Lt. Commander
# 11
02-27-2010, 05:06 AM
Most lifetime subscribers did get a reward on top of it. If you didn't then you missed the boat. I think it's a bit early to be worried about this when there is so much to deal with already.
Lt. Commander
# 12
02-27-2010, 05:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krenn View Post
if a game is good, regardless of whether or not it's STO, shouldn't the playing of it be its own reward? it cryptic comes out with some kind of reward scheme, fine. if not, fine.
To me its the same as when banks reward new members but don't allow current and older members to also benefit from those rewards.

Of course playing it should be its own reward, but cryptic themselves should reward those people who have stayed with the game for a period of time because the mmo industry is a competitive industry and a reward scheme is now imo a necessary part if they wish to keep a strong player base.

Some players are item driven, especially trek fans who really want additional items that add to the universe. By giving them these items your rewarding them for being loyal, i see no problem with doing that.

I myself am a lifetime subscriber but I don't use the playable borg, i didn't get the lifetime subscription for the item, but there are those who do go out of their way to get said items (one of the reasons wow was so successful is making players try to get sets) by for example after three months you get a ambassador class ship a lot of people will go out of their way to make sure they are still playing for that long and so on.
Lt. Commander
# 13
02-27-2010, 05:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Danar
Other games have started to reward long term players, City of Heroes has been doing it for a while now and **** introduced their long term reward scheme shortly after it went live.

I know this isn't technically directly rewarding those who have played the game since launch, because those who join afterwards can still get the rewards if they stay longer, but thats a good thing.

It both rewards players who have been here for a while and also gives a further incentive for people who join the game later to continue player.

Its not my place to discuss what rewards could be given, but I think STO would benefit from this scheme.
the game isn't a month old and you're talking about veteran rewards?
Lt. Commander
# 14
02-27-2010, 05:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepidox View Post
the game isn't a month old and you're talking about veteran rewards?
I'm providing constructure feedback as to ways that may continue to keep the game appealing to players, its a simple enough system to include.

I've not reason to fear that the game is failing infact i'm quite looking forward to the future of it. Others however are worried and i'm just suggesting something that may make them a little more happier considering newer players are getting more free game time at a cheaper cost.
Lt. Commander
# 15
02-27-2010, 05:19 AM
Quote:
I'm providing constructure feedback as to ways that may continue to keep the game appealing to players, its a simple enough system to include.

I've not reason to fear that the game is failing infact i'm quite looking forward to the future of it. Others however are worried and i'm just suggesting something that may make them a little more happier considering newer players are getting more free game time at a cheaper cost.
I fail to see how that would make me happier about people paying $10 less than I did and getting all the same bonus items that I got this soon after launch. And this 90 days business is just ridiculous. Preordering doesn't even get me through to the first content update but newcomers get a discount AND 3 months... it's just way too soon and I feel more slighted by that than a veteran reward I'll never see can soothe.
Lt. Commander
# 16
02-27-2010, 05:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curs0r View Post
I fail to see how that would make me happier about people paying $10 less than I did and getting all the same bonus items that I got this soon after launch. And this 90 days business is just ridiculous. Preordering doesn't even get me through to the first content update but newcomers get a discount AND 3 months... it's just way too soon and I feel more slighted by that than a veteran reward I'll never see can soothe.
Oh well, it was just a suggestion. I was hoping it could cushion the blow but i guess its not extreme/direct enough to respond to peoples complaints.
Lt. Commander
# 17
02-27-2010, 05:27 AM
As someone who has been here since Closed Beta, I would be all for a reward of this nature.
Lt. Commander
# 18
02-27-2010, 05:44 AM
Quote:
To me its the same as when banks reward new members but don't allow current and older members to also benefit from those rewards.

Of course playing it should be its own reward, but cryptic themselves should reward those people who have stayed with the game for a period of time because the mmo industry is a competitive industry and a reward scheme is now imo a necessary part if they wish to keep a strong player base.

Some players are item driven, especially trek fans who really want additional items that add to the universe. By giving them these items your rewarding them for being loyal, i see no problem with doing that.

I myself am a lifetime subscriber but I don't use the playable borg, i didn't get the lifetime subscription for the item, but there are those who do go out of their way to get said items (one of the reasons wow was so successful is making players try to get sets) by for example after three months you get a ambassador class ship a lot of people will go out of their way to make sure they are still playing for that long and so on.
i'm not saying i'm against a reward. it's more why should rewards make that much of a difference?. soon you'll have ppl threatening to leave if they don't get that whatever. personally, i wouldn't mind cryptic coming out with a ToS era D7 battlesruiser to go along with the Constitution class ship, but if they don't, fine. i'll still be here destroying fedobears, and getting destroyed by them