Lt. Commander
# 11
03-01-2010, 05:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarcoff View Post
Would be nice to be able to decide your own alert level and suffer the consequences accordingly.
Yes this ... damn 10char
Lt. Commander
# 12
03-01-2010, 05:06 PM
I remember watching "Q-Who" again recently, and I facepalmed when Riker is all "Don't raise shields! We don't want to look hostile." as the Borg Cube bears down on them.

And "Despite Guinan's advice to GTFO, we've decided to muck around in bat country."
Lt. Commander
# 13
03-01-2010, 05:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norry View Post
I can't seem to find a way to cut power to weapons and shields as a sign of good faith to new races etc.. Maybe that's why they all attack me and I have to atomize them? All they see is a ship with powered shields and weapons, what are they supposed to think?
I suppose I could unequip my shields and weapons, however if it's decided to attack me I can no longer "Raise shields" or "power up weapons" since once in combat I can't do anything with equipment.

Not very "Star Trek" if you don't have to "Raise shields". Just fly around with them on all the time.
When you warp in, your shields are down. They don't snap on until you fire, or are fired upon. You even hear the Computer say "Ship is under attack." When the combat is over, if your just flying around, the shields lower again after 30 seconds or so.
Lt. Commander
# 14
03-01-2010, 05:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomateno
When you warp in, your shields are down. They don't snap on until you fire, or are fired upon. You even hear the Computer say "Ship is under attack." When the combat is over, if your just flying around, the shields lower again after 30 seconds or so.
I still have power to my shields and see them raised, my weapons are charged and ready to fire at all times. As said, I'd like to see the game evolve to a state that such things impact the reaction out of other races, ship captains, etc..

Some races will see shields down as weakness and attack. Others would see it as a sign of respect and make peace. As of now, it's "Hello, we come in peace. (shoot to kill)". Yes, yes, yes... it's war time. We aren't playing the Terran Empire, however. As Federation we would (are supposed to?) still try and seek peace at every turn.
Lt. Commander
# 15
03-02-2010, 01:50 AM
Well... it doesn't really add anything from a diplomatic missions point of view, but one thing I do myself that's as close as i can think of to not running around on red alert at all times is that I'm basically always on full impulse as soon as i warp into a system. If you use the slider control, you can be in full impulse mode and still be traveling as slow as impulse 1.5 or so, and it'll drop your shields and phasers to below operational. Then, if I'm approaching a potentially hostile situation or i get attacked, turning off the full impulse is at least functionally the equivalent of "Red alert! Raise shields! Lock Phasers on target!"

Like I said, more of an RP thing than actual diplomacy-based content, but...
Lt. Commander
# 16
03-02-2010, 02:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norry View Post
I can't seem to find a way to cut power to weapons and shields as a sign of good faith to new races etc.. Maybe that's why they all attack me and I have to atomize them? All they see is a ship with powered shields and weapons, what are they supposed to think?
I suppose I could unequip my shields and weapons, however if it's decided to attack me I can no longer "Raise shields" or "power up weapons" since once in combat I can't do anything with equipment.

Not very "Star Trek" if you don't have to "Raise shields". Just fly around with them on all the time.
I fully support this and would like to see it become a feature +1

Even in war time you should have the option to stand down Red Alert, and remove all power from weapons and shields if you wish, or even go to Yellow Alert and just fly with shields up!

I would even go as far as saying you should have the option to cut all power to all systems, if you want to, maybe later they can tie it all in to some nicely scripted story missions, who knows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithie
Hey! Look! It's a giant... crystalline... thing!

Let's lower our weapons and shields, guys. We don't want to seem hosti... OH GOD IT'S RAPING OUR DEFLECTOR DISH!
Love it, made me LoL a lot. :p

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curs0r View Post
That's what being a Starfleet officer is really about. To remain unafraid and offer diplomacy even to an enemy.
Agreed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarcoff View Post
Would be nice to be able to decide your own alert level and suffer the consequences accordingly.
Agreed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomchance42 View Post
Well... it doesn't really add anything from a diplomatic missions point of view, but one thing I do myself that's as close as i can think of to not running around on red alert at all times is that I'm basically always on full impulse as soon as i warp into a system. If you use the slider control, you can be in full impulse mode and still be traveling as slow as impulse 1.5 or so, and it'll drop your shields and phasers to below operational. Then, if I'm approaching a potentially hostile situation or i get attacked, turning off the full impulse is at least functionally the equivalent of "Red alert! Raise shields! Lock Phasers on target!"

Like I said, more of an RP thing than actual diplomacy-based content, but...
"Captain Hikaru Sulu: In range?
Helmsman Lojur: Not yet sir.
Captain Hikaru Sulu: Come on, come on.
Helmsman Lojur: She'll fly apart!
Captain Hikaru Sulu: *Fly her apart then!*"
Lt. Commander
# 17
03-02-2010, 02:23 AM
Pointless thread is pointless.

On a shield and power note. No trek vessel even in war time would go around with shields on all the time. It would be a serious waste of power. More than likely they'd just raise shields when things look... suspicious.
Lt. Commander
# 18
03-02-2010, 02:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnarris View Post
We are the Federation, prepare to be obliterated, resistance is futile....
I think Dnarris meant...

Let's fight!
Prepare to board us at your leisure.
Or wait! Can we talk about it first?

Cannot wait until Cryptic adds more clicking for us, diplomatic content is going to be so exciting!
Lt. Commander
# 19
03-02-2010, 02:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mithie
Hey! Look! It's a giant... crystalline... thing!

Let's lower our weapons and shields, guys. We don't want to seem hosti... OH GOD IT'S RAPING OUR DEFLECTOR DISH!
Win!
Lt. Commander
# 20
03-02-2010, 03:07 AM
There's actually been quite a few developer posts saying that they hear us and want to implement a diplomacy system, the crappy thing is that this system might take six months to a year to finally get in the game. Oh well, until then we can just assume that the time it takes to get to the next enemy is spent hailing and arguing about who owns the planet ect.