Lt. Commander
If your ship is about to go boom, there should be the following options:

1. Emergency Saucer Seperation.
2. Evacuate all personel via escape pods.
3. Wait for a Starfleet rescue team.
4. Return to Starfleet Command and get reassigned to a new starship, but not be able to modify and or rename it until you acquire a certain amount of XP.

For those who prefer a stronger Death Penalty like Demon's Souls (PS3):

Now if your Starship is out numbered, and you think what would Kirk do.

1. Set your Starship to self destruct mixing the Matter / Anti-matter chamber ant take all your enemies with you.
2. Start a new character.
3. Play a minigame at Starfleet Academy called the Kobayashy Maru. If you can beat it, your charcter gains the same rank as your previous character that died in battle.
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-26-2010, 08:32 PM
I actually really like the escape pod idea. You could respawn with a minimal crew and then go collect them again.

I'm just not sure this game is really "equipped" for losing your ship though. The respawn doesn't really bother me, I like getting right back into the action, but I still understand the penalty idea (I studied game design, come on). The respawn offers nice gameflow, anything else would hamper it. Restarting the already quite repetitive missions doesn't sound like a good idea, either. Death should still be desirable to avoid. I like the saucer separation/escape pods ideas. Then respawn and collect them. That's a quite immersive penalty and it's not too frustrating.

Maybe I've been "quicksave spoiled", but I don't like losing progress because I died in a video game.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-26-2010, 08:36 PM
just replace the ship as an exact copy kinda like they did with the defiant in ds9
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-26-2010, 08:44 PM
If we're going to do it "Star Trek" style, then I want plot protection.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-26-2010, 08:46 PM
if we're going to do it in lore i want a time travel or dimensional rift of some sort scoop me up everytime i die and explain it was just an alternate reality.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-26-2010, 10:00 PM
Each and every one of those are horrible ideas.

Why on earth would I want to have to endure any of those things?

I know Cryptic says they're caving to the DP crowd, but I hope they have basic common sense and don't cripple their very fun game with pointless time sinks or penalties.