Lt. Commander
# 31
03-03-2010, 07:26 AM
Yeah,we saw how unsolicited PM's to the dev worked out for everybody,right?

These forums are here for people to use, and we all agreed to it. When it starts being taken personally, instead of pointing fingers perhaps a bit of objectivity and self examination is in order.
Or just rage and get banned for 3 days if that fits into someone else's worldview better.
Lt. Commander
# 32
03-03-2010, 07:29 AM
Hmmm, I wonder if the devs would really single out a true concern from a general bash topic.

The mod would, but the devs?

...opens door and enters the think tank....
Lt. Commander
# 33
03-03-2010, 07:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamui View Post
To the OP, laudable attempt. But as DieScreams has pointed out, there will always be people who are so embittered for whatever reason that they can't just let people enjoy themselves in a game. They have to try as hard as they can to convince as many people as possible to leave. Whether it is because they think they are Crusaders of Justice trying to help the much MUCH dumber people save their money (because NO ONE who could possibly like something they don't has any brains whatsoever), or because they're like the creepy high school stalker kid who keeps badmouthing the prom queen all the way into his 40's because she laughed at him when he asked her out, they become obsessed with destroying the very object of their affections. The funny thing is, THEY'RE the ones who accuse others of being 'fanbois' when the reality is, THEY are the 'fanbois'. THEY are the ones who elevated a simple, stupid game, to nigh diety level. Who worshipped it's 'potential', who had such high expectations. And when those expectations weren't met? THEY'RE the ones who were so emotionally entwined with the game that they've gone on the warpath. "How...how DARE they betray MY trust!!! I gave them my hopes! My dreams! I DEPENDED on them to make this game GREAT! And they...they...SPURNED ME! HOW DAAAREEEE THEYYYYYYY!!! They can NOT do this to ME!!! I'll...I'll show them! They can't mess with my heart! I'll get them for this! Just you see! I"LL GET THEM!!!!!" followed by post after post about how the game sucks, the game company sucks, the fans suck, etc etc.
Projection is a defense mechanism that involves taking our own unacceptable qualities or feelings and ascribing them to other people. Project much?
Lt. Commander
# 34
03-03-2010, 07:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
Sorry OP, but thats not necessarily true. While I do agree that someone who doesnt like the game shouldnt tell someone who does that they are wrong and that they shouldnt play, people who dont like the game SHOULD post their concerns on the forums. This serves two purposes: first, it lets the Devs see what they need to work on. Second, it lets potential customers who read the forums before playing see what kind of problems to expect, much the same way you read reviews on any item you can purchase online.

So again, someone shouldnt say "dont play this game". However, if someone decides not to play the game based on the problems they see other people discussing, well, then Cryptic needs to get to work. Its not the players fault for discussing the problems with the game.
I think the OPs point is not to squash constructive critism of the game.

Its just there has been a rash of threads started with the sole intend to encourage people to cancel (or convince them not to subscribe in the first place)

Also, posters that troll and flame people soley for saying that they are enjoying the game. An example of one such poster can be found in this very thread, in fact.

I like nothing more than reading people's ideas on how to improve STO. Many of them are excellent and I wholeheartedly agree with a lot of suggestions made (I've made a few of my own over the months). I don't even have a problem with "I Quit" threads so long as their purpose is to depart leaving some decent feedback (which does not include "STO SUX")

However some people flock to threads that have any hint of positivity, with the sole intent to try and mock and belittle people for daring to have fun. It seems to literally burn some people up that not every hates the game. They even try to suggest people should not post positive comments as those "don't help improve the game"

Well sorry, but thats rubbish. Telling a company what you like and what you enjoy is every bit as valuable as saying what you don't like. All feedback should be formatted and framed as a mix of "stop - start - continue".
Lt. Commander
# 35
03-03-2010, 07:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tribbler View Post
Hmmm, I wonder if the devs would really single out a true concern from a general bash topic.

The mod would, but the devs?

...opens door and enters the think tank....
From reading the Dev tracker, I've been pretty surprised at some of the threads they reply in. My point is that I guess the answer to your question is "yes".
Lt. Commander
# 36
03-03-2010, 07:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark-Oberion
I think the OPs point is not to squash constructive critism of the game.

Its just there has been a rash of threads started with the sole intend to encourage people to cancel (or convince them not to subscribe in the first place)

Also, posters that troll and flame people soley for saying that they are enjoying the game. An example of one such poster can be found in this very thread, in fact.

I like nothing more than reading people's ideas on how to improve STO. Many of them are excellent and I wholeheartedly agree with a lot of suggestions made (I've made a few of my own over the months). I don't even have a problem with "I Quit" threads so long as their purpose is to depart leaving some decent feedback (which does not include "STO SUX")

However some people flock to threads that have any hint of positivity, with the sole intent to try and mock and belittle people for daring to have fun. It seems to literally burn some people up that not every hates the game. They even try to suggest people should not post positive comments as those "don't help improve the game"

Well sorry, but thats rubbish. Telling a company what you like and what you enjoy is every bit as valuable as saying what you don't like. All feedback should be formatted and framed as a mix of "stop - start - continue".
Hey, I agree with all of that. However, the kind of behavior you discuss is present on all MMO forums, and there is only one effective way to deal with it: the report button. Posting threads like this accomplishes nothing(besides giving us something to talk about for a few minutes), because the people who behave like you described arent the kind you can "reason" with in the first place. If they were, they wouldnt be behaving like that.
Lt. Commander
# 37
03-03-2010, 08:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
Hey, I agree with all of that. However, the kind of behavior you discuss is present on all MMO forums, and there is only one effective way to deal with it: the report button. Posting threads like this accomplishes nothing(besides giving us something to talk about for a few minutes), because the people who behave like you described arent the kind you can "reason" with in the first place. If they were, they wouldnt be behaving like that.
Very true, my friend. Yet as fruitless as this endeavor can be sometimes, both sides still seem to persist (myself included). What can I say, its how I spend a quiet afternoon at work
Lt. Commander
# 38
03-03-2010, 07:03 PM
I bump because I care.

bump.