died before he could do anything about it.

You think he would dig something like Elite Force released 10 years ago?

If they put in non combat stuff, great...but please spare us with this Roddenberry vision stuff.
I am really surprised about you post. Okay the Domion War had never happend under Roddenberry's supervising but I think he did a great job.

He had the courage for several social changes in the 1960s (an afro-american woman in a leading position on the bridge, a japanese and a russian crew member on the bridge,...) and a vision of a better world.

Star Trek have much more morality and brain stuff than all other TV shows - thank to him.

Like Star Wars there is a lot of the Buddhism philosophy in it (George Lucas and Gene Roddenberry are/was buddhists).

And the TV shows after his death (like the terrible Star Trek: Enterprise) are not so succesful and popular like TOS and TNG.