Lt. Commander
# 1 Lack of 3 degree movement
02-28-2010, 12:36 PM
I am a avid flight simmer and I must tell you. The movement of the ships really leave a lot to be desired.
There is no true 3d movements...Ie.. you cannot even perform a simple loop.

This effects everything in a "space" enviroment. You cannot move really.
you can left, right, down, and up. But once you reach the damn limit of up or down.. that's it.
you will continue to go straight at that plane...

and the damn camera view also sucks. You cannot turn off , i guess it's called, dynamic view.
I just want one view. either first person or behind the ship.

... doesn't exist.. once you move the ship, your perspective DOESN"T CHANGE.

thank god i only got a trial key and didn't waste my money..
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-28-2010, 12:37 PM
This isn't a sim. It doesn't misrepresent itself as such either, so there's really not much to complain about.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-28-2010, 12:40 PM
I'm with the OP on this one...its space we should be able to do a simple loop!
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-28-2010, 12:41 PM
While I don't want this to be a sim, I would like to be able to fly straight up and down. First-person perspective in the form of a viewscreen on the bridge would be neat, although I don't think that's what the OP meant.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-28-2010, 12:44 PM
agreed

people will try and convince you that all movie and tv combat was always on a single plane, but WoK shows us that elevation is a part of it.

but yes, if we are offered an environment with 360 degrees of action on all axis we should have 360 degrees of movement on all axis, spiraling up or down to rendevous with another object is just weak.

part of the problem with cookie cutter development mechanics

and yeah, paralax view would rock too. but you cant fault cryptic for not having something as advanced as a 3D skybox, no that 4 year old Half life II stuff is too cutting edge
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-28-2010, 12:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by winterblink View Post
This isn't a sim. It doesn't misrepresent itself as such either, so there's really not much to complain about.
In space.. you have 6 degrees of movement.
Not in this game. Hence it's a show stopper for me.
How can you fight in the pararel only?
Makes no sense
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-28-2010, 12:53 PM
It's not a deal breaker for me (obviously) however, i did miss the fact that there are no dorsal or ventral shields in this game as there were in Bridge Commander. I guess 6 shield facings are too much they figured, but I miss them. Just another example of the 2D environment i suppose, and once more, didn't scare me off, would just have liked the most Trek'ish experience possible.

kp
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-28-2010, 12:54 PM
/signed for the ability to barrel roll and Immelmann.
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-28-2010, 02:29 PM
If you're looking for an MMO that does have realistic space, you're in for a long wait. EVE doesn't have this either. It makes it a little less obvious, but it still doesn't have true 3D.

It'd be nice to have, but I don't feel like it's a game-killer to not have it. Ironically enough, the same 'thinking in 2D' that got Khan into trouble is exactly why lots of players can't cope with true 3D. I could understand an MMO seeking to gain mass market appeal avoiding the UI & mental complexity of the true 6 degrees.
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-28-2010, 02:36 PM
Its three dimensions.