Lt. Commander
Right now I have only myself and cryptic to blame. I foolishly brought a life sub and now regret it. I paid about £180 for the life sub before the game went live expecting the rest of the game to be released at launch, alas the rest of the game that was released at launch was nothing useful to keep me interested. I have so far paid £180 for about 2 weeks worth of game playing and what a boring 2 weeks it has been. I now find myself at lvl 45 and sitting in zone chat looking for ppl in need of help and that is not as fun as I hoped cus there seems to be a number of others doing the same thing that by the time I reply 5 others have replied to the call to help someone too.

It is going to be natural to compare games to each other and the most frequently compared game is going to be wow, I have played it since beta and recognise its flaws as well as its greatness. It is no better in terms of repetitiveness then STO, its quests are a lot like STO, collect 5 of this, kill 10 of that, talk to 5 ppl and deliver a msg to each of them. The difference is the way they have done it, for starters I think what the major difference between a wow quest and a STO quest is that 1 is always instanced where as the other gives u a choice to instance if u wish but its standard missions are open world, this gives the quest that extra something I cant put a good word to that makes me have more fun doing wow quests then STO quests. STO quests just feel too compartmentalised and to personal or impersonal depending on how u look at it.

To personal because an instance is made primarily just for u each time u do anything out side a sector block and all a sector block is, is a glorified chat system while u fly to where u want to get to. Inside that personal instance makes me feel like I am playing a single player game and worst of all a single player game set to super easy mode, even if it were to some how all go wrong the worst that will happen is I magically appear a few secs later ready to fight again, there is no challenge in this. At least in wow unless u chose to do the quest inside a instanced dungeon u were always playing in an open world that made u feel apart of something larger because of this the difficulty lvl had to be of a good standard to provide a challenge to a lvl 10-15 as all can access it. And if u decided to go and do an instanced dungeon u know the difficulty lvl would dramatically raise so much so that u had to take a group of ppl in there with u to achieve glory.

Grouping with others to do something hard is the part I miss the most in STO, there is so very little to do with others in STO, because the missions are so easy u donít need to bring 4 others with u to do something hard and challenging because there is very few things that are hard and challenging in the game. More over the vital element I find lacking in relation to grouping with others is the self important aspect of the individual player, for me playing with a group of others means u should all be able to contribute something to the team and all be vital to the missions success, but the game is flawed twice in this regards the first is yet again how easy the missions are that Iíve played some missions with a AI ally and had it complete most the mission on its own while I went and got a drink, there was no vital role for me to play at all.
Secondly I have no vital role to play when playing with others, the increases ur skill points give to u and ur bo as well as the abilities u and ur bo have are a lot of the time incidental to the fights u have with the enemy. I have played wow and was a holy priest (Healer) and it was my fav role but I find that role usurp by lack of death penalty, there is no challenge or victory for me because it donít matter if someone dies cus there is no death penalty and they will be back in a few secs. Additionally I find that there is no need for coordination or planning to bring down a tough enemy, its just a matter of all fire on the ship and wait for it to be destroyed. Iím not saying I want it to be like wow where u figure out what the AI script does then devise a strategy u need to get 40/25 others to follow to the point it is nothing more then scripted choreography with flash heals and arcane missiles. But STO needs to have a more diverse dynamic then just fire all weapons and abilities each and every time. I guess what Iím upset about is there is no new ideas being tried to break the MMO mold and make it better, its just the same old standard tricks all MMOís use. The problem is where a wow trick is a sophisticated one using mirrors, slight of hand, psychology etc, STOís are no better then a dad doing the got ur nose tick on a 3 year old.

The instances are to impersonal because once u have finished ur quest u exit the missions instance and its like what u just did never happened and there was no reason for it. Again I am aware in wow that once u have killed 5 shaman trolls they just respawn and its like u never did it, but at least for a short time u were doing the quest it made an impact on the world, that area was safer for all others because there was less shamans around and anyone coming into that map area could see u fighting the good fight and possibly affect how they approached there mission or business in there area. It also all felt more fluid and natural to have an open world environment, instead of trying to hide all the players away into there own little corner they bring them more together in an open world, which is surely what an mmo is for?

