Lt. Commander
# 1 Ground Combat Camera
03-01-2010, 02:40 PM
I'm not all that familiar with issues of using a keyboard to control action in ground combat so I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong or if the game is. My problem is that when I'm targeting a mob sometimes the key that moves me forward starts to move me in another direction. When this happens, all of my direction keys malfunction in the same way. This usually seems to happen if the mob changes position in the fight. The only way I've been able to correct it is to take my mouse, click left+right and move towards the mob. Once I do that I can usually use my key's for movement as usual for a short while and then it happens again.

Again, I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong or what. I have to say that the ground combat, and just missions in general, are almost frustrating to the point of ruining the game for me. Then I get back into my boat and I feel a lot better, lol. If anyone has any advice or can clear this up for me I would really appreciate it.
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-02-2010, 03:59 AM
This is a control mechanism used for strafing and is deliberate, although it is annoying since there seems to be little ryhme or reason to exactly what the enemy does, so they tend to charge at your heavily armed assualt team with mellee weapons making the controls go crazy.

I believe there is an option to change this however labeled something like "always face forward/target" or some such, just play with the options until you find it.

To explain the mechanics behind it:

after targeting something/someone the camera focuses on them and the controls will always be relative to there position, so left and right strafe instead of turn etc, to help keep the enemy under focus.
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-02-2010, 04:27 AM
I don't know if this was ever fixed, since avoiding it became second nature to me during beta, but I used to find that if my character turned to track a target, the controls got all messed up.

The problem was that the 'paper doll' that the server sees did not turn along with the avatar that we see on the screen; so the controls reflected a different orientation than the one displayed.

In other words, if your character turned through 180 degrees because its target had moved behind it, then the controls would be reversed; this could be avoided by using the right mouse button to readjust the camera, thus turning the 'paper doll' to face the same way as the on screen avatar.

Like I say, they might have fixed that; but it may help you.
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-02-2010, 04:34 AM
Thanks guys. I do believe I have the Camera set to always face the target but the server is down at the moment so I can't check. I certainly will when it's back up. This bit about the paper doll not tracking appropriately sounds exactly like the issue that I'm having. If so I suppose that means this has not been fixed. >_<

My problem with the mouse is that I've mapped the movement controls to the number pad (because that was a bit more comfortable to me) so in making things more comfortable I may have royally screwed up. I don't suppose there is a way to map the camera panning leff, right, up, or down to the arrow keys, is there?