Go Back   Star Trek Online > Support > Gameplay Bug Reports
Login

Notices

Lt. Commander
# 11
03-03-2010, 07:37 PM
Here is some info on how this works:
ē Critters donít affect player crew until they are level 11.
ē Shields donít affect the amount of crew that are injured or disabled.
ē Currently, a torp is a torp Ė whether it is a single photon torpedo, a photon salvo, or a tricobalt device, the chance and magnitude of crew loss is the same.
ē The magnitude of crew loss is not relevant based on ship class. That is, a fighters torpedo can injure the same amount of crew as a battleships torpedo.
ē However, the chance to injure crew is modified by critter ship. Cruisers and above have the same chance as players (50% chance to injure 20 or 20% of the targets crew, whichever is smaller; and 10% chance to disable 10 or 10% of the targets crew, whichever is smaller Ė both with a large variance). However, Frigates have 1/3 the chance to affect crew and fighters have a 1/5 the chance.

So when fighting 1 frigate, the numbers add up pretty well Ė 1/3 of the time, you will suffer crew loss, and thus you will lose 1/3 the crew than if you fought a cruiser. So, when you fight 3 frigates, statistically, you will lose crew just as often as when you fight a cruiser. The problem is frigates can get a lucky roll and take out 3 times as many crew as a single cruiser.

I canít see or repro and statistical errors. The only problem I am currently seeing is that there are usually more than 5 fighters. Iíll go ahead and reduce the chance on fighters to 1/7, and just for good measure, Iíll reduce frigate chances as well to ľ of cruisers. This change might take a couple weeks to go live, so watch for the release notes.
Lt. Commander
# 12
03-03-2010, 08:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainGeko
I canít see or repro and statistical errors. The only problem I am currently seeing is that there are usually more than 5 fighters. Iíll go ahead and reduce the chance on fighters to 1/7, and just for good measure, Iíll reduce frigate chances as well to ľ of cruisers. This change might take a couple weeks to go live, so watch for the release notes.
Now THAT is what developing a game is all about.

I am impressed that an issue has been raised, a developer has acknowledged it, provided a fair and logical solution and stated a fact that it will be introduced into the game in the relatively near future.

Thank you CaptainGeko.
Lt. Commander
# 13
03-03-2010, 08:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KappaTau
Now THAT is what developing a game is all about.

I am impressed that an issue has been raised, a developer has acknowledged it, provided a fair and logical solution and stated a fact that it will be introduced into the game in the relatively near future.

Thank you CaptainGeko.
I Agree
Thank you CaptainGeko
Lt. Commander
# 14
03-03-2010, 08:23 PM
Quote:
So when fighting 1 frigate, the numbers add up pretty well Ė 1/3 of the time, you will suffer crew loss, and thus you will lose 1/3 the crew than if you fought a cruiser. So, when you fight 3 frigates, statistically, you will lose crew just as often as when you fight a cruiser. The problem is frigates can get a lucky roll and take out 3 times as many crew as a single cruiser.
Interesting!

Are the rolls to determine crew loss based per mob/critter pack or individually per single entity?

I'd imagine if the rolls are per individual ship, the odds of getting all three frigates getting one of the high rolls at the same time to be pretty low. However, I have noticed that the 3 packs of frigate sized mobs will often do the same type of attack at the same time (triple shot of heavy plasma torpedo).

This could be coincidence, but it could also mean that the attack rolls that determine this all happen at the same time or are all the same roll, meaning that if a 3-pack manages to get a high roll, even if it is 1/3 as likely, it will always be devastating when it does happen.
Lt. Commander
# 15
03-03-2010, 08:38 PM
Quote:
ē Critters donít affect player crew until they are level 11.
ē Shields donít affect the amount of crew that are injured or disabled.
ē Currently, a torp is a torp Ė whether it is a single photon torpedo, a photon salvo, or a tricobalt device, the chance and magnitude of crew loss is the same.
ē The magnitude of crew loss is not relevant based on ship class. That is, a fighters torpedo can injure the same amount of crew as a battleships torpedo.
ē However, the chance to injure crew is modified by critter ship. Cruisers and above have the same chance as players (50% chance to injure 20 or 20% of the targets crew, whichever is smaller; and 10% chance to disable 10 or 10% of the targets crew, whichever is smaller Ė both with a large variance). However, Frigates have 1/3 the chance to affect crew and fighters have a 1/5 the chance.

Interesting, but I am curious, how does this apply to Carrier fighters and birds of prey? They use torpedos too, so do they use player calculations or NPC calculations?
Lt. Commander
# 16
03-03-2010, 08:39 PM
Nice work. I managed to die from crew loss without any noticable shield or hull damage yesterday and this explains how. I like the mechanic and hope that you can tweak it without going too far the other way.
Lt. Commander
# 17
03-03-2010, 08:58 PM
Is this Geko from City of Heroes fame???
Lt. Commander
# 18
03-03-2010, 09:59 PM
Quote:
Sweet.
Lt. Commander
# 19
03-04-2010, 12:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortechs View Post
Is this Geko from City of Heroes fame???
Kinda wondering that myself ...

Also wondering if he's "learned" from the example set by Castle over at City of Heroes.