Lt. Commander
# 1 How do the BOs gain xp?
02-26-2010, 02:39 PM
Noob question I'm sure, but how do I spread the xp evenly between my BOs? I've got old ones who barely have 3 levels in their Ensign boxes, and new ones who are at Lieutenant. What determines the xp distribution for the officers?
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-26-2010, 03:45 PM
The BO skill points actually pool together, and out of that pool you get to assign points where you want.

If you press 'K' and go to the skills tab of a BO, you can see their 'skill tree' (which determones what abilities they have access to) and assign points to each skill via the arrows underneath.

After assigning a certain number of skill points, you can promote the BO to the next level, (via the 'promote' button) giving them access to the next level skill. Note, however, that skill is only available if the BO is assigned a high enough level console slot on your ship - otherwise, you'll be limited to the skills at or below the console's level. This only applies to space abilities - ground abilities are always available if unlocked via promotion.

(You can see the consoles available and their level (marked via 'pips)' for each ship on Suricata's excellent chart, here: http://suricatasblog.files.wordpress...tierchart1.png)

Make sense? I'm sorry if I'm totally misunderstanding the question. The system's really confusing - and more importantly, it's not presented in a way that makes it abundantly clear.

-HD
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-26-2010, 04:58 PM
Absolutely perfect, thank you. That first sentence totally answers my question.

I thought the BOs had their own separate collection of xp points, and that some of them were gaining xp faster than others. I would level them up in the order they were presented on the status screen, and wonder why certain officers weren't getting any love. Now it makes complete sense. Thanks =].
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-26-2010, 05:36 PM
No problem, glad I could help.

-HD