Lt. Commander
# 21
03-03-2010, 05:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pasquatic
It did when I created my account in January.
I dont reecall seeing it then. Also, if you change it, what happens to your friends list? Will they still be able to contact you? What about mail you sent under the old @(name), but havent picked up before changing it?
Lt. Commander
# 22
03-03-2010, 05:39 PM
If you want to make it simple, just submit a ticket here http://forums.startrekonline.com/sendmessage.php (or in game).

Just say you would like to change your @name because if it currently the same as your forum login/account handle and then provide 3 names you would like (in priority order).

The 3 names help expedite the process if the name you would like is already taken.

I did mine back during Champions times so they were pretty quick about it...not sure how long it'll take, but they'll normally send you an email or PM when they do it.
Lt. Commander
# 23
03-03-2010, 05:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stefman123 View Post

with an onscreen keyboard it should be randomised as to where it appears this would stop people login the x and y axes of the mouse to determine what you have clicked
Have seen that work in free to play games - good idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moordrake View Post
Welcome late the game. There have been several threads on this already. Baiscally when you created the account if you specified your log in credentails for the @ name its on you. The game allows you to put anyhting you want for the @ name.
Maybe you got to choose a different name - not all of us did. Cryptic are aware of problem and its is mentioned in the engineering reports.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine_Falcon View Post
My suggestion would be that you not give anyone your password.

And by not give anyone your password I also mean: and keep your virus scan and spy-ware scan software up to date. Don't want to lose that password to keyloggers either.
Usually sound advice, but with @Login it may be possible to set up a program to automate log in and try many different codes. Doing so may take a long time, but simple password evaluation rules could be used. Not talented enough or inclined to do that myself, but some one - such as a gold spammer / farmer will be - selling online currency for real cash is big business.

Quote:
Originally Posted by erztez View Post
Yeah, some of us didn't even get THAT option. However, if you truly feel unsafe, just send them a mail asking for a handle change and give them three options. They'll get back to you eventually.

To be honest, I don't actually see a problem with this. You have my login? So what? Feel free to crack my 9-17 digit alphanumeric CaSe sensitive, p.un-ctu,a=tion filled password.

LOL on the password / encryption - kinda puts my last point down - but someone is bound to try it - if they have not already.

As for the advice to put a mail / ticket in, I did that as soon as I realised how @Login worked during open beta and again at launch - still waiting for anything other than a standard 'Your .....' reply.

I do think th OP has a good point. I also know this has been discussed many times on the forums. I'm just glad Cryptic are looking into it.
Lt. Commander
# 24
03-03-2010, 05:52 PM
there have been servial threads about this but ill clear this up again you have two names you account name and your account handle

example my account name is **********

but my handle is @Captain Butters

there different you just need to read carefully when you create a account

the devs have said that if security is a issue you can message them 3 alternate account names to log in with and they will chose one

you can still keep your account handle or @name that players will see

hope this helped

Butters
Lt. Commander
# 25
03-04-2010, 05:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Butters
there have been servial threads about this but ill clear this up again you have two names you account name and your account handle

example my account name is **********

but my handle is @Captain Butters

there different you just need to read carefully when you create a account

If you care to read carefully the previous posts, you will see that not everyone got the naming option you describe and that the naming options have changed. I mean no offence to you, but do no put others down!

the devs have said that if security is a issue you can message them 3 alternate account names to log in with and they will chose one

Fair point. Though I can tell you I messaged them during OB and after launch on this issue and was kind enough to give them multiple choices - more than three. I am still waiting for anything but a standard computer generated reply.

you can still keep your account handle or @name that players will see

hope this helped

No it did not and the general tone seemed to infer that people with this problem are illiterate morons - we are not.

Butters
Again - no offence meant to you.