Lt. Commander
# 31
02-25-2010, 07:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Punkwasher View Post
Doesn't really matter if WOW has more or better lore than Lord of the Rings, the fact remains LOTR was there first and therefore, ******** is, at best, an homage to Tolkien. Orcs and Elves are pretty much lifted from Tolkien's story, Orcs never existed in any mythology before LOTR and Elves didn't take that shape or form either. In conventional mythology elves were more akin to fairies or sprites.

I'd rather see a StarCraft movie.
Why can't we have both?

I'm still waiting for a Yamato battleship to show up over Sillithus and ask the Cenarian Circle if they need any help with their Zerg problem.
And Draenie, spacefaring mystical warriors who are masters of crystal technology? *cough Protoss cough*
Titans? A race responsible for the creation of most other races, who build architecture of giant stature and rarely interact with their creations... *cough Xel'naga cough*

Also, ******** orcs are hardly a homage to Tolkien, about the only things they have in common with Tolkien orcs are their name and the fact that they're violent. ******** Orcs are actually based on Warhammer Orcs(and Orks), who did take some inspiration from Tolkien, but again, are very, very different.
Lt. Commander
# 32
02-25-2010, 08:08 AM
I don't think the Orcs are THAT much different. The orcs in Shadowrun are even more different than both Warhammer and ******** orcs, that doesn't mean they're any less uplifted from Tolkien. I'm just a little tired of fantasy games that always follow this orcs, elves, human medieval fantasy. Not that that is uncool, it's just not uncommon anymore.

But yeah, now that you point that out, StarCraft and ******** do seem to have a similar story. Maybe those guys at Blizzard aren't as creative as we thought...

Also, the good human prince from ******** 3 turns into what, the evil undead prince or so... that's totally Kerrigan.
Lt. Commander
# 33
02-25-2010, 10:25 AM
Warhammer Orcs were based off Lord of the Rings orcs :p anyway ******** was acutally offered to Games Workshop as a storyline/ spin off game but they rejected so the writer went elsewhere and blizzard picked it up.
Lt. Commander
# 34
02-25-2010, 10:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Danar
Warhammer Orcs were based off Lord of the Rings orcs :p anyway ******** was acutally offered to Games Workshop as a storyline/ spin off game but they rejected so the writer went elsewhere and blizzard picked it up.
Another example of sound business practices...
Lt. Commander
# 35
02-25-2010, 11:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bheduwa
Another example of sound business practices...
Worked for them twice, Starcraft was the exact same thing for Warhammer 40K. "Hey guys, we've been working on this awesome 40K game, can we have a licence for it?" "Hmm... no." "Oh... uh, so now what? Starhammer? No, Star Craft!"
Lt. Commander
# 36
02-25-2010, 12:20 PM
I love to see a movie adapted form this ******** book:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warcraf...d_of_the_Clans

My fav ******** Book. Very cool story.