Lt. Commander
# 51
02-26-2010, 10:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cold_gin_time_again View Post
feel better ?

how does it feel to blatanly slap us all in the face, and intentionally try and sabotage the source of fun for thousands of players....and then gloat about it ?

congratulations.

You have stooped to a new low here........

I hope youre proud.

If you'd taken 30 seconds to actually read it, you'd notice that this is not the letter you think it is. You're also gloating over the fact that you havent bothered to read it before posting a critical reply.

The letter encourages people to try the game, and praises the game where it does well.
Lt. Commander
# 52
02-26-2010, 10:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loxanna
Problem is. If any serious trek fans read it, Soon as they see Cisco they will throw the mag into the bin in disgust!! I would email the mag and tell them of you faux pas before its too late.
If I was to do that, it would wreck the economy. All those sub-editors out of a job because people fix their own mistakes ;-)

(I saw your later post as well... Thanks for the feedback).
Lt. Commander
# 53
02-26-2010, 10:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenhawk View Post
Yes I seriously have better things to do that watch credits. Is it not normal to skip the bit with all the names and instead take a comfort break, or otherwise move my attention to another task until the next programme starts.
Benjamin Sisko
Lt. Commander
# 54
02-26-2010, 01:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by craxus View Post
Why is the PC game industry the only industry that we continually give a pass to for shoddy workmanship? I am asking this seriously.
Most of the time youre dealing with a tangible product. When it fails, it does so in a way that litigation can ensue. Blowing up batteries, choking small children, burn your lap, cut your fingers, or otherwise cause distress and frustration to the consumer. Its amaterial good that you can obviously see broken, exploded etc. Software is one of the only things you cant really take back due to a "failure". So the code was buggy, or the game wasnt as stated on the box. What are you going to do? Most stores have policy in place that restricts what you can do. How do you prove it wasnt what you expected, or wasnt what was advertised on the box? That it didnt deliver the level 40 content which it was stated to have at a trade show? Yeah good luck...

Your only recourse is to start litigation either against the store or the software vendor, or dont buy it to start with. Because its not much of a safety concern, its hard to say that; because the game didnt work like YOU expcted, it caused you some sort of physical or emotional pain. You dont have alot to stand on.

Until someone gets a large mass of litigation (that has legs to stand on) moving in the right direction, you wont see much change. Why? Because as consumers we still buy the crap. If we quit buying it they would either fix it and start releasing good , complete software / games or find another business venture like mail order thigh masters. The lawsuits would probably only deter a handful of companies and drive up the cost of the game. But it would be a great deterent.

Could you imagine the first game developer that had to buy back every copy of the game at retial price because it failed to meet advertised claims? I doubt it would ever get that far. The promise of patches and the like is probably enough to keep them out of deep hot water. However if played right they might be liable for some kind of false advertising claim. Those suits take years and years to proces though. Meanwuile the industry would just cruise along same ole same ole.

My guess is that entertainment, not being a need, would be given little weight in the courts or by any DA / State Att Gen, until a massive group of consumers steped up complaining.

In the end you just have to fight with your pocketbook by not buying / subscribing if you believe the product to be sub standard in the marketplace.

I think what you get from alot of trekkers is the moral play. Why put the company out of business? Give them a chance to prove they can deliver. give them the benefit of the doubt that this wasnt just a cash grab and they will come through on the rpomise to delver the Trek game that the community wants. If they fail to deliver in 6mo to a Year, then take action. Where as there is a large population who have been burned by several recent MMO launches and games that never made the cut, who are starting to get very vocal about the state of the genere and industry.

Either way its an interesting debate and will be more interesting to see what happens here. I think this is the largest IP to suffer from this paticular set of events. It also appears to me to be the most civil discusison about the subject of gamers getting the short end of the stick.
Lt. Commander
# 55
02-26-2010, 01:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by craxus View Post
Why is the PC game industry the only industry that we continually give a pass to for shoddy workmanship? I am asking this seriously.
Because its easier to patch. But that being said, look at the PS3 & 360, and the number of patches & fixes for games. The whole attitude of release and fix has spread everywhere.
Lt. Commander
# 56
02-26-2010, 01:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kithkarnon View Post
Because its easier to patch. But that being said, look at the PS3 & 360, and the number of patches & fixes for games. The whole attitude of release and fix has spread everywhere.
you could say it's becoming the norm.
Lt. Commander
# 57
02-26-2010, 01:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heliotrope View Post
To the OP -- Thanks for keeping it rational and I have to say that I can't find much to disagree with you about except that I think reviews of MMOs after less than a month are generally a snapshot in time more than they are a review.

OMG MY FANBOI PROGRAM JUST LOCKED UP FOR A MINUTE SOMEONE CALL A GOON TO STRAIGHTEN ME RIGHT OUT! :p
I totally disagree.

The game is out now. To play you had to buy a retail version of it now. All reviews are of the game in it's current state and not what it might be in 1 years time or longer.

There is no point in reviewing the game 1 month from now or 1 year from now. It is live and Cryptic have delivered it as such. It's totally fair and expected to be reviewed on the way it is now and not in the future.

In 1 years time they can do a follow-up review to see the progress (if any) and at that time give it a revised score.
Lt. Commander
# 58
02-26-2010, 01:45 PM
Aside from being incomplete in the fact that content was left out and not fully developed in other areas this launch was one of the smoothest I have seen. Lag was never a real issue and the login queues were gone in a matter of days there were a few bugs but nothing that was a game stopping issue. The servers went down only a few times for about a week and have now been running well. I would have to say they did a great job with launch, but I wish they would have waited and offered a game with the content I am sure they were forced to cut. It is too bad someone had to get in the way of the designer’s vision with marketing’s short sightedness.

Marketing should have spent more time worrying about what consumers want and a lot less time worrying about other MMOs being released soon. Coming out first is of no benefit if the product is incomplete all you do is upset people and then they end up going to the other product anyway. I guess you get the sell of the boxes and maybe a month or two, but that is a drop in the bucket. It is far better to let the other guy produce the incomplete product and take away his customers.

Of course I am just speculating on what happened but it seems like the most likely scenario.
Lt. Commander
# 59
02-26-2010, 02:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kithkarnon View Post
Its not just that, Making stuff for a PC is a warp-speed moving target - There's an unfathomable number of possible hardware and software combinations out there, and no software maker can reasonably be expected to test all of them - indeed theres new combinations created every day.

Console devs do not have an excuse in my view. Theres a small number of configurations and they have the ability to exhaustively test them all.
Lt. Commander
# 60
02-26-2010, 02:42 PM
Rather than writing an entire article, this sums up the game. Slow, a technical mess, repetetive, boring and no content. its a space and ground shooter with great customization. If id wanted customization id play the Sims.