Lt. Commander
# 41
03-04-2010, 02:36 AM
I'm in a very similar situation as the OP, and I'd like to thank both him and the other posters who have given some great, honest, and very helpful advice, in both directions. Money really isn't the issue for me either. I am not an MMO player; I don't get the WoW references and I kinda had to look up "gold farming" because I don't get the jargon. I didn't know what to expect; It was Star Trek, and it was Online. That was good enough for me. Unfortunately, that's about the extent of documentation that we receive, except for a character generation primer. But I'm digressing. I didn't KNOW that these things weren't intended to be perfectish upon release, and that's a point in Cryptic's favor. They HAVE built a fun, if imperfect, game.

With all respect to the flaming atari logo dude, other people's opinions ARE important; they help us see things from a perspective we haven't considered. Like Picard incessantly muttering, "Suggestions?" around the conference table, a truly informed decision is based on every possible datapoint. And people who love the game are saying why. People who respect the OP's hesitancy are playing devil's advocate.

Lord.Funk, your post was exactly what I was looking for, and I thank you for it. I do want to support this game, and your words will go a long way toward my eventual decision to do so. Still on the fence, but all of you have helped a great deal, and I hope to see you "out there".

Eventually. :p
Lt. Commander
# 42
03-04-2010, 02:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wcoppock View Post
As a mathematician all these calculus references are painful. Also as a mathematician I sometimes find calculus more fun than STO, but that's not a bitter jab against the game. it has its fun moments too, but mathematicians can just have odd tastes at times.

Hehehe.... Each too there own I have 2 friends that are mathematician, Both teachers and they have a good life with lots of travel so its not all bad being into math

@YnrohKeeg

Do you really only have 1 GB ram or is that a Typo? Seems a waste on your system to only have 1 GB when these days ram is so cheap and will make your gaming experience so much better if you increase it. Oh and I take it you are not computer savy or you would know that you need 2 HDs to run in Raid so I take it you have 2 250gb drives Just pointing out to ya.
Lt. Commander
# 43
03-04-2010, 03:48 AM
Well there has been some good stuff so far, some of it utterly useless and totally having nothing to do with my thread, ie the calculus stuff and such, but some good points to consider.

I was actually expecting alot more trolling and flaming from both sides so i am surprised by the lack of it. Yet i also expected a more people to actually come up with reasons to stay. Dissappointed by the lack of community participation, but thats more cause of my ego and im the op. Who doesnt want to see a thread they start grow.

Anyway if there are any more thoughts on this i would like to hear them good or bad, it does keep a convo going. As its stands still leaning towards not resubbing and coming back in a few months. Although, some comments made have shorten the length of time i will wait. I was gonna make it about 6 months but im thinking 3 or 4 might be ok as well.
Lt. Commander
# 44
03-04-2010, 03:54 AM
Do what I did ...in closed beta and open beta I was so close to liking the game a lot...and then the issues that kept coming up ...kept coming up...and I put it down...I waited a week..missed the space combat and came back...

Now a month later..those same issues are still here...and I'll be walking away until they are fixed or I 'miss it'

Given that the community seems to take exception to anyone disagreeing with them..I sincerely doubt it would be the community that brings me back.. there is too much not think happening about here.

Lt. Commander
# 45
03-04-2010, 04:20 AM
Something else for everyone to consider. This community is still new. There are a lot of people who have never played MMO's before in STO. Right now the gaps between the hardcore players and the casual players is kind of wide. While that has always be the case somewhat there is a lot of diverse backgrounds attracted to this IP as oppose to some of the others out there and it will take a bit for the opinions to coalesce.
Lt. Commander
# 46 Just A Gamer
03-04-2010, 04:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troglis View Post
Well there are a few of you who seem to get what im looking for. Lord.Funk........Savnoka.......blkjag. Thanks for you feedback. Good points to consider, a few of which didnt cross my mind.
Quote:
Originally Posted by YnrohKeeg View Post
Lord.Funk, your post was exactly what I was looking for, and I thank you for it. I do want to support this game, and your words will go a long way toward my eventual decision to do so. Still on the fence, but all of you have helped a great deal, and I hope to see you "out there".

Eventually. :p
You are quite welcome.

I am not a fanboi nor a hater. Just a gamer, so I see it from that perspective.

It definetly adds to the enoyment of a game if the setting is something I can relate to. Like game based on a book, Movie, Series, myth or whatever I am interested in. Star Trek is one such thing. That being said it must still be a game worth playing.

Also one must understand the differet motives for playing a MMO/Massive MultiPlayer Online Game as opposed to a solo/single player game. One should always ask oneself do i really want to play and MMO. Sometimes some might find it more enjoyable playing solo games. I personally do both depending on my mood.

The biggest difference is the obvious, interaction with others. For good and for bad. When it feels stressful and gets to You, is when I take a break and play a solo game. However I usually end up missing the interaction and MMO feel and end up returning to the same MMO or find a new.
Lt. Commander
# 47
03-04-2010, 04:48 AM
I will say read my Star Trek Online Weekly and you will enjoy the game more

...for the community!
Lt. Commander
# 48
03-04-2010, 04:54 AM
I think the only question is to whether you look at your monthly fee as an investment or a payment.

If you see it as an investment, you're paying with the assumption that the game will eventually get better with the help of your money, and will fail if you don't stay subbed, then yeah, 15$ a month isn't exactly a lot so pay it then ignore the game for all it matters.

If you look at it as 'I'm only paying what it's worth', well, this game really isn't on par with other 15$ a month games out there right now, nor will it likely be for several months at best. So unsub then check back every once in awhile.

If for some bizarre reason you like running out of content and doing explores and lolpvp over and over I guess you could pay AND play, but I honestly don't see how anyone could find that fun for long right now.
Lt. Commander
# 49
03-04-2010, 04:56 AM
Meh my fleet is holding a best uniform competition tonight it should be fun
cant wait till the patch is done we can merge our alt fleet into our main fleet
Lt. Commander
# 50
03-04-2010, 05:07 AM
if you are resorting to asking other people to convince you to stay then i think the game has taken you as far as it can, you clearly want to stay but cant find good reason to or are just not having fun at the moment.

by the sounds of it plenty of stuff is on the horizon, more klingon pve, task force end game, other factions like romulans but it will take time to implement.
maybe stay a month, check out the 45 day patch and end game then make the call.

nothing wrong with leaving, then coming back in a few months. i do it all the time.

im keeping myself busy by playing an alt for about an hour a day, so im still in touch with the game but im not burning myself out, whilst experiencing a different class of ship and career.

they also fixed the teaming bug so when i enter a system, there is nearly always someone there to team with, which always helps

but as i said games are there for fun, if the fun is not there take a break and try again later or you might risk trying too hard to like it, then becoming sick of it.