Lt. Commander
# 31
02-24-2010, 12:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khabok
After tossing around the ideas with some RL friends at work who also play STO, we came up with the following solution that would make everyone happy!

Implement difficulty sliders, and attach death penalties to the sliders, as well as increased rewards for increased difficulty.

There would be several settings, with the following:

Standard: Normal difficulty, exactly how it is now, with the current loss of energy / crew penalty, and the current rewards. This is exactly as STO is now, and would not change anything for anyone, and would be the default setting.

Hard: Slightly increased spawn sizes, similar to having a 2nd person in your team but playing the map solo. There would be a much harsher energy and crew loss penalty for dying, but slightly increased rewards due to the increase of ships / ground mobs, and a slightly higher % chance to find a rarer item.

Harder: Greatly increased spawn sizes, similar to having 3 additional people in your team, with greater chances for rarer loot, greater chances for loot overall due to increased spawn size, and a significantly increased death penalty: Mission restart (kicked to sector space), complete crew loss with a crew regeneration debuff for a few minutes, and a minor energy credit and Starfleet merit cost.

Hardest: Largest spawn sizes (larger than if in a full team), much greater chance at finding rares: However, there's pretty severe death penalty. Respawn at Sol Starbase, harsh Starfleet merit cost and energy credit cost (upwards of 25% of all existing credits), and a chance to lose an existing piece of ship or ground equipment.

Hardcore: Yeah. Character deletion. Nobody will play this.

Oh, one thing that is an absolute must: NO way to change the difficulty slider on-the-fly. Once you set it in Sol Starbase, you can only change it in Sol Starbase.

Kind of kills two birds with one stone.... nobody has to change the game unless they want to, and those that do get better rewards for the increased difficulty, but also harsher penalties.

Ideas, suggestions, feedback?
Good suggestions. Your ideas do not force an unwanted death penalty on people who do not want it. Players can choose what type of death penalty they want.

One thing though, the vast majority of the vocal players wanting a harsh death penalty are not going to be interested unless its forced on others. Their motive is clearly griefing related.

Exhibit A:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threather
Bad idea is bad . . . there are so many better ways to work in a death penalty and the feeling of risk at the same time . . .
Lt. Commander
# 32
02-24-2010, 12:40 PM
City of Heroes, a Cryptic game, has something very similar to this. All the doom and gloom from other posters didn't happen.
Lt. Commander
# 33
02-24-2010, 12:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryokan View Post
City of Heroes, a Cryptic game, has something very similar to this.
And I hated it. If you had a bum string of defeats you would go so deep into XP debt all you would be doing for a good long time is working off that debt. All that kind of system needs is an interest rate and it would be just like real life for many.... Running to stand still. I hate that kind of game play.
Lt. Commander
# 34
02-24-2010, 03:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayenn
And I hated it. If you had a bum string of defeats you would go so deep into XP debt all you would be doing for a good long time is working off that debt. All that kind of system needs is an interest rate and it would be just like real life for many.... Running to stand still. I hate that kind of game play.
Right....there was indeed a difficulty slider in City of Heroes (well, more like individual settings that could be adjusted, but similar concept).

However, Star Trek Online does NOT have experience debt, so there's really no downside to this system. There's only an increased reward for increased risk, all of which would be purely optional.

I think that, personally, I'd probably play on Hard or Harder, but nothing more than that. I know a lot of people would opt to keep it the same.
Lt. Commander
# 35
02-24-2010, 04:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scay
Complaint.

This wont work, cause you cant mix people playing at different difficulties in one instance, hence Cryptic would need a way to divide the population.
While this would be a minor hitch I don't think you'd have that many people who play in hardcore mode, attempting to even group with those on lower difficulties. From the responses for and against Dp's in general I would imagine those who play on 'Normal' would tend to fly with others who play on 'Normal' while the opposite would also be true.

Quote:
Also, this system creates a difference in equipment state, so that casual players would be victims in PvP as they cant compete with people playing on hard mode.
I does create a difference but not one that couldn't be completed by Competent casual players. Of course those who have a 3 second reaction time, vision issues, or any other sort of disability in that area are going to fall behind. But the only way to truly stop that is to just hand out all loot to people when they hit Admiral.

There will always be a gear disparity between casuals and hardcores if anything in said game takes longer than an hour or requires any kind of team composition and competence. This is sometimes due to simple time issues, sometimes to technical issues, it is also sometimes due to the actual player (as much as people like to ignore that last one). The ONLY way to eliminate that disparity forever is to simply hand out Best In Slot items to EVERY person upon hitting the level cap.

Just because you play casually doesn't mean you have to suck. Just because you play hardcore also doesn't mean you're awsome. It's nothing more than a difference of available time, and effort on the part of the player.