Lt. Commander
# 61
02-03-2010, 04:59 PM
It seems to me that the whole CREW thing is a little wonky. I know that there are basically three levels: White = "Alive crew", Yellow = "Incapacitated Crew" and Grey = "Dead Crew". Perhpas what should be done is that YELLOW crew will replenish while in the middle of a mission while GREY crew will not replenish untill you are out in sector space. As crew "health" directly coresponds to your ships repair rate, this would make loosing your crew more meaningful. As it stands, I really don't pay much attention to my crew as I know that any YELLOW or GREY crew will turn white in just a few seconds.
Lt. Commander
# 62
02-24-2010, 04:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahak View Post
(Added bold for emphasis)
You're naive optimism is refreshing. Nothing, ever, will shut everyone up.

If you want a penalty, then fly yourself back to base every time you die, and you can RP repairing your ship and reinforcing your crew. Petitioning for a time wasting penalty is selfish. It says to me that you basically want all the non-powergamers to be held back so that the people who can afford to waste time running back to base, or waiting out a 'res sickness' can advance through the game proportionally faster.

Losing five to ten minutes of game time for someone who can play eight hours a day is not a penalty. For someone who is lucky to get a consecutive hour, it's enough to make people give up.

Don't petition to handicap others, if you are that great, handicap yourself. This isn't a competition, so you shouldn't care that others aren't handicapped. There is no hard-core mode, but by all means, feel free to delete your character and start fresh every time you die if that's what makes you happy.
You just made my day.
Lt. Commander
# 63
02-24-2010, 05:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahak View Post
(Added bold for emphasis)
You're naive optimism is refreshing. Nothing, ever, will shut everyone up.

If you want a penalty, then fly yourself back to base every time you die, and you can RP repairing your ship and reinforcing your crew. Petitioning for a time wasting penalty is selfish. It says to me that you basically want all the non-powergamers to be held back so that the people who can afford to waste time running back to base, or waiting out a 'res sickness' can advance through the game proportionally faster.

Losing five to ten minutes of game time for someone who can play eight hours a day is not a penalty. For someone who is lucky to get a consecutive hour, it's enough to make people give up.

Don't petition to handicap others, if you are that great, handicap yourself. This isn't a competition, so you shouldn't care that others aren't handicapped. There is no hard-core mode, but by all means, feel free to delete your character and start fresh every time you die if that's what makes you happy.
Most games have death penalties. If I hit a mine in minesweeper I have to start again. If I die in MW2 I have to reload from my last checkpoint, and everything I did from there is reset. Why should STO be any different? My suggestions for death penalties: Enemy ships/people should regen to full health and shields automatically when they leave combat, and if you die when an enemy group is only partially killed then the dead ones should revive too. That way the death penalty becomes an incentive to be a better player and try new tactics in difficult fights rather than just brute forcing everything until it's dead.