Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > Feature Episodes, Events and PvE Content
Login

Lt. Commander
# 11
02-25-2010, 02:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikapuff View Post
I think the ground combat is fine. There's an issue with BO pathing and some genesis work with filling cargo holds quite haphazardly, and the use of bright white tilesets way too much. But I find ground combat enjoyable.
i agree.

I hear a lot people saying ground combat is dull. I am not feeling them.

I think what you have is a lot of FPS players from Halo and Mass Effect and they are wanting exciting game play or strategic gameplay.

Screw that.

I just want to stand in the line of fire and survive. No matter what happens.

This game is perfect the way it is.

This one poster suggested we remove our personal shields.

I say poppycock. You can take my personal shield when you pry it from my cold dead corpse. But since we never die in ground combat in this game I guess that will never happen.

But as soon as it does... my personal shield is yours.
Lt. Commander
# 12
02-25-2010, 07:08 AM
FPS needs to be an option then that I can turn off. I dislike FPS's and prefer the over-the-shoulder 3rd person view.
Lt. Commander
# 13
02-25-2010, 07:36 AM
Ground combat's fatal flaw was to have any relation to wow. The click click fest, the enemies that are all mentally retarded bullet rag AIs. The locking you into one target at a time... It's god-awful game play that gets copied in so many mmos because "that's how it's done in wow so it must be the best choice".

To fix this game you'd need more enemies, less health, smarter ai, and free targeting. Either in first person or third. The mouse would have to be linked to the viewing/aiming and the movement changed to traditional WASD controls (with strafing). The only issue with this is how to retain the usage of the hotbar abilities. Buttons 1-0 could obviously work for activating stuff but you'd need to assign another cluster of buttons to finish it off.
Lt. Commander
# 14
02-25-2010, 08:16 AM
If they're going to keep ground combat as is (as a portion of you seem to want it), then at least let us know somehow in advance if missions are going to be ground-based so we can avoid them altogether for those of us who can't stand this system.

I find ground combat missions extraordinarily boring, and it's always a let-down to me to spend 5-10 minutes doing epic space battles in a storyline mission only to be rewarded with a "Beam down for half an hour now and kill the same crap over and over again." Any of the excitement from space combat I had bleeds out just from seeing the new mission objectives, and I'm hesitant to even do storyline missions anymore because of the frequency of this kind of scenario.
Lt. Commander
# 15
02-25-2010, 10:57 AM
Comparing ground combat to other standard ground combat mmo's (yes WoW, but also Tabula Risa, WAR, or any other, take your pick) and I think you'll come to a similar conclusion as I have.

Ground combat in STO (for the most part) is a very linear Point A to Point B kill everything in the way scenerio. There is very little chance for variation based on terrain effects, adds of mobs, or other similar features found in other games.
Lt. Commander
# 16
02-25-2010, 12:19 PM
Actually the terrain is really nicely done in this game they have hills tree things boxes in bases and lots of stuff to take cover behind. It would be a lot of fun to play on the ground maps with an fps setup. Sadly itís not what we have. All I can figure is that what was planned for when they made the maps is very different for what it came out looking like. Half the maps are destructive as hell to game play when you take the pathing into account. I think Iíve only been on 1 or 2 maps that didnít take me having to go back though doors or walk some bo though something because they get stuck.

I donít know how many times Iíve said this but all the options for a soft fps like tabula rasa had minus the cover system is in champions. The game supports quick mouse targeting and you can bind your fire primary and secondary to your mouse.

To all the guys that say they donít want an fps because itís hard to target a moving mob or person. Itís not that bad you can setup champions to let you mouse over who you want to shoot and the target will stay stuck on them for a while even if you arenít facing them for a bit. It all depends on how you set it up.

so hereís a video Iíve posts Iíd say like 10 times now that illustrate some of what you can do with champions and can be done here if they devs would just put the options in. yes the video is melee but its works just as well if not better with a munitions character (a guy with guns). Champions also has an option that lets you use melee abilities whether youíre targeting the right guy. Like an old style hack and slash if you hit his hit box with your swing heís taking damage. Its already kinda does that with some attack like the spin kick and some of the bat-sword stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1Oe3KezBUU

Smarter aiís would be great so would faster refire rates on the guns. Basically the pacing if off on top of the control problems. It would be nice to see an option for passing change like the way you have harder and easier on city of heroes. 1 is wow style close to a turn based game what we have now. 2 is paced closer to an fps faster refire rate smarter mobs that look for cover and dart in and out of it and everything dies quicker including you if youíre not careful.
Lt. Commander
# 17
02-26-2010, 02:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roach View Post
FPS needs to be an option then that I can turn off. I dislike FPS's and prefer the over-the-shoulder 3rd person view.
I'm with you Roach. I strongly dislike FPS. 3rd person over the shoulder is okay. Personally I like the current view perspective, although I agree ground combat needs to be improved.
Lt. Commander
# 18
02-26-2010, 03:22 AM
They need to do something about ground combat.
I try to avoid most PVE unless the rewards are really good to justify me doing it, because to me it just gets Tedious running around- stop - press 1 , 2, 3 ,4, rinse repeat
I think it just takes to long to kill everyone and its all repetitive, scan here shoot some more. (Oh no more enemy in the way, we can't go round and miss them, we have to slaughter them to scan a crate. This is meant to be starfleet).
And why does pretty much every mission require ground combat.
Lt. Commander
It really is that easy.

It's like they made a kick ass game and then some jerk came along and said hey lets give them shields on the ground like they have in space.

Somebody tell that guy he is fired. I'll wait.

There are two different kinds of combat and both are amazing as long as you let us take off our personal shields.

I just wish this game would allow us to take off our personal shields.

Maybe there will be a patch.
Lt. Commander
# 20
02-26-2010, 04:41 AM
I would like to see an option to turn on an over the shoulder chase cam type combat that mirrors Mass Effect. This would need to be hidden behind the hardest difficulty setting in the upcoming difficulty slider the devs talked about.

This way it has no impact on normal gameplay but those who wished to dabble could do so at their peril.

Risk Vs Reward