Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > PvP Gameplay
Login

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 11
03-04-2010, 11:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunatec View Post
I remember countless episodes where someone got vaporized in a single shot. What show did you watch? In fact, I seem to remember that phasers had multiple settings...one of those being PWNURFACEVAPORIZEWTFNOOB. Realistic Star Trek combat would be very boring, imho.

Space combat: Did you see The Wrath of Khan? They dropped their shields WITHOUT firing! What about the magic torpedo in Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country. What about....let's just say that the science teams and engineering teams did a great deal of hacking and inventing crud to solve the shows problem. I suppose, if you wanted it to be like the show, we could shoot at each other for 40 minutes, then one of our BO's would pop up and say "Click here for really cool trick that will own the noobs!!"

But what fun would that be?

It is an MMO, and therefore there is a genre factor to be taken into consideration.
Don't you realize people are playing STO because it's Star Trek? How is STO reflecting this? How is the PVP reflecting this?

Even if you are resorting to the MMO Excuse, now many MMOs that allow 1 shot kills? How many MMOs allow spamming of abilities during combat? Where are our resist values? Where are the buffs that protect us from these abilities? Where is the uniqueness of character types?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 12
03-04-2010, 11:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azurian View Post
Don't you realize people are playing STO because it's Star Trek? How is STO reflecting this? How is the PVP reflecting this?

Even if you are resorting to the MMO Excuse, now many MMOs that allow 1 shot kills? How many MMOs allow spamming of abilities during combat? Where are our resist values? Where are the buffs that protect us from these abilities? Where is the uniqueness of character types?
SWG, WoW, ****, ***, EvE have all allowed one-hit kills (actually it is more like 2 shot kills, since someone has to be exposed first then exploited)

As for the rest, I blame that on haphazard and shoddy game design and a complete lack of listing to the Beta tester's feedback for months.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 13
03-04-2010, 11:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azurian View Post
\Even if you are resorting to the MMO Excuse, now many MMOs that allow 1 shot kills? How many MMOs allow spamming of abilities during combat?
Oh man, I don't mean to sound like I'm being rude, but it doesn't sound like you've played many MMOs, if you haven't run into these things many times before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azurian View Post
Where are our resist values? Where are the buffs that protect us from these abilities? Where is the uniqueness of character types?
In space, you get the resists from abilities as well as engineering consoles. On the ground, you rely on your traits, armor, and shield. Furthermore, I've seen all kinds of uniqueness in character types -- everything from traits to skills to equipment types. Are there cookie-cutter builds? Yeah, but those are there even in CO, which allows for INSANE levels of customization.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 14
03-04-2010, 12:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunatec View Post
SWG, WoW, ****, ***, EvE have all allowed one-hit kills (actually it is more like 2 shot kills, since someone has to be exposed first then exploited)

As for the rest, I blame that on haphazard and shoddy game design and a complete lack of listing to the Beta tester's feedback for months.
Funny, I don't recall 1 shot kills in SWG or ****. Everquest had them, but eventually nerfed them, for player balancing.

But yes, Cryptic didn't listen to the Beta Testers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIgmo
Oh man, I don't mean to sound like I'm being rude, but it doesn't sound like you've played many MMOs, if you haven't run into these things many times before.


In space, you get the resists from abilities as well as engineering consoles. On the ground, you rely on your traits, armor, and shield. Furthermore, I've seen all kinds of uniqueness in character types -- everything from traits to skills to equipment types. Are there cookie-cutter builds? Yeah, but those are there even in CO, which allows for INSANE levels of customization.
EQ, EQ2, ****, SWG, and now STO.

The only Resists you got are your Shields and Armor, but what about protection against SNB, Jamming, or Viral Matrix? Omega and Teams aren't good enough, due to stacking.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 15
03-04-2010, 12:05 PM
[quote=Azurian;2299339]Funny, I don't recall 1 shot kills in SWG or ****. Everquest had them, but eventually nerfed them, for player balancing.

But yes, Cryptic didn't listen to the Beta Testers.


SWG 1 or Two shot kills:

pre-cu:
CM/Rifles (mind disease + headhot3)
BH/MPistols (de-10 + eyeshot unbuffed)
Jedi pre-saber nerf

CU:
CM/BH
Jedi

NGE:
Spy
Officer
etc

Those are examples of 1 or 2 skills that ended pvp quickly with no counters.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 16
03-04-2010, 12:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azurian View Post
The only Resists you got are your Shields and Armor, but what about protection against SNB, Jamming, or Viral Matrix? Omega and Teams aren't good enough, due to stacking.
The Sensor Jamming and VM can BOTH be remedied by using Science Team, though I hear that there may be a bug that keeps Science Team from preventing further debuffs during the time it is active. Currently Subnucleonic Beam has no effective defense other than a team that keeps you healed up while it is active.

Edit:
Also, maybe my memory is failing me, but I seem to remember getting 1-shot killed by certain spells in ****.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 17
03-04-2010, 12:14 PM
I agree in the sense that I was hoping ship combat would be more intricate and slower paced. More "Star Fleet Battles" tabletop wargame and less arcade game shoot-em-up.

Still, the combat is more intricate than EVE. EVE didn't have shield facings at all and didn't really even have combat powers or free flying ships in the sense that STO does.

But it could have been so much more. We could have intricate power management systems, system damage (not just weapons being disabled but like torpedo tube #3 has been damaged and you've basically got the engineering team in there banging on it with hammers trying to get it firing again).

Of course, I have no idea if that would be more or less popular than the arcade shoot-em-up we have now.



Ground combat would probably be better as an FPS but that's a whole new can of worms for an MMORPG to handle.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 18
03-04-2010, 12:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunatec View Post
Space combat: Did you see The Wrath of Khan? They dropped their shields WITHOUT firing! What about the magic torpedo in Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country. What about....let's just say that the science teams and engineering teams did a great deal of hacking and inventing crud to solve the shows problem. I suppose, if you wanted it to be like the show, we could shoot at each other for 40 minutes, then one of our BO's would pop up and say "Click here for really cool trick that will own the noobs!!"
And if it were patterned after Voyager, you couldn't do anything unless your character was named "Janeway."
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 19
03-04-2010, 12:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slamz
Ground combat would probably be better as an FPS but that's a whole new can of worms for an MMORPG to handle.
I don't know how well that level of "twitch" combat would work in an MMO. I guess there's that "Massive Action Game," or whatever, that's doing something similar -- anyone know how that's working out?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 20
03-04-2010, 12:34 PM
If they changed the BO abilities to be passive instead of active abilities... it might be more StarTrek-y. especially in space.

aside from a few special abilities like tractor beam, emergency power to shields/weapons/auxilliary/structure, maximum yield torpedo, beam overload/rapid fire, attack patterns, mine dispersal, directed modulation etc. etc.

the rest could be turned into passive defensive or offensive abilities that either augment a certain part of your ship, like shields and armor-resistances, sensor-strength (range not least of all), weapons (range, power, cooldown, duration of beams etc.).
Sure, you could say that we have ship consoles for that now to a certain degree.
but this would be another level of customization. activated abilities would give more, but they're short burst abilities. while passive abilities would be 'on' all the time.

as for ground combat... it's difficult to turn what you see in the movies and series into a game...
one-shot-kill works on the big and small screen, but if you're on the receiving end of it ... it's another matter.
but, cryptic could do with playing some of the old Star Trek games to see how they solved it.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:45 AM.