When the mission is instanced every time it gives me the feeling like Iíve already failed no matter what the outcome is, I could have logged off the game for 15 mins come back and be no better off then 15 mins ago whether I did the mission or not. All I would have is perhaps 5 more tokens or 75 more badges which provide me with nothing truly useful in my goal of having some fun in the game. The badges should be a reward for doing something grandiose, hard and challenging and above all fun, ideally only possible through doing them with others, because with out the need to play with others whatís the point in playing an Massively multiplayer online game when u spend most ur time in single player mode, the great strength of an mmo is playing with others, but this the game automatically whisks everyone away from each other, it donít bring them together and in the limited way it does it does not provide a function other then perhaps to do the mission quicker, which should not be its main point all.

The rewards should also offer more to ur game play then just more powerful weapons, how about extra console slots for ur bo, maybe neutral ones so u can actually do what all the promotional adverts I saw said which was the ability to customize, the adverts made it seem like u could do anything if u could think of it, sadly I fell for the oldest tricks and it was all flash and no substance, I can do wonders with my chars facial features and cloths but I cant have the bridge officers I want with the powers I want at the bridge officer consoles I want tho. And that is just the tip of the iceberg in regards to my problems with the promise of full customization.

Yes just about all mmoís have to have some sort of repetitiveness in them because it is not possible to write, unique, interesting, like nothing u have done before, missions countless times and adventures into a game and randomly generating them will never work. What will make the difference is how the game goes about this repetitiveness. Many things in life we repeat many times a day, some for fun some for necessity, off the top of my head the best I can come up with is food. I have no idea how u had ur dinner when ur were younger but for me my mum would usually make 1 of a set number of dinners she had in her repertoire. Over the course of a couple of weeks we would go through them and then start over, never in a set pattern tho, Friday was not casserole day every Friday but it often ended up on that day for some reason, but I digressÖ
When she would repeat the meals I did not like, like liver and bacon for example, I would complain that we had it last week and we always seem to have it. When it was burgers and chips I would complain that we never seem to have this often. In reality I can now look back and realise the truth that we had them more or less the same, the difference was how much I liked them changed the perception of how often I thought we had them. What I did not like I wanted less of and so I thought it was what we had the most of, what I loved I wanted more of so never thought we got enough of it.

But if we were to now bring this somewhat messily back to a relation to the game, when u look at it, wow and STO or just about all the other mmoís, are all frequently repeating events and quests The difference that makes them something we hate to do and something we love to do is in the case of food is how they tasted. Likewise for a game its how the repetitiveness is presented and played. For some they will love the liver and bacon and for others they will love the burgers and chips. The problem I find myself in atm is that I have stopped playing wow because I have done it to death and STO offers nothing more then wow does and for me is massively inferior in taste atm. What I really wanted is pizza which I love more then burgers and chips and liver and bacon, but my mum couldnít make a good pizza so we never had it for a dinner. I brought STO hopping for a pizza, I got liver and bacon tho and the liver and bacon was the most expensive I have ever had, £180!

The problem I now have is I find all MMOís the same repetitive crap that is the cornerstone of MMOís and how they make there money. Wow at least for me is the best of them all in how I like to play and after so many years of playing it, it to is now no better then the others, in other words it is the best of the crap that is MMOís.
STO looked to offer so much in what was said it was going to do but when the time came, offered up liver and bacon. And soon I have Supreme commander 2 coming out as well as hopefully Starcraft 2, I just look at the £180 and think ĎI could have brought a SSD for that!í
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-26-2010, 01:44 AM
Text limit exceeded on first post. Ramblings continuedÖ.

