Lt. Commander
# 21
02-28-2010, 10:48 PM
This "guide" only gives tips for the 5v5 arena matches. I find these the most boring type of PvP. The Cap & Hold and the Enemy Mine maps are much more interesting and challenging. I keep finding T3 Captains on both sides that don't know how to capture a point. The Enemy Mine maps are so empty these days that it will be hard for most players to learn how they work, and near impossible to develop and practice sound tactics.
Lt. Commander
# 22
03-01-2010, 09:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rastaban
This "guide" only gives tips for the 5v5 arena matches. I find these the most boring type of PvP. The Cap & Hold and the Enemy Mine maps are much more interesting and challenging. I keep finding T3 Captains on both sides that don't know how to capture a point. The Enemy Mine maps are so empty these days that it will be hard for most players to learn how they work, and near impossible to develop and practice sound tactics.
while alot of people find the current death match maps rather simple there's still what gets played most thus where one will expect the most newer players to play and thus compliant which the stated intention of the guide is to reduce the complainants about balance

otherwise yea i agree with you the enmy mine maps are the closets we have to a decent form of pvp but no one plays em so they don't count and that leaves us with cap and hold

cap and hold is significantly fed biased for the simple reason 2/4 kligon ships have no staying power in a fight and are bult around hit and run compared to 5/6 ships of the feds being able to take significant dmg in a fight before needing to run or blow up in t5 in the other teirs its 1/3 compared to 2/3 in t3-t4 and in t2 is worse 0/2 can engage in a sustained fight compared to 2/3 for the feds

simply put the way Klingon ships are built statistically the feds have to either get in late or do really badly to loose these games now does this happen yes but feds do have a significant advantage at holding a static objective due tot here greater staying power ina fight

which is why i left it out of my original guide do to its inherently biased nature and i was trying to write an unbiased guide
Lt. Commander
# 23
03-01-2010, 09:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rastaban
They also:

1) Pop a lot less.

2) Salvage is a fed advantage map due to having to drop cloak to cap.

3) Enemy Mine is a klink advantage map since you can stealth right past 90% of the NPC guards.

Not that I'm saying I dislike either of those maps, it's just that you'd likely have to have protips for each map individually, and each side's strategies would be different.