Lt. Commander
# 1 Any word on auto fire?
03-01-2010, 12:23 AM
I've been searching through the forums and found many requests to allow auto-fire on all weapons, however I have yet to find any official comment on the matter. Has anyone heard or read if cryptic plans to allow this?

Ever since I got multiple beam weapons on my cruiser I've come to hate the space combat. The very idea of no auto-fire also just seems so absurd in its own right. I keep picturing Picard sitting on the bridge..."Fire phasers!...Fire phasers!...Fire phasers!...Fire phasers!...Fire Torpedoes!...Fire phasers! etc. until finally he can't take it anymore and fires himself out the torpedo tube.
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-01-2010, 12:28 AM
Google keyboard macroing, or buy a keyboard with macro shortcuts, such as the Logitech G15 and G19 (all with looping/repeat goodness).
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-01-2010, 12:43 AM
Yeah I had to set up a macro for one of my characters in Warhammer online which had an equally stupid game mechanic that induced discomfort and sadness in my hand. I'd rather not have to go out of my way to set up a new auto hotkey macro running in the background or spend money on the gaming keyboard. Especially when the auto fire is already coded into the game, it just has the absurd limit.
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-01-2010, 12:49 AM
I don't know how hard the software-only side of macroing is, but mine looks like this (G15):
(Press) alt
(Press)space
(Release)space
(Release)alt
.750 sec delay

and separately I have an option to repeat it.

I agree that it does need to be addressed. As macroing it makes it hard to chat.
Lt. Commander
# 5
03-01-2010, 12:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ormatron
I've been searching through the forums and found many requests to allow auto-fire on all weapons, however I have yet to find any official comment on the matter. Has anyone heard or read if cryptic plans to allow this?

Ever since I got multiple beam weapons on my cruiser I've come to hate the space combat. The very idea of no auto-fire also just seems so absurd in its own right. I keep picturing Picard sitting on the bridge..."Fire phasers!...Fire phasers!...Fire phasers!...Fire phasers!...Fire Torpedoes!...Fire phasers! etc. until finally he can't take it anymore and fires himself out the torpedo tube.
It's officially coming. http://www.startrekonline.com/node/1182 (under game adjustments) there's also a post of Zinc floating around somewhere. Until then there's a bug we're allowed to use. If you right-click weapons one after the other very quickly in a laggy area you can get more than one on auto-fire. I got two per facing, some managed to get three.
Lt. Commander
# 6
03-01-2010, 01:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Tar
It's officially coming. http://www.startrekonline.com/node/1182 (under game adjustments) there's also a post of Zinc floating around somewhere. Until then there's a bug we're allowed to use. If you right-click weapons one after the other very quickly in a laggy area you can get more than one on auto-fire. I got two per facing, some managed to get three.
Run a few youtube vids in the background to get some more lag. I got four fore weapons on autofire at once, and I had enough time to eat a pizza between clicks.
Lt. Commander
# 7
03-01-2010, 01:47 PM
The post from zinc is here. I've also found that unplugging/turning off your network card, right clicking your weapons, and plugging back in/turing on the card lets you do one row at a time; you get disconnected but if you do it right the clicks go through. Been able to get all 4 forward/reverse going that way.
Lt. Commander
# 8
03-01-2010, 05:52 PM
I manually control all my forward weapons anyway (just downright stupid to fire automatically, especially if you're targetting the ship to destroy it), and just leave my after beam weapons on automatic. Now while i only have a t2 ship at the moment, only auto firing phasers and manually controlling warheads/mines works quite easily.