Iím not going to say something as blunt as: ďThis game suck Iím leaving, so long and bye byeĒ. Cus it donít suck, it is just not what I need to keep playing it on a constant basis. I will no doubt log on from time to time to see whatís happening if only out of sheer curiosity and boredom, but Iím certainly saying bye bye to what I was hoping to be able to do which is play the game frequently for prolonged periods of time and get my moneys worth, alas the game play and mechanics currently offer nothing for me to do this, hopefully they might in 5 months or so. This is the only benefit of the Lifesub, but I fear by the time the game is something I can sink my teeth into, something will have come along and captivated my time and my money will have been a waste, we shall see tho. Like I said at the top, in part I have only my self to blame, experience should have told me not to take the Lifesub of a game I had yet to see all of, but for a very short while (While I was getting out my credit card) the bright lights and dramatised shiny word adverts distracted me long enough, my hats off to cryptics marketing department. Alas writing this post was more fun then the last 2 weeks of playing the game was.

For those that are currently loving the game, I wish u all the best and hope above all else u have the fun u should be getting when playing a game. Iím not writing this to say ur all idiots for playing this game cus it sucks or anything like that, it donít suck its just not what I was hoping for and not what I paid for, I have no other recourse after spending my money on this game then to make a forum post with my thoughts and ramblings which I would like to think my £180 gives me justification to do and if by chance a dev reads this and takes even 1% of what I said on board it will have been worth it. For those that are loving the game and are no doubt already writing there flaming reply in there head all I say to u is I truly am pleased that u have passion enough in u to defend what u believe to be a great game and I hope u continue to have that passion for a long time.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-26-2010, 01:46 AM
A post should be like a miniskirt:
Long enough to cover what is important.
Short enough to retain interest

just my thought.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-26-2010, 01:52 AM
Okay, on behalf of anyone who just burned their eyes on this wall of text, I offer you a challenge:

Sum it all up in five sentences and end it at that.

If you can't do that for us, I don't see anyone answering your concerns at all. This is a forum for an MMO: reading this post is something we all do with our spare time and NOT in place of playing/making the game.

If this is a farewell post, then you need to learn a lesson: if your sentiments are longer than 2000 words, no one will bother to read it. You may have well not posted at all.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-26-2010, 01:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler
If this is a farewell post, then you need to learn a lesson: if your sentiments are longer than 2000 words, no one will bother to read it. You may have well not posted at all.
It has been my observation that generally speaking ppl donít make posts like this for everyone else, they make it for themselves to get off the chest what they feel is important for them to say.

It has usually been my experience that the less u write the more open to interpretation ur words were. I had a lot to say, if u donít have the time to read it fair enough. Thanks for the feedback, I shall take on board if I ever need to write another post like this again.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-26-2010, 02:01 AM
Sounds like you're right -- this doesn't appear to be the game for you and maybe not ready to move on from WoW yet (no insult intended there). No harm in that. Thanks for not ranting, it's nice to see reasonable criticism, even if it is a bit lengthy.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-26-2010, 02:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drelux
It has been my observation that generally speaking ppl donít make posts like this for everyone else, they make it for themselves to get off the chest what they feel is important for them to say.

It has usually been my experience that the less u write the more open to interpretation ur words were. I had a lot to say, if u donít have the time to read it fair enough. Thanks for the feedback, I shall take on board if I ever need to write another post like this again.
I understand. I remember my frustration when I was upset with Warhammer's implementations, and made the same response myself, only to get three replies. All of them said "tl;dr" and five minutes later the post I spent 120 minutes writing was deleted by a mod with no explanation.

You can rant, and I don't mind reading them, but if it takes more than one post to write, you may want to either divide up your post into different subjects (end game: 600 words, instancing: 520 words, etc., all separate posts), or trim it down and leave some things for replies... especially with critcism of the game, there'll be plenty of opportunity to expand on what you've said. Believe me.

Thanks for taking the criticism without malice, there's enough hate out there already, and I hope things work out better for you online, whether it's with STO or another game out there.