Go Back   Star Trek Online > Support > Gameplay Bug Reports
Login

Notices

Lt. Commander
Okay, so either I'm missing something stupidly obvious or Memory Alpha is really broken.
I have successfully unlocked Tier 2 contacts.
I wish to purchase the upgraded Plasma Beam Array Mk IV and Quantum Torpedo Mk IV.
I have done a lot of anomaly farming, so I have plenty of materials.

However, the vendor contact, Lt. Cmdr Anichent, refuses to show that I satisfy the base item requirement
For the torpedo, it's the Quantum Mine Launcher IV (btw, how does that make any sense? A mine launcher for a torp???). Given that this could be a mislabel issue, I went ahead and dropped my Quantum Torp IV from my ship into my inventory, but that did not change my qualification.
For the plasma beam, it's the like item in green quality.

I tried putting the items in the bank to no avail.
I tried logging off and logging back on to see if it was a UI bug and that did not alter anything.

I've logged bug report 714925 for this problem.

Has anyone else seen this? If so, is there a fix or workaround?
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-28-2010, 01:34 PM
Don't bother, the time you put into trying to get something better would better spent getting loot drops from combat, chances are you'll snag something better than what MA has to offer, or try the exchanges if you have the creds. The entire anomoly/Memory Alpha thing was a pretty easy opportunity to do something cool that Cryptic either failed to recognize or just plain hosed up, take your pick. Better yet, do exploration missions, most of the stores sell good stuff too. Just don't waste your time with Memory Alpha, you'll wind up chewing your keyboard out of frustration.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-28-2010, 02:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by uittom View Post
Don't bother, the time you put into trying to get something better would better spent getting loot drops from combat, chances are you'll snag something better than what MA has to offer...Just don't waste your time with Memory Alpha, you'll wind up chewing your keyboard out of frustration.
That thought has crossed my mind many times, to be honest. I hate crafting in general as it seems there isn't a game out there that implements it in a way that doesn't end with me chewing my keyboard to pieces. In STO, it appears to be more frustrating than otherwise. However, I wanted to give it a real shot before disregarding it altogether.

The problem with relying on loot drops is that I have absolutely terrible luck with it. Batteries all the freaking time! Out of a night of heavy play (4-5 hours), I'll have a 50/50 chance of scoring ONE usable item.

Using exploration for badges has the ironic problem of pushing your progression too far ahead of the content curve. I've been exploring pretty heavily just for the anomaly farming and I find that about 3 Explore Cluster turn-ins (i.e. 9 Explore Unknown System missions) grants me close to a level. Now doing the math, that usually means you come out with about 225 badge credits...and it's still not enough to buy ONE good component like an engine or deflector. It will get you 2 weapon systems, though. However, this comes at the cost of running storyline quests at -1, -2 or worse, depending on how much you choose to farm those missions. Hopefully this progression is fixed in later levels. Right now I can only speak for Lt. Cmdr.

The exchange option doesn't seem viable, either. Last I checked, items were running 5-digits in price. It's a bit of a joke, but I'll take another look to see if the market is stable now compared to when I first looked.

Maybe I'm expecting too much from the gear progression. At Lt.Cmdr 4, I was hoping to put in a good bit of effort farming exploration badges and anomalies to be able to hit Memory Alpha up for some serious upgrades. That way I can enjoy the remainder of Lt.Cmdr with great gear and go into Cmdr with all greens and blues.

As it is, I think the most viable path for gear upgrades is:
- Run Exploration 4 times (300 Exploration badges). This will allow me to purchase three green at-level (i.e. Mk IV for Lt. Cmdr) weapons or 1 green component with just shy of being able to buy 1 weapon system. Alternately, I could sit in PvP queues all day...*shudder*
- Rely on quest rewards, the occasional vendor and drops for the rest...

...and simply give up any notion that I could earn blue gear on my own outside of quest rewards.

Yet having said all of that, I still want this particular bug fixed, even if I never see Memory Alpha again. I want the blue items that I worked hard to earn.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-28-2010, 02:31 PM
the main problem I have is that the stuff you can make is so limited, at tier 3 for mk x stuff you can only make abotu 2 weapon types, and you can only do about half the weapons for those..
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-28-2010, 03:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moxie3000
Okay, so either I'm missing something stupidly obvious or Memory Alpha is really broken.
I have successfully unlocked Tier 2 contacts.
I wish to purchase the upgraded Plasma Beam Array Mk IV and Quantum Torpedo Mk IV.
I have done a lot of anomaly farming, so I have plenty of materials.

However, the vendor contact, Lt. Cmdr Anichent, refuses to show that I satisfy the base item requirement
For the torpedo, it's the Quantum Mine Launcher IV (btw, how does that make any sense? A mine launcher for a torp???). Given that this could be a mislabel issue, I went ahead and dropped my Quantum Torp IV from my ship into my inventory, but that did not change my qualification.
For the plasma beam, it's the like item in green quality.

I tried putting the items in the bank to no avail.
I tried logging off and logging back on to see if it was a UI bug and that did not alter anything.

I've logged bug report 714925 for this problem.

Has anyone else seen this? If so, is there a fix or workaround?
Just FYI, it isn't a mislabel issue. You use a "common" quality quantum mine launcher mk iv along with all your misc anomalous data to purchase the blue quantum torpedo launcher. As far as the plasma beam, you must have a "common" quality plasma beam array mk iv (not a beam bank). If you use anything other than common quality base items of the correct type, you cannot complete the purchase. All items must be in your local character inventory, not the bank or mail. I have been using the tier 2 tactical store all day with no problems.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-28-2010, 05:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by skew View Post
Just FYI, it isn't a mislabel issue. You use a "common" quality quantum mine launcher mk iv along with all your misc anomalous data to purchase the blue quantum torpedo launcher. As far as the plasma beam, you must have a "common" quality plasma beam array mk iv (not a beam bank). If you use anything other than common quality base items of the correct type, you cannot complete the purchase. All items must be in your local character inventory, not the bank or mail. I have been using the tier 2 tactical store all day with no problems.
Okay, I have the UNCOMMON (green) version of the items. So...where do I get the COMMON (white) quality item? I've searched high and low for the right vendor and haven't been able to find it.

And I could have sworn I've been able to craft up from the greens before...