Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > Feature Episodes, Events and PvE Content
Login

Lt. Commander
Im sure many would not agree but i keep trying to come up with something that would fix away team missions.. make them less boring and more fun.

The only thing i can think of is retooling away missions as FPS. This doesn’t have to be a uber leet FPS with headshots and the like. If any of you played Planet Side. thats what i had in mind.

It would add some excitement to away missions and not take a twitch king to to be successful.

Or heck even make it 3rd person shooter such as Max Payne... just do something please i beg you.

Oh and start by removing the scan one item.. now go scan 5 more of the same missions. Seriously if you need to use filler missions like that just have us beam down.. scan the one thing and return to the ship. Having us walk around to scan 5 more does nto add to difficulty or fun, it only adds to annoyance.
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-24-2010, 03:55 PM
Ground combat just needs to be completely revamped. Personally, I'd like to see something more like Mass Effect (or what TOR is doing - something I'll be playing when it's released).
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-24-2010, 05:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by watmo View Post
Im sure many would not agree but i keep trying to come up with something that would fix away team missions.. make them less boring and more fun.

The only thing i can think of is retooling away missions as FPS. This doesn’t have to be a uber leet FPS with headshots and the like. If any of you played Planet Side. thats what i had in mind.

It would add some excitement to away missions and not take a twitch king to to be successful.

Or heck even make it 3rd person shooter such as Max Payne... just do something please i beg you.

Oh and start by removing the scan one item.. now go scan 5 more of the same missions. Seriously if you need to use filler missions like that just have us beam down.. scan the one thing and return to the ship. Having us walk around to scan 5 more does nto add to difficulty or fun, it only adds to annoyance.
No thanks. I am not interested in playing an FPS, especially if in a PVP situtation. FPS combat all boils down to who keeps moving the most and who gets lucky. I find nothing more ridiculous and unrealistic than people charging out into an open area under heavy fire and winning simply because they jumped around a lot. Add in lag and other factors, and no thanks to the FPS suggestion. Besides, every early SWG vet is likely twiching over the idea of turning ground combat into an FPS game because of the NGE.

As far as scan missions go, they simply need to add variety. Make it so you have to avoid locals to honor the prime directive while you locate your objectives. Make it so you have to scan from multiple points to zero in on your objective rather than beaming down on the first one. Make it so that you have to find spots where interference is not blocking your scan, and so forth. But beam down to scan one item they zone you in next to and beam back up? That, I would find boring. No thanks.

Besides, bear in mind that there are a lot of people who would like to see more diplomatic and other non-combat missions. Much of the attempted justification (like referring to the mission at that one bar as murdering innocent bar patrons) is way over the top, but the underlying request is perfectly valid. Star Trek is more than just pure combat.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-24-2010, 09:18 PM
Im in favor of fps over what is in place atm. I have not played planetside but i thought the ground combat in tabula rasa was pretty fun and enjoyable. I usually skip ground missions altogether when doing exploration missions now because they are just plain not fun at all for me. What was ok for a little while was using a bat'leth and doing combos but bottomline imo ground combat needs to be retooled.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-24-2010, 09:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voxin View Post
No thanks. I am not interested in playing an FPS, especially if in a PVP situtation. FPS combat all boils down to who keeps moving the most and who gets lucky. I find nothing more ridiculous and unrealistic than people charging out into an open area under heavy fire and winning simply because they jumped around a lot. Add in lag and other factors, and no thanks to the FPS suggestion. Besides, every early SWG vet is likely twiching over the idea of turning ground combat into an FPS game because of the NGE.

As far as scan missions go, they simply need to add variety. Make it so you have to avoid locals to honor the prime directive while you locate your objectives. Make it so you have to scan from multiple points to zero in on your objective rather than beaming down on the first one. Make it so that you have to find spots where interference is not blocking your scan, and so forth. But beam down to scan one item they zone you in next to and beam back up? That, I would find boring. No thanks.

Besides, bear in mind that there are a lot of people who would like to see more diplomatic and other non-combat missions. Much of the attempted justification (like referring to the mission at that one bar as murdering innocent bar patrons) is way over the top, but the underlying request is perfectly valid. Star Trek is more than just pure combat.
/Agree , I never played Pre-NGE in SWG but the PVP does suck, thats why i left, after hitting lvl cap you had nothing to do
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-24-2010, 10:09 PM
Making this into an FPS style game would ROCK.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-24-2010, 11:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnknownXV View Post
Making this into an FPS style game would ROCK.
Perhaps you mean it would suck rocks, or rather huge granite boulders...
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-24-2010, 11:25 PM
They don't even have to make it an FPS, they just need to tweak some of the mechanics in the existing system -- most notably, weapon cooldown. Champions Online is a great example of this; it's basically the same overall interface, but combat is fast-paced and fun.
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-25-2010, 01:57 AM
Take off your personal shield jackass.

It's a much better game.

Or don't.

Just stop complaining.

(I would like to apologize if this solution is not applicable. I have had enough with complaints about game play)

I have removed my personal shields and lived to tell about it.

Listen to me.
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-25-2010, 02:25 AM
I think the ground combat is fine. There's an issue with BO pathing and some genesis work with filling cargo holds quite haphazardly, and the use of bright white tilesets way too much. But I find ground combat enjoyable.