Lt. Commander
Currently I see BOffs as simply abilities for my ship. They aren't anything more than that.

It would be nice if there was some form of interaction with them. Maybe you could hop onto your bridge and have a conversation with one or two of them. Maybe they will come up with propositions, complaints or whatever else.

What id like to see is a system similar to that of which Bioware use in their RPG games. They are well known for adding 'companions' in their games. Basically they are part of the team but they have a personality. Now I know creating loads of personalities and dialogue for your Boffs would be a lot of work but frankly I think it would be worth it.

Star Trek isn't just about Kirk flying his ship around blasting this and that. Its more involving than that. Some episodes barely include the captain. Im not suggesting that we control our BOffs but a bit of taste and personality to them would be great.

Cryptic could for example create 20 different personalities with unique dialogue and relating missions and whatnot for us to choose from when creating our BOffs. We could have conversations with them and they could have different stories to tell us or missions to give.

Currently I only see the BOffs as an ability im able to use which is a huge waste in my opinion.
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-26-2010, 07:24 PM
NO MORE FREAKING POP-UPS!!!!!!

They are my subordinates anyway. They need to follow my orders and keep their mouths shut.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-26-2010, 07:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkeh86 View Post
Currently I see BOffs as simply abilities for my ship. They aren't anything more than that.

It would be nice if there was some form of interaction with them. Maybe you could hop onto your bridge and have a conversation with one or two of them. Maybe they will come up with propositions, complaints or whatever else.

What id like to see is a system similar to that of which Bioware use in their RPG games. They are well known for adding 'companions' in their games. Basically they are part of the team but they have a personality. Now I know creating loads of personalities and dialogue for your Boffs would be a lot of work but frankly I think it would be worth it.

Star Trek isn't just about Kirk flying his ship around blasting this and that. Its more involving than that. Some episodes barely include the captain. Im not suggesting that we control our BOffs but a bit of taste and personality to them would be great.

Cryptic could for example create 20 different personalities with unique dialogue and relating missions and whatnot for us to choose from when creating our BOffs. We could have conversations with them and they could have different stories to tell us or missions to give.

Currently I only see the BOffs as an ability im able to use which is a huge waste in my opinion.
I second this idea, and I completely agree with his sentiment that bridge officers are like ability modifiers, nothing more.

In fact, really, shouldn't it be the equipment giving us special abilities, not the crew?

Think about it...does it really make sense.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-26-2010, 08:47 PM
I do think it would be cool. Feasible? No. It's one thing to put that much work into the side characters in a single-player game like Dragon Age, but in an MMO? We'd all pretty much end up with the same BOs then, I like the current system better, write their bios and then shut up and follow orders. It's already pretty cool that we have our own AI party members in an MMO.